• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Hey everyone, hope you are all having a good weekend so far. As some of you know I recently finished my M16A1 clone, and to be honest it is my favorite AR I've ever had. A few questions though:

Through various documentaries, movies, and photos I see green tape used on M16s for camo, and specifically to affix mags together "jungle style". Particularly Mac V Sog and other units I've read about dabbled in taping mags together. My question is, what is that green tape? It looks too shiny to be just green duct tape. Anybody have any idea what it is and where I can get some?

The triangle handguards were inherently wiggly and loose. I see the green tape used here as well. Question is, does anyone have any other tips on how to get a tighter fit on them? It seems to make a bit of noise here and there. Kinda like the sling, which I guess is why alot of them modified them before the "silent sling" came about.

Thanks!

And for good measure:

8af765098e9695463c372e7e70cf7a93.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    That steel pot is bringing back some memories. I'm envious of that build.
    The tape I can vaguely remember from my army days but can't remember it technical name or nomenclature. I'm drawing a blank about tightening up the hand guards, yeah I know I'm a big help. :o

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For proper USGI use, use the following, 100 mph tape and if you want to go SEAL style use a twig or small stick between the mags as a spacer as most would go to a mag clamp style versus the Hollywood one up one down mag style. Didn't want muck getting in the spare mag when you went prone.
    For the handguards use the same tape, zip ties or hose clamps. Although the hose clamps where used more by SOG and SF most notably on the Son Tay raid to affix Maglites and mini Maglites.
    Tape also works on the sling to quiet it down a bit.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was in the Army 10 years (82 - 92). I had the same steel pot and an A2. As I recall, the hand guards fit well. We did not have to do anything special, so I want to say it's your build. The only tape we had we called "100 mile an hour tape". I don't recall any shiny tape.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Thanks everyone. All good info! As far as the handguards, my ARs with A2 handguards fit great. Triangles are hit or miss. My guess is because of the rushed production during wartime, and nobody making repros.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Why? My issued M16A1 had an A1 birdcage on it.

Well, I think sometimes the little things really sharpen in up. Looks to have a tear drop forward assist, and no shell deflector. It actually would complete the package.

But to each his own.

Mine is clearly a modern A2. I wanted to go the same retro way, but due to being left handed, I opted for the modern A2 with the deflector. That decision made me just go more modern all the way through.

The OP's is nice!

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    The tape is the older 100 mile an hour tape. It did have a sheen to it and came in a Forrest green, not the later dark olive drab color. A piece of cardboard between the mags and a copious amount of 100 mile an hour tape makes for a field expedient dual mag set up. Tilt the left mag a little to the rear and have the right mag sit just a RCH lower.

I was in the service in the 80's and while in garrison and in thE REMF duty stations, I used to catch hell for the shit I did like taped magazines and carting a bunch of field manuals in my BDU pockets. I did it anyway. Got called on the carpet a lot and didn't win any points at those cheese eating inspections. But I did it anyway. I figured I'm a soldier first, not some brown nosing, ass-kissing Hollywood wannabe.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Well, I think sometimes the little things really sharpen in up. Looks to have a tear drop forward assist, and no shell deflector. It actually would complete the package.

But to each his own.

Mine is clearly a modern A2. I wanted to go the same retro way, but due to being left handed, I opted for the modern A2 with the deflector. That decision made me just go more modern all the way through.

The OP's is nice!

You could have located a brass deflector and mounted it to the carry handle, like the lefties did back in the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

But to each his own.

The OP's is nice!

I love the look of the 3 prong, but I'm going for an A1. I still wish I had XM grey receiver but oh well. I'm crazy about this thing! All my other ARs seem boring now. Haha

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I've seen olive duct tape and a dark green duct tape used by the military. I've seen the dark green stuff used and I think it might have been referred to as "ordnance tape".
    I did a search for "ordnance tape nsn " and I found an image that looks like what I remember I saw.

Maybe it's the same stuff.

http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/Tape.htm

https://octopart.com/7510-00-074-5124-abilityone-39100367

Granger has it
    https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...-_-{subid}-_-productfeed&avad=196442_bc5e18bb

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've seen olive duct tape and a dark green duct tape used by the military. I've seen the dark green stuff used and I think it might have been referred to as "ordnance tape".
    I did a search for "ordnance tape nsn " and I found an image that looks like what I remember I saw.

Maybe it's the same stuff.

http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/Tape.htm

https://octopart.com/7510-00-074-5124-abilityone-39100367

Granger has it
    https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...-_-{subid}-_-productfeed&avad=196442_bc5e18bb

I was just going to post this.

Ordnance tape.

On aircraft, it was used to tape over gun port holes. Then when the guns were fired, it would be blown off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom