How about working to eliminate the waiting period?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    With the implementation of the HQL, would it make sense that we could potentially pick a battle to get rid of the 7 day waiting period for regulated firearms? As I originally remember it, it was initially done to allow mailing time between MSP and FFL. Then as data became computerized, it morphed into a 'cooling off' period (I could be wrong about this but that's how I remember it). I think an argument could be made that the HQL does this but then again, this IS Maryland we are talking about, so prolly not.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Makes entirely too much sense to be a viable option in MD. If you already own handguns, have an HQL, or have a wear and carry permit the waiting period is pointless.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If the wait time is really a "cool down" period as it was designed to be, I never understood the point of implementing it on a second, third, or 99th gun purchase. If the buyer already owns a legal regulated firearm, what good is a cool-down period? Silly question, I know.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There may be an avenue to challenge the waiting period in court, as a challenge to CA's 10-day wait has so far been successful in the 9th circuit, however the challenge there only pertains to those who have already been vetted once before.

Otherwise, such a change would require legislation in the General Assembly. There simply aren't enough pro-gun senators and representatives to sway such a change as things stand right now. We need more allies and more people to understand that a right delayed is indeed a right denied.

We'd all love to see the waiting period go away, and as bad as it is here, we don't hold a candle to those in NY. In some places there, it can take a year or more to just be able to buy a handgun.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If the wait time is really a "cool down" period as it was designed to be, I never understood the point of implementing it on a second, third, or 99th gun purchase. If the buyer already owns a legal regulated firearm, what good is a cool-down period? Silly question, I know.

We at least need to have a few of the pro-2A members of the General Assembly to propose such legislation. Even if it doesn't get out of committee, the publicity and education of the legislature and general public needs to start somewhere.

I'd guarantee that practically NONE of the current GA knows this is current law; even some of our friends.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    With our current governor and legislature, you have to approach it from a budgetary angle. The waiting period doesn't cost the state anything. However, the MSP background check does. It costs manhours to check 17 different databases, the same databases that are checked for the HQL. If we can propose legislation to save money by removing redundant background checks for HQL holders, we might make some headway.

How often does msp check on HQL holders? Is it just when someone applies or is there a computer running checks looking for people that screw up?

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    From what I understand, they are now using the additional checks and waiting periods essentially as a "check-up" to ensure that the person purchasing a handgun hasn't become ineligible since the last time he/she purchased one. BS argument meant to just screw with gun owners, but an argument that will likely hold up in our wonderful courts system.

More than the waiting period, I would like to see the one hand gun per 30 days restriction removed. Now I haven't purchased or had the need to purchase multiple handguns at the same time. But if I choose to I should be able to. I know the reasoning is to limit the effect of straw purchases, but still BS in my book.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If the wait time is really a "cool down" period as it was designed to be
    It was never designed to be a "cool-down" period. It was put in place to deal with snail-mailed 77r forms, before faxes and (soon) Internet submissions took over.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah, no. Go back and read the accounts and MGA testimony from 1966. It was at least as much about cooling off period as the background check.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Im assuming that the redundant waiting periods will be a part of the HQL lawsuit that MSI will be filing in the coming days. Its actually one aspect of the case where we stand the best chance of winning at least a partial victory.

In the meantime i would suggest waiting until the remedies through the courts are exhausted, as "fixing" the general assembly's cluster**** for them, only makes litigation more difficult.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The courts agree.

But, AFAIK, the MD code never calls is a cooling off period.

If they did, there would be grounds for a suit to have it removed, especially on purchases after the first one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From what I understand, they are now using the additional checks and waiting periods essentially as a "check-up" to ensure that the person purchasing a handgun hasn't become ineligible since the last time he/she purchased one. BS argument meant to just screw with gun owners, but an argument that will likely hold up in our wonderful courts system.

More than the waiting period, I would like to see the one hand gun per 30 days restriction removed. Now I haven't purchased or had the need to purchase multiple handguns at the same time. But if I choose to I should be able to. I know the reasoning is to limit the effect of straw purchases, but still BS in my book.

Get your Designated Collector. Free. No more 1 per 30 day limit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ah, no. Go back and read the accounts and MGA testimony from 1966. It was at least as much about cooling off period as the background check.

But what does the law say?

It might help a case, but unless the law calls it a cooling off period, the courts may not help.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    That's the problem with common sense gun laws. For the most part, they make no sense...common or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom