• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Looking at a new steyr AUG, interested in opinions from owners, it's a lot of $$$, and I'd have to sell a couple rifles to get it so wondering if it would be worth the price of admission.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I almost posted this yesterday. I've recently become obsessed with bullpups, and I like the egos of the AUG better than the Tavor or X95. A search of MDS didn't reveal much, so I'm guessing they're not real popular with members here...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You understand that the AUG is banned in MD, right? It's a named assault long gun. (You could make an interesting case that the M3 has a couple of small parts incompatibilities from the A1, but I would not want to argue it out in court.)

That said, I have an AUG A3 NATO, which I run with a TA01NSN. Once you upgrade the trigger (using a NeuTrigger or one of the more expensive options) , it's a nice enough gun. I don't consider it to be as good as the Tavor or X95 from an ergonomic or balance perspective, but it is mildly more lefty-friendly.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Looking at a new steyr AUG, interested in opinions from owners, it's a lot of $$$, and I'd have to sell a couple rifles to get it so wondering if it would be worth the price of admission.

If you are still living in MD, you can't buy one. They are banned by name.

This is the one gun I was not able to buy that I really wanted. Just ran out of money andtime

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I wanted one before the curtain fell but it was steep. Settled for Tavor. I like it and got the 9 mm kit but haven't fired it yet. Since the curtain fell you'll have to have pinned flash hider to make the 29" rule.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Closest we can get is a MSAR STG 556.

There 8s no parts coat ability with the AUG, other than the mag. They also have a model that takes AR mags.

The maker Microtech, went out of business last year. However I hear Samson bought them and are making them again.

Here are some on Gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Msar+stg
    I personally wouldn't buy a MSAR STG556, they're no longer in business. Which is always troubling to me. There is some support through Ratworx & PJA investment.

I had one and sold it for the real deal (nato) AUG. The ergos are definitely better than my Tavor, the trigger is the sore spot for me.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Reported accuracy is horrible. Has that been your experience?
    Don't own one yet, so I can't comment personally. Someone on ARFCOM did post up a comparison that showed his recently-purchased X95 out-performing his BCM carbine at a hundred yards, so it could be that maybe some bad barrels went out initially?

Then again, if shooting tiny groups is your thing, a bullpup is probably not the right choice for that.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    We had one at a shop I worked at forever. Still there. I believe it has been there for almost 2 years, and it was reasonably priced when I checked. They are cool and I want one just for the heck of it, but that trigger is DOGSHIT like many bullpups.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    I personally wouldn't buy a MSAR STG556, they're no longer in business. Which is always troubling to me. There is some support through Ratworx & PJA investment.

I had one and sold it for the real deal (nato) AUG. The ergos are definitely better than my Tavor, the trigger is the sore spot for me.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

So if you could only keep one (Tavor/AUG)?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Don't own one yet, so I can't comment personally. Someone on ARFCOM did post up a comparison that showed his recently-purchased X95 out-performing his BCM carbine at a hundred yards, so it could be that maybe some bad barrels went out initially?

Then again, if shooting tiny groups is your thing, a bullpup is probably not the right choice for that.

Thanks. I don't go on ARFCOM but will look up the thread.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Aug over Tavor Hands down !! Aug has been available since the late 80s ( Very proven platform) . Great shooters ( Trigger pull is a bit heavy but there is ways to fix it just like the Tavor) Whats also Great about the Aug its like a Ar15 or Beretta 92 All parts between the different models are interchangeable. If I want to go left or right handed I don't have to send it back to the factory to have it swapped ( you do with the Tavor). The gun comes apart like a military gun should, Fast Easy and no screws !! Easy to clean and maintain. They are very accurate ! ( Some people (not all !) have reported accuracy issues with the Tavor) A barrel swap on a AUG to different lengths or profiles is 15 second swap. The Factory optics weather old or the new 3X Are extremely nice. I had 2 Tavors. But sold them once I shot them. The Tavor is neat As its both a copy of sorts of the modern Israeli Rifle ( As I do love there weapons), And it has a more modern Ergonomics than the Aug. Maybe I'm old school But love me some AUG . My 2 cents !

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't understand the AUG love on here, and as I've mentioned, I currently own both the AUG A3 and a Tavor and have pretty significant trigger time behind both. Maybe I have different priorities.

The AUG has a quick-change barrel, but I've NEVER used that other than for maintenance purposes or cheap party tricks, where it is nice, but hardly a game changer. I've yet to hear of someone who claims they made a habit of swapping AUG barrels on the range, or even in combat. Admittedly, you can convert it to left-handed ejection easily... trade-off being that you don't get a matching right-hand side charging handle, and you don't get to use AR magazines in lefty mode. The Tavor is slower to convert, but winds up in a true lefty config when you're done.

The Tavor has a much better magazine release, and, IMHO, a much more usable selector for people raised on ARs. I'm not a big fan of the Tavor's bolt-release, but 99% of the time, I just use the charging handle (conveniently located right where I need to put my support hand anyways). I also think the balance is much better, with the weight of the gun in the back. Did anyone mention that the Tavor has tritium factory BUIS, whereas the AUG has no BUIS? That was one of the reasons I used a TA01NSN on my A3, so that I'd have some backup irons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom