• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    +1 for Charm City Run. They fitted me more than 10 years ago and put me in the right shoe. Excellent service and a shoe that contributed to your health. I have returned several times.

Think in terms of that service the way we all talk about shopping at a LGS vs. Bass Pro, etc.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    G.B. Shaw

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Last year my wife and I decided we were going to hike a 14 mile loop from our place that backs up to dolly sods in WV. She didn't have a pack and mine was only about 25lbs of gear just in case we needed to stay the night on the trail. We got back to our place and within 10 minutes of sitting down on the couch I was done. My legs and hips hurt pretty bad. We hike a few times a year and used to backpack all the time. I'm 46 and I can't do the month long backpacking trips anymore.

I agree with you, many of the folks that plan to bug out haven't tried it. Knowing your limit and your groups ability to work together is key. I took a guy from work out for the weekend a couple years ago. Nothing hard just some miles on the AT. That fool shows up with the largest backpack he could find stuffed with all the tacticool stuff in his closet. Withing the first 45 minutes we knew he made a mistake. He was in shape and a big weight lifter but we didn't put a lot of miles in that weekend.

dolly sods is rough terrain. I usually go there once or twice a year. sometimes more. I try to keep my backpack to 15 lbs. When I did a 4 night hike I believe my backpack was under 25 lbs.

I don't mind a bug out bag being heavier though. You can always throw out things you don't need, based on whatever is happening. And that is what I would intend to do.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    If you don't like running try fast backpacking. It's exactly what it sounds like. Just backpack at a really fast pace. I find it fun to see how quick I can do solo hikes.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Something to keep in mind is that getting into shape is a journey, not a destination. So don’t try to do it all in one workout. As hard as it is for some to get into shape from where they are at the present, it will be even harder from a wheelchair.

I hike or ruck maybe once per week, and do some medium distance running and sprints, but mostly I do lower impact stuff for cardio.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Ditto on Dolly Sods being rough terrain. This is not strolling along a flat even path through the woods. Dolly Sods trails are strewn with large rocks and full of mud holes. Step short, step long, step up, step down step around, stop, start. No way to get into a rhythm on some of the trails. Do that for a few miles with a pack on your back and your body is right to complain.
    I run 8 miles every weekend. I can do the 8 mile hike with a backpack in Dolly Sods is but I will sure feel it afterwards. It is just exhausting.

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    If you really have a goal to be mentally strong as well as physically, consider training for an ultramarathon. Start with 50k and work up to 100 milers. I have dealt with more suffering, discomfort, wild and crazy encounters with bad situations and animals in a 100 miler than I would normally get in everyday life. Not only am I able and prepared physically to be on my feet for 50+ hours, but I have experience doing it without sleep. I don't consider myself a super prepper by any stretch of the imagination, but my ultra experiences have been valuable for sure. I'm ready to move if the SHTF.

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    Also, FWIW, ditch Charm City and get your shoes from Holabird Sports. You save some $$ and they have a much larger selection. :)

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    This is a great thread and probably one of the only here where I can share some expertise. I don’t run as much as I used to but I’ve been stepping it up again recently. Used to do everything from mile races to trail marathons in my early 30s (I’m early 40s now). After lots of ups and downs with alternate sedentary and all-out hard stretches of physical training, I’m of the opinion that the best thing you can do is run on soft dirt trails and steer clear of concrete and pavement. If you can’t run, hike regularly but as much as possible on hiking trails, and the tougher the terrain the better. Speed doesn’t matter at all for trails, just time on your feet. I’m very fortunate to have a place with a trail that connects to the Greenway and I’ve been getting out nearly every day to run at the hottest part of the day. Even though I’m slacking on strength training (and I have since the lockdown began) my entire body feels stronger, my posture is better, and I have none of the dings I’m always fighting when I run on roads. Now if the SHTF, I’m perhaps just as likely to haul ass on pavement as in the woods, but moving on flat hard surfaces feels like nothing compared to going up or down rocky root-covered hills. Moving on difficult terrain also trains proprioception and general situational awareness which are important for self-defense and general survival.

I know many here are dealing with injuries and there are widely varying fitness levels, but I totally agree with the OP. Before I ever thought about real disaster prep, I wouldn’t let myself go downhill in endurance or functional strength bc I always knew there might be a day when I have to run or fight my way to safety, or both. Also thanks in part to the info on this forum I have another skill I can use if things get truly bad.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    If you really have a goal to be mentally strong as well as physically, consider training for an ultramarathon. Start with 50k and work up to 100 milers. I have dealt with more suffering, discomfort, wild and crazy encounters with bad situations and animals in a 100 miler than I would normally get in everyday life. Not only am I able and prepared physically to be on my feet for 50+ hours, but I have experience doing it without sleep. I don't consider myself a super prepper by any stretch of the imagination, but my ultra experiences have been valuable for sure. I'm ready to move if the SHTF.

What 100s have you done? Never got beyond about 28 miles myself and I doubt I want to subject myself to 100, but I crewed for a friend running Leadville a couple years ago and got to pace him to the finish. Even support was one of the most exhausting things ever but it was a lot of fun. Amazing scenery.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    After my gym opened back up, to reset myself back into shape I did the Starting Strength program. It worked so well I’ve since move onto the Texas Method strength program. I doubt there’s a better return on investment in terms of results achieved for time invested than the starting strength program.

Highly recommended!

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    After my gym opened back up, to reset myself back into shape I did the Starting Strength program. It worked so well I’ve since move onto the Texas Method strength program. I doubt there’s a better return on investment in terms of results achieved for time invested than the starting strength program.

Highly recommended!

Had to google the Texas method and it looks pretty brutal...so maybe I’ll try it! Powerlifting type stuff is great for grip strength and mine really sucks lately which is showing when I shoot a handgun.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Had to google the Texas method and it looks pretty brutal...so maybe I’ll try it! Powerlifting type stuff is great for grip strength and mine really sucks lately which is showing when I shoot a handgun.

Oh yeah, wanna work on grip strength wo fancy gimmicks? try doing a curl with your palms facing down...:innocent0

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Oh yeah, wanna work on grip strength wo fancy gimmicks? try doing a curl with your palms facing down...:innocent0

Funny you mention that, I have a curling bar at home and used to do it mostly overhand, for some reason switched back to underhand exclusively. Today is the day I switch back...

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    An elephant lifespan is between 60-70 years their heart rate is about 27 BPM

A Humming bird lifespan it typically a few years with a heart rate between 250-1260 BPM

The moral is don' use up your heart beats, slow and steady.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

I’ve thought about making some dumbbells with Poly 80 Glock frames. Or even a cable machine attachment made from a Poly 80 frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom