• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Do they have to vote on this? Or is there a chance it may go away? We will have to hit Hogan hard to veto this if it passes.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee has it and no vote has been taken because this Red Flag bill is rife with so many violations of due process.

I can tell you that our protests, both inside and outside the building, have traction:

Attachments

• 2B3FEF9C-251A-4F12-9D19-C65B36F7A455.jpg
      2B3FEF9C-251A-4F12-9D19-C65B36F7A455.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 284
    • F3F13D2D-F8E6-4FEC-A54C-FE0D897FCAAA.jpg
      F3F13D2D-F8E6-4FEC-A54C-FE0D897FCAAA.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 259
    • BCB1357B-E385-4EDA-8C5C-4E897A31ECE1.jpg
      BCB1357B-E385-4EDA-8C5C-4E897A31ECE1.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 276
    • 2A5E5FFB-9093-4811-9718-A5D346578E85.jpg
      2A5E5FFB-9093-4811-9718-A5D346578E85.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 264
    • 68894C85-E45C-47A0-896C-95E308357B5B.jpg
      68894C85-E45C-47A0-896C-95E308357B5B.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 266

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's kind of remarkable how suspicion of a threat to "public safety" which has been used (repeatedly) to weaken the 2nd Amendment is now being employed to potentially work around both 5th and 14th Amendments.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I wanna know why Maryland never gets any of the love these other states get in helping with anti 2a Bills?

We are the Red headed step child of all the states. Can't we get just a little help every once in awhile?

Because our grifters politicians are complete pushovers for any scheme the Commies come up with.

"Hey GI! Me love you long time..."

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee has it and no vote has been taken because this Red Flag bill is rife with so many violations of due process.

I can tell you that our protests, both inside and outside the building, have traction:

GREAT NEWS! They tried the same lack of due process last year with the #MeToo No Fly List prohibition from CA and NY. Still too dumb/lazy to come up with their own infringements.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I would take this to also mean that there are some key Democrats that care about civil liberties (not necessarily including the 2A) that aren't subject to the whims of the mob. At least I hope there are pending final outcome of this legislation.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I would take this to also mean that there are some key Democrats that care about civil liberties (not necessarily including the 2A) that aren't subject to the whims of the mob. At least I hope there are pending final outcome of this legislation.

Apparently zirkin didn’t like it from the getgo.

Hopefully this disappears forever

And good riddance if it does.

If this does because it’s bad, which it is, and the dems kill it, what does that say about the republicans who voted for it?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Apparently zirkin didn’t like it from the getgo.

Hopefully this disappears forever

And good riddance if it does.

If this does because it’s bad, which it is, and the dems kill it, what does that say about the republicans who voted for it?
    (R)'s get shafted either way - vote for it means lost 2A supporters, vote against it means fear, uncertainty, doubt about campaign funding and votes.

I've been completely cynical about this whole thing, but I do wish to thank the PP and others who testified against this abomination.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    (R)'s get shafted either way - vote for it means lost 2A supporters, vote against it means fear, uncertainty, doubt about campaign funding and votes.

I've been completely cynical about this whole thing, but I do wish to thank the PP and others who testified against this abomination.

Indeed

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

Thank you, but as you can see above, our testimony does NOT end when the gavel comes down in the hearing room.

As you can see, we had 2 DOZEN PATRIOTS testifying On The Bricks against HB1302 this past Monday night as the legislators crossed from their offices to the Statehouse.

We have two more "Man Up Mondays" left in MGA 2018. Join us for this effort!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Here is where we are: The Democrats have pushed an "Everytown For Gun Safety" lobbyist into the driver's seat to shape this gun-hating, man-hating, Constitution-hating Red Flag Bill, HB1302, as the legislature deadlines loom.

I have met and interacted with this lobbyist.

Our side is trying like hell to invalidate this abomination of a bill by reminding the Progressive extremists in the MGA that a little "smidge" of Due Process violation here, and a little dollop of Constitutional side-step there does not an American law make!

Yes, there are some Democrats that remember the history of Democrat party going to the mat for Civil Rights, but we are not hearing the bold and loud pronouncements this week that "safety" issues demand STRICT adherence to Due Process. What happened to the wing of the Democrat Party that ALWAYS had a torch lit.... to watch for Governmental over-reach and State power crushing the lives of individual Americans?

Well, it seems the Democrat Torch is there as long as those Americans aren't Marylanders.

Like a hot fashion trend racing cross-country, 2018 is the year of the Red Flag Bill in Democrat-led legislatures nationwide and MD Dems don't want to be left behind, even if what they pass infringes on citizen rights just an IDDITY BIDDY WIDDLE BIT. That's right, in their fervor to ring the Red Flag bell, Democrats here think the old notions of Due Process are quaint and OPTIONAL when there are men with firearms living among us.

Let's call this effort for what it is: the Red Flag Bills are Gun Control bills dressed-up by hysterical Democrat House delegates as Domestic Violence mitigation programs. Except that the only "Respondents" the Democrats are interested in targeting are....wait for it....firearm owners. That's right, the pushers of HB1302 can't stop talking about firearms. This, despite the fact that Maryland households are filled with kitchen knives, hammers, baseball bats, tire irons, scissors, heavy iron fire pokers, machetes, screwdrivers, torque wrenches, breaker bars, and on and on and on, except this bill says "GET THE GUNS", because "we are agitated and to Hell with your Civil Rights"!

You should see the lobby when this bill is being discussed or in a mark-up--nothing but "Moms Demand Action" regulars and "Everytown For Gun Safety" reps in fevered discussion groups with every participant being a female. At the head of this parade, two more women with a history of animus toward Maryland traditions and our 400 years of of firearm ownership: MoCo (need we say more) House Delegate Kathleen Dumais and Prince-George's-by-way-of Brooklyn-NY House Delegate Geraldine Valentino-Smith. In hearings, the seats next to them are filled with females wanting police raids on men who own firearms when there's the least little whiff that they are agitated.

This is the New Reality in the Culture Wars: women chief sponsors (and only women) pushing legislation targeting ONLY MEN, and only targeting male firearm owners--but not those firearm-fearful (but agitated) men in homes with kitchen knives, hammers, baseball bats, tire irons, scissors, heavy iron fire pokers, machetes, screwdrivers, torque wrenches, breaker bars, and on and on and on.

This whole process smells of a war on half the population using the power of the State as a bully. It is disgraceful.

For years, though, Maryland has had a template to deal with people who threaten harm or mayhem. It's what's called the "Health General" regulations.

Communicate to legislators any way you can that Maryland's time-tested "Health General" regs are a firm foundation that can be amended to provide a 24/7 pathway for those truly threatened, while preserving each man's Due Process rights when the great weight of the State comes swooping down because gun-hating women feel endangered by this legal, constitutionally-protected property .

As for timing: more "mark-up" discussion takes place tomorrow and/or Monday at the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, which is feeling the pressure from the Hysterical Wing of the Maryland Democrat Party to "produce a Red Flag Bill!, ANY Red Flag Bill!" before Tuesday.

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Here is where we are: The Democrats have pushed an "Everytown For Gun Safety" lobbyist into the driver's seat to shape this gun-hating, man-hating, Constitution-hating Red Flag Bill, HB1032, as the legislature deadlines loom.

I have met and interacted with this lobbyist.

Our side is trying like hell to invalidate this abomination of a bill by reminding the Progressive extremists in the MGA that a little "smidge" of Due Process violation here, and a little dollop of Constitutional side-step there does not an American law make!

Yes, there are some Democrats that remember the history of Democrat party going to the mat for Civil Rights, but we are not hearing the bold and loud pronouncements this week that "safety" issues demand STRICT adherence to Due Process. What happened to the wing of the Democrat Party that ALWAYS had a torch lit.... to watch for Governmental over-reach and State power crushing the lives of individual Americans?

Well, it seems the Democrat Torch is there as long as those Americans aren't Marylanders.

Like a hot fashion trend racing cross-country, 2018 is the year of the Red Flag Bill in Democrat-led legislatures nationwide and MD Dems don't want to be left behind, even if what they pass infringes on citizen rights just an IDDITY BIDDY WIDDLE BIT. That's right, in their fervor to ring the Red Flag bell, Democrats here think the old notions of Due Process are quaint and OPTIONAL when there are men with firearms living among us.

Let's call this effort for what it is: the Red Flag Bills are Gun Control bills dressed-up by hysterical Democrat House delegates as Domestic Violence mitigation programs. Except that the only "Respondents" the Democrats are interested in targeting are....wait for it....firearm owners. That's right, the pushers of HB1032 can't stop talking about firearms. This, despite the fact that Maryland households are filled with kitchen knives, hammers, baseball bats, tire irons, scissors, heavy iron fire pokers, machetes, screwdrivers, torque wrenches, breaker bars, and on and on and on, except this bill says "GET THE GUNS", because "we are agitated and to Hell with your Civil Rights"!

You should see the lobby when this bill is being discussed or in a mark-up--nothing but "Moms Demand Action" regulars and "Everytown For Gun Safety" reps in fevered discussion groups with every participant being a female. At the head of this parade, two more women with a history of animus toward Maryland traditions and our 400 years of of firearm ownership: MoCo (need we say more) House Delegate Kathleen Dumais and Prince-George's-by-way-of Brooklyn-NY House Delegate Geraldine Valentino-Smith. In hearings, the seats next to them are filled with females wanting police raids on men who own firearms when there's the least little whiff that they are agitated.

This is the New Reality in the Culture Wars: women chief sponsors (and only women) pushing legislation targeting ONLY MEN, and only targeting male firearm owners--but not those firearm-fearful (but agitated) men in homes with kitchen knives, hammers, baseball bats, tire irons, scissors, heavy iron fire pokers, machetes, screwdrivers, torque wrenches, breaker bars, and on and on and on.

This whole process smells of a war on half the population using the power of the State as a bully. It is disgraceful.

For years, though, Maryland has had a template to deal with people who threaten harm or mayhem. It's what's called the "Health General" regulations.

Communicate to legislators any way you can that Maryland's time-tested "Health General" regs are a firm foundation that can be amended to provide a 24/7 pathway for those truly threatened, while preserving each man's Due Process rights when the great weight of the State comes swooping down because gun-hating women feel endangered by this legal, constitutionally-protected property .

As for timing: more "mark-up" discussion takes place tomorrow and/or Monday at the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, which is feeling the pressure from the Hysterical Wing of the Maryland Democrat Party to "produce a Red Flag Bill!, ANY Red Flag Bill!" before Tuesday.

Is there anyone who we should key in on? Who would give us the best bang for the buck? I will make calls tomorrow.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Our people are in contact with the Democrat and Republican members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee.

Please target Democrat and Republican Senators OUTSIDE this committee, please, and tell them that supporting a Red Flag Law that violates Due Process and trespasses on every Marylander's Civil Rights is a STAIN on the "Free State".

Urge them to seek enhanced and timely protections within the proven "Health General" regulations that won't criminalize firearm ownership.

Here are the Senators on the JPR Committee that DO NOT need our input because they are hearing from our inside people, so focus on ANY Senators other than these below, please:

Sen. Will Smith
    Sen. Justin Ready
    Sen. Anthony Muse
    Sen. Michael Hough
    Sen. Robert Zirkin
    Sen. Dolores Kelly
    Sen. James Brochin
    Sen. Linda Norman
    Sen. Robert Cassily

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    a modest suggestion

For years, though, Maryland has had a template to deal with people who threaten harm or mayhem. It's what's called the "Health General" regulations. Communicate to legislators any way you can that Maryland's time-tested "Health General" regs are a firm foundation that can be amended to provide a 24/7 pathway for those truly threatened, while preserving each man's Due Process rights when the great weight of the State comes swooping down . . .

I testified against the House-passed HB 1302 [it's not HB 1032] at the March 23 Senate hearing. I agree that the "emergency evaluation" process established in Health--General Title 10 works well, where there is clear evidence of a substantial mental disturbance. However, supporters of HB 1302 point out that there are cases in which grave mental disturbance does not exist or is not demonstrable, but in which there is other substantial evidence of grave risk (genuine threats of violence, for example). Moreover, the dynamic is such that I believe it is highly likely that a firearms-specific bill is going to be enacted.

Therefore, I think that there would be much merit to an amendment to give a gun owner who is targeted with an "interim extreme risk prevention order" the optional right to immediately submit himself to the Title 10 "emergency evaluation" confinement, on a "voluntary" basis, until he gets an adversarial (both sides) hearing before a judge, with his guns staying undisturbed at home in the meantime. At the hearing, the judge would be presented not just with a petitioner's claims -- which might be malicious, subjective, deluded, or mistaken -- but with evidence put forward by the gun owner and his counsel. The judge would have the benefit of the emergency evaluation, but would be able to consider all other evidence as well -- including the respondent's history and demeanor, evidence that the petitioner is deluded or malicious, etc.

Yes, even with such an option added, there would remain substantial potential for abuse, and constitutional problems. But giving the targeted gun own such an option would reduce the incentive for abuse, and the amount of abuse, and the damage done to persons targeted by petitioners who are deluded or malicious.

This revision "ought to" be acceptable to supporters of the bill, because the targeted gun owner who chooses to submit to the evaluation-confinement process would be separated from all guns (not just the seized guns) until a judge sorts it out. This revision "ought to" be acceptable to the mental-health groups, because the gun owner would be submitting to evaluation on a "voluntary" basis (no long-term firearms disability would be triggered merely by choosing this option), and gun seizure would remain the outcome if the applicable standard of proof is met at the adversarial hearing, regardless of the respondent's mental-health status. I say "ought to," because logic may not always prevail on these matters.

I proposed such an amendment in my testimony before the Senate committee on March 23 (which is attached), and I have legislative amendment language that I believe would accomplish the purposes which I have described.

Attachments

• Testimony of Douglas Johnson on HB 1302.pdf
      72.8 KB · Views: 184
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads