• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I will be retiring in 12 to 18 months. Will definately be leaving Maryland. We are considering Delaware as we need to stay close to grandkids who are in Md so what are everyone's thoughts on going east vs west to WV? I want WV for all the reasons stated above but wife wants Delaware as health care and airports are on her long range plan.

Look near Romney wv or Capon bridge. 30-45 min drive to Winchester va with nice health care facilities and airports around DC would be 1.5-2 hours away.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    For firearms stuff that is now in WV law books, you should be thanking the WVCDL. They were the ones that managed to get con-carry pushed through the state house. Imagine the NRA, but for the state of WV. They are a non-political organization and believe me, they call an anti an anti.

NRA doesn’t hold a candle to WVCDL.

Yes, your analogy is correct in that WVCDL is a state level “NRA,” but unlike the NRA the WVCDL is playing offense in WV, constantly moving the needle in our direction, constantly passing good legislation, and fixing bad legislation.

They seek, and get, results without kowtowing like the “bump stocks need to be reviewed by ATF” NRA.

Sorry, but the distinction ended to be made.

WVCDL actually gets my money every year. NRA does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I liked the idea of moving to WV too, but there are a lot of issues with the demographics there too. A lot of drug use, theft, and general low income hillbilly problems.

And the land is cheap, but the jobs aren't plenty.

They breed too fast.

LMAO

And that’s different from MD... how?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    NRA doesn’t hold a candle to WVCDL.

Yes, your analogy is correct in that WVCDL is a state level “NRA,” but unlike the NRA the WVCDL is playing offense in WV, constantly moving the needle in our direction, constantly passing good legislation, and fixing bad legislation.

They seek, and get, results without kowtowing like the “bump stocks need to be reviewed by ATF” NRA.

Sorry, but the distinction ended to be made.

WVCDL actually gets my money every year. NRA does not.

Well that is the truth. I follow WVCDL on fb and see what they are doing every day, while playing offense. If only MSI took a page from their playbook, instead of compromising with the people that screw us.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    [Grrr...typo in subject line.]

So, personal circumstances are finally aligning so I can seriously think about moving out of Maryland. I'm looking at a 2-3 year timeline.

I considered VA and PA initially because my sons are likely staying in MD and I don't want to be across the country from them. However, with both of those states on the march to turn blue, WV is next in line. I'm looking at the hilly area in the east where there's a big dark sky hole since I have some telescopes and want to spend time using them.

Of course, for me the biggest draw is WVs firearms laws and that's where the question comes in. For those of you who live there and keep track, how does the immediate political future look from that perspective? Is it possible you guys will dump Manchin? What is the likelihood of the blue virus infecting WV?

Any constructive thoughts will be appreciated.

Are you retired? Still working? Commuting? What part of WV are you looking at in particular? Big differences between The panhandles, NCWV, southern WV.

I’ve been back for just over 3 years now and don’t regret it at all. Job is going great. But I also grew up here, so my WV move was a “going home” decision. I do miss all the friends I made 8 years in Baltimore, and the social life a larger metropolitan city permitted. But big pictures it’s been a net positive.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Are you retired? Still working? Commuting? What part of WV are you looking at in particular? Big differences between The panhandles, NCWV, southern WV.

I’ve been back for just over 3 years now and don’t regret it at all. Job is going great. But I also grew up here, so my WV move was a “going home” decision. I do miss all the friends I made 8 years in Baltimore, and the social life a larger metropolitan city permitted. But big pictures it’s been a net positive.

All mentioned upthread, but what the heck...yeah, it's retirement time so no consideration for commuting. I have searches centered on Hacker Valley, Romney and Snowshoe, mainly because of the dark sky hole in that area for some amateur astronomy. I'm looking forward to it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    How's Pocohontas County? I spent some time down there a couple summers ago and it was beautiful. Big woods, gentle hills, and friendly people. Wouldn't mine getting some wooded property down there.
    oh yeah....with the amount of Public land available, you really dont need more than a few acres of your own!!! :)

My Dad was born in Arbovale...right next to Greenbank in Pocahontas County. Made many family visits growing up and well into adulthood. I still go back evety few years even though I no longer have close family to visit (all moved away or passed away). You're right....it is beautful. Great hinting (i used to hunt Back Mountain on the road between Cass and Durbin back in the 80s). Good to excellent fishing in the area as well. Trout (stocked year round), small mouth, rock bass bream and some other fish are plentiful. 80% of the county is National Forest. Convenience? Well no nearby hospitals and only a few small stores here and there although somewhat more than 20 or 30 years ago.. There are some scattered medical clinics. . my Dads cousin ( died in 2005) had to go to Roanoke for cancer treatment. That's 2+ hours away. Made do by staying at a Ronald McDonald house though the week and going home on weekends. That was however, mid to late 90s. It could be somewhat better now. Locals often drive an hour to Elkins for major shopping once or twice a month. No cell service. It is an official legally designated blackout area due to the Greenbank Radio Astronomy Observatory.. If you get down near the county seat in Marlinton, there is cell service there. Also a few stores. Marlinton once had some decent shopping. However, floods in 86 that nearly destroyed the town. It has slowly come part way back, but still isnt what it once was. I have a cousin I keep some contact with who lives there. Even see her on Facebook. So definitely some internet and Jan can be reached on her cell when near town. Some around Greenbank do have satellite dishes, but given the blackout laws, it's likely restricted since internet.requires broadcasting an EM signal of some kind. You would need to look into that. Be aware that the National Radio Astronomy Observatory may be decommissioned. If so land prices....high for rural WV because of nearby employment...could drop and it may be possible that radio and microwave blackout could be lifted if that happens. When I used to go a lot was before the internet explosion so I am not entirely up to speed on rules and regulations in the blackout area. I do know that restrictions are somewhat less across the mountain near Cass. For example, I know wifi is available in the buildings at Snowshoe just a few miles west of Cass. I uaed to go there a few years back to try to get a signal to make a call over wifi. At least many local businesses are willing to let you use a phone to call back home....since they understand the situation there and long distance, like most places these days, is bundled in with their telephone plan. Only some people who live there are truly native to the area these days. Many natives left for school or better employment opportunities although some move back when retired. If you think you are interested in that area, also consider closer to Elkins. I had cousins who grew up near Huttonville south of Elkins (on 219??) perhaps 14 or 15 miles away. Elkins has a decent hospital and many major chain stores. The presence of those stores is not only a convenience, but also keeps prices down. Huttonsville is right on the edge of the Monogahela National Forest

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I lived in WV from birth until I was 32...moved to Maryland and have regretted it EVERY day. It gets annoying seeing and hearing people who never lived in WV comment about WV taxes...not much different than anti gunners and the media commenting on firearms. I pay as much or more taxes on my .4 acre piece of communist property and small house than my brother in WV pays for his larger house and more acreage, vehicles, etc. Vehicle license are cheaper in WV, and tags can be transferred from a car to a truck (example: from a mustang to a F150 or Silverado).
    If I could sell my house today, I'd move back to WV TODAY. I wouldn't care if I had to live in a tent. You are definitely thinking correctly going to WV.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    oh yeah....with the amount of Public land available, you really dont need more than a few acres of your own!!! :)

My Dad was born in Arbovale...right next to Greenbank in Pocahontas County. Made many family visits growing up and well into adulthood. I still go back evety few years even though I no longer have close family to visit (all moved away or passed away). You're right....it is beautful. Great hinting (i used to hunt Back Mountain on the road between Cass and Durbin back in the 80s). Good to excellent fishing in the area as well. Trout (stocked year round), small mouth, rock bass bream and some other fish are plentiful. 80% of the county is National Forest. Convenience? Well no nearby hospitals and only a few small stores here and there although somewhat more than 20 or 30 years ago.. There are some scattered medical clinics. . my Dads cousin ( died in 2005) had to go to Roanoke for cancer treatment. That's 2+ hours away. Made do by staying at a Ronald McDonald house though the week and going home on weekends. That was however, mid to late 90s. It could be somewhat better now. Locals often drive an hour to Elkins for major shopping once or twice a month. No cell service. It is an official legally designated blackout area due to the Greenbank Radio Astronomy Observatory.. If you get down near the county seat in Marlinton, there is cell service there. Also a few stores. Marlinton once had some decent shopping. However, floods in 86 that nearly destroyed the town. It has slowly come part way back, but still isnt what it once was. I have a cousin I keep some contact with who lives there. Even see her on Facebook. So definitely some internet and Jan can be reached on her cell when near town. Some around Greenbank do have satellite dishes, but given the blackout laws, it's likely restricted since internet.requires broadcasting an EM signal of some kind. You would need to look into that. Be aware that the National Radio Astronomy Observatory may be decommissioned. If so land prices....high for rural WV because of nearby employment...could drop and it may be possible that radio and microwave blackout could be lifted if that happens. When I used to go a lot was before the internet explosion so I am not entirely up to speed on rules and regulations in the blackout area. I do know that restrictions are somewhat less across the mountain near Cass. For example, I know wifi is available in the buildings at Snowshoe just a few miles west of Cass. I uaed to go there a few years back to try to get a signal to make a call over wifi. At least many local businesses are willing to let you use a phone to call back home....since they understand the situation there and long distance, like most places these days, is bundled in with their telephone plan. Only some people who live there are truly native to the area these days. Many natives left for school or better employment opportunities although some move back when retired. If you think you are interested in that area, also consider closer to Elkins. I had cousins who grew up near Huttonville south of Elkins (on 219??) perhaps 14 or 15 miles away. Elkins has a decent hospital and many major chain stores. The presence of those stores is not only a convenience, but also keeps prices down. Huttonsville is right on the edge of the Monogahela National Forest

This is a great post for Snowshoe/Pocahontas County. Much more detailed than I was going to give.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Re: Manchin. Who knows. It doesn’t look good for him. He should be pretty easy to take down after his Hillary endorsement(& subsequent Trump blowout in WV) and 5 figure per plate Bloomberg fundraisers, and gun control proposals. But he still has a lot of name recognition and political parasites that live off of him who aren’t ready to jump hosts.

The state as a whole is solidly conservative and will be for far longer than VA/PA/TX, etc. There’s some progressive retard stuff on some of the town councils like Charleston, Morgantown, but overall, no current infestation that posses risk in the coming 5-10 years, in my opinion.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    If only there was anything resembling high speed internet access anywhere in WV more than a mile or so on the edges of a few larger towns/developments. Rural, or even semi-rural life is directly at odds with that modern necessity.

It depends on where you are looking. We are five miles west of Charles Town and we have Comcast. But there are many areas where HughesNet is going to be your only solution for mediocre service.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Re: Manchin. Who knows. It doesn’t look good for him. He should be pretty easy to take down after his Hillary endorsement(& subsequent Trump blowout in WV) and 5 figure per plate Bloomberg fundraisers, and gun control proposals. But he still has a lot of name recognition and political parasites that live off of him who aren’t ready to jump hosts.

The state as a whole is solidly conservative and will be for far longer than VA/PA/TX, etc. There’s some progressive retard stuff on some of the town councils like Charleston, Morgantown, but overall, no current infestation that posses risk in the coming 5-10 years, in my opinion.

The West Virginia Citizens Defense League is supporting Patrick Morrisey. He has an excellent record with firearm owners.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    If you are planning to move to WV hold off of purchasing any new vehicles prior to moving. I moved there for a couple of years but never changed my residency to WV because of the cost to register my vehicles. In order to register my vehicles they were going to charge me sales tax at full bluebook value even though I paid Md sales tax on them when I bought them. I knew I would only be there for 2 years so it there would be no offset in the tax savings.
    Just giving you a heads up so you don't get surprised when you move.

You have 30 days from establishing residency to change your title and tags over. They do not charge you sales tax on any out of state vehicles if changed over within that time frame. Just do it at the same time you get your DL and no problem.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    How's Pocohontas County? I spent some time down there a couple summers ago and it was beautiful. Big woods, gentle hills, and friendly people. Wouldn't mine getting some wooded property down there.

SXS gave a good summary.
    Pocahontas, Randolph and Tucker counties are probably the most beautiful and wild of all of WV's beautiful counties. Randolph county is the largest county east of the Mississippi and very sparsely populated.

If you want to live closer to amenities like shopping, restaurants, repair shops, as mentioned, find someplace in the vicinity of Elkins.

If you don't mind the seclusion AND having to drive quite a distance for major shopping, then Pocahontas is great.

All three counties offer great hunting, fantastic fishing, hiking, camping, caving, natural wonders, seclusion, National Forests, kayaking, really everything outdoors!

For those of you looking for dark sky sites for deep space observing, Randolph and Pocahontas counties can't be beat.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    SXS gave a good summary.
    Pocahontas, Randolph and Tucker counties are probably the most beautiful and wild of all of WV's beautiful counties. Randolph county is the largest county east of the Mississippi and very sparsely populated.

If you want to live closer to amenities like shopping, restaurants, repair shops, as mentioned, find someplace in the vicinity of Elkins.

If you don't mind the seclusion AND having to drive quite a distance for major shopping, then Pocahontas is great.

All three counties offer great hunting, fantastic fishing, hiking, camping, caving, natural wonders, seclusion, National Forests, kayaking, really everything outdoors!

For those of you looking for dark sky sites for deep space observing, Randolph and Pocahontas counties can't be beat.

As a kid and young teen, I used to take my telescope with me when we would visit Aunt's and Uncle's. It's not unusual to have a good view of the Milky Way on a clear moonless night....especially in the fall. I used to describe the sky as having a 'blue billion stars' visible. :)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    For those reading this thread who may be either considering a move to Pocahontas or for those who want a great 3, 4 or 5 day weekend in some nice areas of WV:

You can stay in a company home in Cass, WV. These were the old logging company homes now owned by the Cass Scenic Railroad. Prices aren't cheap, but most can sleep several people....not just 1 or 2. We occasionally have a little family reunion staying in 2 or 3 of these. You can also find lodging at Snowshoe year around. Amenities vary from the dated, but serviceable Inn at Snowshoe (at the base of the mountain) or the newer more upscale facilities on the mountain....which are also a bit pricier. There are also several Bed and Breakfasts type lodgings in the area. I have stayed once a the Inn at Elk River in Slatyfork on 219 a few miles from the road to Snowshoe. Highly recommended. The Elk River facility also has less expensive accomodations in their 'Farmhouse' facility. Stayed there once as well (hot tub just outside). That might not work for everyone since you get one of 5 rooms, but there are 3 baths to be shared. Lot'sa fishermen use this facility as it is inexpensive but serviceable. The are also a couple 'rustic cabins' in Greenbank WV. I would have used them before, but after several calls, it took 'em 2 weeks to return my call. To be fair, I was calling around the end of March or beginning of April intending to schedule a stay for mid-May, but they were closed for the season until mid-April. The hosts apologized stating they were out of town. There are also a couple facilities around Marlinton, but I don't know anything about them. It is also possible to stay at the dated Yokum Hotel or Cabins an hour or so away near Seneca Rocks and day trip to Cass or Greenbank. Just don't stay in one of the facilities near the road. Traffic kept me awake the one time I stayed in in that facility. Just a bit further way, at Smoke Hole is the Log Motel and Smoke Hole Cabins for rent. It's been years, but I did stay at the Log Motel once, It's was clean and serviceable. You're probably 1-1/2 hrs from Cass when there. Elkins is another option for lodging....again probably 1-1/2 hr or maybe a bit more from Cass

