• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I testified against the House-passed HB 1302 [it's not HB 1032] at the March 23 Senate hearing. I agree that the "emergency evaluation" process established in Health--General Title 10 works well, where there is clear evidence of a substantial mental disturbance. However, supporters of HB 1302 point out that there are cases in which grave mental disturbance does not exist or is not demonstrable, but in which there is other substantial evidence of grave risk (genuine threats of violence, for example). Moreover, the dynamic is such that I believe it is highly likely that a firearms-specific bill is going to be enacted.

Therefore, I think that there would be much merit to an amendment to give a gun owner who is targeted with an "interim extreme risk prevention order" the optional right to immediately submit himself to the Title 10 "emergency evaluation" confinement, on a "voluntary" basis, until he gets an adversarial (both sides) hearing before a judge, with his guns staying undisturbed at home in the meantime. At the hearing, the judge would be presented not just with a petitioner's claims -- which might be malicious, subjective, deluded, or mistaken -- but with evidence put forward by the gun owner and his counsel. The judge would have the benefit of the emergency evaluation, but would be able to consider all other evidence as well -- including the respondent's history and demeanor, evidence that the petitioner is deluded or malicious, etc.

Yes, even with such an option added, there would remain substantial potential for abuse, and constitutional problems. But giving the targeted gun own such an option would reduce the incentive for abuse, and the amount of abuse, and the damage done to persons targeted by petitioners who are deluded or malicious.

This revision "ought to" be acceptable to supporters of the bill, because the targeted gun owner who chooses to submit to the evaluation-confinement process would be separated from all guns (not just the seized guns) until a judge sorts it out. This revision "ought to" be acceptable to the mental-health groups, because the gun owner would be submitting to evaluation on a "voluntary" basis (no long-term firearms disability would be triggered merely by choosing this option), and gun seizure would remain the outcome if the applicable standard of proof is met at the adversarial hearing, regardless of the respondent's mental-health status. I say "ought to," because logic may not always prevail on these matters.

I proposed such an amendment in my testimony before the Senate committee on March 23 (which is attached), and I have legislative amendment language that I believe would accomplish the purposes which I have described.

"If" it came to that... that's one way; of an interesting way to prove a negative.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Email from Kathy Afzali. She stands by her (yes) vote.

And no, it does not establish due process. :sad20:

As you may know I am an A-ranked NRA legislator.

​​​​​​​
    In the eight years that I have served as your delegate, I have co-sponsored more than 50 pro-gun pieces of legislation and voted against the gun-grabbing left to fight for your rights as a gun owner. I am a lifetime NRA member and believe the Constitution guarantees me the right to protect my family.

Recently one of my opponents in the Frederick County Executive race has used an illegal Facebook Page to distort my record for political gain. I am here to set the record straight.

HB1302

This year in Annapolis most NRA-ranked Republicans voted for a bill that many, including President Trump, V.P. Pence, and Governor Hogan believe is common sense. The bill is called Public Safety - Extreme Risk Prevention Orders or the "Red Flag" bill.

The bill allows firearms to be removed from the possession of a person who has demonstrated extreme risk to themselves or another. The bill establishes due process and will give law enforcement a tool they need to prevent an unthinkably violent act. I stand by my vote.

If we want to protect our Second Amendment rights, we cannot pretend there aren't those among us who should NOT have access to a firearm. The mentally ill cannot be armed!

To the left are some of the pro-gun pieces of legislation that I have co-sponsored over the past eight years. To say that I am pro-Second Amendment is an understatement.

In your service,
    Kathy Afzali
    Delegate &
    Candidate for Frederick County Executive

Parttime

Sep 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I again have emailed my District 36 Senator Steve Hershey to please vote nay on bill HB 1302 when it comes up for consideration.

Will he?.... Who knows.

Enough time has past for the republican caucus to come up with an alibi for what they have done.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Shevis getting hammered on FB and has since doubled down on stupid.

Clearly in the wrong vector on the hot/crazy matrix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

your correct, this bill does not establish due process no matter who wants it.

a few days ago we saw a letter from a rep saying it was because the nra backed it in md, that was a lie too.

these traitors went to the senate and asked the senators to fix it because they new they screwed the pooch.

I expected a better excuse from her and a formal excuse from the republican caucus.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Did I read the Afzali letter correctly? Voting for a bill NRA testified against and she is touting an A+ NRA rating and happy about it. Where are the morals?

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    "If" it came to that... that's one way; of an interesting way to prove a negative.

So having to voluntarily enter yourself into the mental health system would be considered a win? I can only imagine the headaches that would come afterwards. How would doing that effect clearances and future gun purchases. No thanks I'd rather not have my name in the database. Espescially when they decide in 10 years that voluntary evaluations make you ineligible to own guns. What a sad state we're in where adding that amendment is being considered a way to make the bill better.

Here's to hoping our emailing and PP's street presence get this billed shelved. Each and every one of us gun owners will be a target if not.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    Did I read the Afzali letter correctly? Voting for a bill NRA testified against and she is touting an A+ NRA rating and happy about it. Where are the morals?

Yep, and here is a FB post of hers from today that touts her 2A NRA rating. Heck if you click on the link it’ll take you to a page to send her a check if you feel so compelled.

https://m.facebook.com/delegatekathyafzali/

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I just talked to Delegate Kathy Afzali. According to her this bill has been amended to include more personal protection, a due process clause and to appear
    before a judge before any confiscation of firearms. Also a mental health evaluation. I think too the petitioner should be evaluated.
    I'll get the email from her office later...maybe Saturday morning and post it.
    Standby.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

So Kathy Azfali feels, and I quote, "The mentally ill cannot be armed!" Really? She may want to explain that bigoted statement to the MH lobby. First, it demonizes an entire class of people as being dangerous, when in fact statistics show they are less so than the general population. Mental illness, as most even remotely educated people know, encompasses a wide depth and breadth of conditions. Someone with some mild depression or anxiety is not someone who needs to disarmed by the state.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    So Kathy Azfali feels, and I quote, "The mentally ill cannot be armed!" Really? She may want to explain that bigoted statement to the MH lobby. First, it demonizes an entire class of people as being dangerous, when in fact statistics show they are less so than the general population. Mental illness, as most even remotely educated people know, encompasses a wide depth and breadth of conditions. Someone with some mild depression or anxiety is not someone who needs to disarmed by the state.

Yes, I agree.
    She called me by telephone. "Must present a clear and present danger of causing personal injury" is the key--
    By mental health professional. Not sure YET about the due process part. I'll see when I read it then post it zoo.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So having to voluntarily enter yourself into the mental health system would be considered a win? I can only imagine the headaches that would come afterwards. How would doing that effect clearances and future gun purchases. No thanks I'd rather not have my name in the database. Espescially when they decide in 10 years that voluntary evaluations make you ineligible to own guns. What a sad state we're in where adding that amendment is being considered a way to make the bill better.

Here's to hoping our emailing and PP's street presence get this billed shelved. Each and every one of us gun owners will be a target if not.

I'd rather not go that route either. All I was remarking is that it's an interesting way to prove yourself invalid of accustatory charges.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Hmm , curious what she was thinking when she voted yes since these new changes, I don’t think, have been voted on yet??

Demonizing a group of people is her new vote.
    Not my rep so I may be speaking out of line.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I just talked to Delegate Kathy Afzali. According to her this bill has been amended to include more personal protection, a due process clause and to appear
    before a judge before any confiscation of firearms. Also a mental health evaluation. I think too the petitioner should be evaluated.
    I'll get the email from her office later...maybe Saturday morning and post it.
    Standby.

so like I said before, she voted yes to the bill before the senate had a shot, then all the republican delegates asked the senate to fix the bill because they got caught selling our rights for their future political game and now they are hoping the senate can , or may have , added amendments to this bill.

the thing is why did she vote yes every time before it went to the senate?
    apparently shes fine with any other interested person reporting your a danger in their eyes and your firearms being taken away from you

this is just an excuse and trying to save face and hoping someone else fixes this bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom