• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    And veprs arent a pain to do stuff too, they are just a pain...in MARYLAND. Good old maryland laws, its like the saying if you cant convince them, baffle them with ********.

Of course when I say they are a pain I'm speaking on our situation here in MD. But yeah sounds like the magazine availability sucks.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    I have shot both an AK and my VZ2008 (both folding stock and with a VZ58 beaver barf stock added to it)
    Vz shoots better than the AK I shot.

If you just want the AK to have an AK, then this opinion does not matter. I can respect the "because its an AK". that's fine.

I have been thinking the AK w/ Pistol brace lately.

Yeah I'm in the mindset right now of I want as close to as an ak as I can get with good magazine/part availability. The arsenal 107r seems to fit the bill and it seems like the 30 rounders are readily available . The vz 58 is a fine weapon and again if I can't make a decision on an ak wanna be I'll surely drop the money on the vz.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Get the vepr, ergonomics, accuracy, and decent sights are way overrated anyways! Even though its not an ak, look at the PTR 32. HK ergos, 762x39, uses ak mags (some) and apparently accurate as hell. Readily available parts and can take hk91 handgaurds, stocks, etc. But if youve got to have an ak style, vz58 gonna be your best bet if you wanna tinker.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Get the vepr, ergonomics, accuracy, and decent sights are way overrated anyways! Even though its not an ak, look at the PTR 32. HK ergos, 762x39, uses ak mags (some) and apparently accurate as hell. Readily available parts and can take hk91 handgaurds, stocks, etc. But if youve got to have an ak style, vz58 gonna be your best bet if you wanna tinker.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018

Lol. I have looked at the ptr looks like a fine firearm but again I feel if I don't go the ak ish route then I'll just snag myself a vz58. So many options right now to think on. Hopefully some Arsenal owners can jump in and give me some feedback/advice

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    AK74’s seem to be all good to go

Atlantic sells the AIMS 74 with a wire folder or now fixed stock, along with polish tantal’s.

Ironically you can still buy an RPD (Belt fed rpk essentially) in MD.

Pretty much as long as its 5.56 or 5.45 AK its good to buy in MD. Problem is finding a vendor who will ship one here. Atlantic makes it hassle free but you will be limited to the few AK74’s they sell. I’ve been very happy with my AIMS 74. I had a Zastava M90NP but did not like it much, more of a novelty. I needed a real AK.

an Arsenal 104FR may be the best most true AK74 you can buy in MD, unfortunately they stopped production and sell for $1200-1400

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    AK74’s seem to be all good to go

Atlantic sells the AIMS 74 with a wire folder or now fixed stock, along with polish tantal’s.

Ironically you can still buy an RPD (Belt fed rpk essentially) in MD.

Pretty much as long as its 5.56 or 5.45 AK its good to buy in MD. Problem is finding a vendor who will ship one here. Atlantic makes it hassle free but you will be limited to the few AK74’s they sell. I’ve been very happy with my AIMS 74. I had a Zastava M90NP but did not like it much, more of a novelty. I needed a real AK.

an Arsenal 104FR may be the best most true AK74 you can buy in MD, unfortunately they stopped production and sell for $1200-1400
    Well the list only says the fr model. And one of the largest retail sites for arsenal firearms said the fr can be shipped and is legal in Maryland based on their website.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    This is what I'm referring to. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180809-155140.jpg
      Screenshot_20180809-155140.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 230
    • Screenshot_20180809-155308.jpg
      Screenshot_20180809-155308.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 248

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the slr-106 as an option. MD legal, and would be my choice as I also have your affliction.

Cons-
    magazine availability
    Some serial numbers have issues
    More expensive and less available than a x39 ak

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Honestly, it doesn't matter what K-VAR says. You need to confirm that your receiving MD FFL agrees that it's legal and is willing to transfer it.

Of course. I'm just trying to get my facts straight and not weigh it out as an option if it is in fact legal

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the slr-106 as an option. MD legal, and would be my choice as I also have your affliction.

Cons-
    magazine availability
    Some serial numbers have issues
    More expensive and less available than a x39 ak

Why's does magazine availability always have to be a problem lol. Maybe I should consider the 104

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Why's does magazine availability always have to be a problem lol. Maybe I should consider the 104

Good luck finding a decent price 104, the market has gone crazy since they stopped imports.

Midway stocks 20 rounders for the 106 and I've seen them at shows. Not impossible to find.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Per some other commenters, there are firearms that the MSP has blessed that have pistol grips, bullet guides, etc. and are mechanically identical to a VEPR.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy a VEPR and swap out some furniture—clearly this does not violate the spirit of whatever logic the MSP uses to determine what is kosher and what's not. But I understand other's reluctance.

Thankfully I also didn't have to make this choice post-2013.

Sirex