Ride one or more of the old steam trains. The Cass Scenic Railroad goes up Cheat Mountain to either Whittaker (short trip) or Bald Knob (long trip). While Bald Knob ties up your day longer and is more expensive, the view up there is spectacular. You will stop at Whittaker when taking the Bald Knob trip. There are still tours at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory although in recent years there is a fee. But it's just a few bucks and informative. The Cranberry Glades is interesting to naturalists. It is an Arctic type bog found near Marlinton. There is also a train near Durbin, but I haven't rode that one before although some say it is quite nice. There is a pretty good deal of hunting and fishing on public land around the whole county. Restaurants are pretty sparse around the area, but there are several decent restaurants at Snowshoe. A few Mom and Pop stores around the areas can supply some basic supplies for snacks or other food. I was surprised to encounter a Dollar General on Rt 28 in Greenbank or Arbovale (it is right near the line) a few years back. But don't expect to encounter chain stores around the area. This is a fairly remote area. When I stay in Cass at a company house, we usually bring much of our own food with us and they have a kitchen and utensils to facilitate cooking. When staying elsewhere, I often carry some extra food (like sandwiches), snacks drinks etc, then enjoy a restaurant in Snowshoe. The only real night life in the area, BTW is Snowshoe unless there is something more in Marlinton than there used to be. Then again, maybe they still have square dances in Dunmore. Who knows? It's been MANY years since I did that.

On the way there, cut across the mountains from one of various ways to Petersburg (I usually come across using 55W from I81 near Front Royal then take 28S at Moorefield or get on 28S from 50W after leaving Winchester) and stop by Smoke Hole (good hiking, hunting and fishing near there as well as a gift store, restrooms, snackbar and caverns). You can drive up the road to Spruce Knob (highest point in West Va), or stop at the visitor center at Seneca Rocks. There is excellent hiking around this area as well. Horseback rides used to take place from Yocums up to Seneca Rocks....not sure if they still do that although I know they still did it a few years back. If you don't want, or can't do the rigorous hikes around Seneca Rocks, there is a fairly easy switchback trail from the Visitor center that leads to an observation platform right by the rocks. It's probably an hour or slightly more up and 40 -45 minutes back down. If you are an advanced mountain climber, you can climb or rappell Seneca Rocks (there is even a climbing school associated with the area), If you're staying near Elkins and day tripping to Pocahontas County, consider taking one day and drive 45 min to an hour to Blackwater Falls (opposite direction from Pocahontas). Awesome hiking all over the area especially near the falls. Ask someone there where the train to Lindy Point is. Easy hike, spectacular view.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    To piggy-back on sxs's post. If you're staying up near Seneca Rocks, Harman's Luxury Cabins is far superior to everything else in the area. Snowshoe is an amazing "bang for your buck" summer vacation spot and their sporting clays course (though not fancy) offers some really good challenges. Very tight full-on woods shooting. No automated traps. You have a guide with you at every station who goes and sits in the trap house and waits for your call. They also mix up the clays so that you're shooting everything from pheasant and grouse on down to miniatures as stand-ins for quail. Nothing more fun than watching a full-sized clay and a teeny-tiny middle one go flying and having to figure out which to nail first.

I'll second Cass as a place to stay as well as take the train. It's beautiful up there. I lived on the mountain (Snowshoe) and down in Slaty Fork for a few years when I first get started after college. I'd give my left nut to be able to move back and make any sort of living in that area again.

If you want an amazing experience though, grab 8 or so families and rent out the Cheat Mountain Club for a long weekend or even a week. You don't find honest-to-goodness lodges like that around here anymore.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Alas, that's only downlink speed, and only in small bursts. Upload speeds crawl, and both directions have enormous latency. And, of course, it's all capped each month. In my line of work, I could use the entire month's bandwidth in an afternoon. So, no joy!
    That's true but I seldom upload things which is where you tend to get into trouble on the Internet. I use my phone and its hotspot for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom