• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Who's going to comply with such unenforceable infringements? When will they send out teams of Jack Boot Thugs to inspect serial numbers?
    I've owned guns for over 20 years and have never needed to show anyone any serial numbers. "Molon Labe".

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Who's going to comply with such unenforceable infringements? When will they send out teams of Jack Boot Thugs to inspect serial numbers?
    I've owned guns for over 20 years and have never needed to show anyone any serial numbers. "Molon Labe".

Serial numbers are easily put on 80 percenters.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Serial numbers are easily put on 80 percenters.
    But the bill requires a licensed manufacturer or dealer to issue the serial #. And I've neen unable to find any of either of those willing to provide a serial # for a home-built lower, after asking around when a similar bill was introduced last year.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    But the bill requires a licensed manufacturer or dealer to issue the serial #. And I've neen unable to find any of either of those willing to seralize a home-built lower, after asking around when a similar bill was introduced last year.

I don’t recall which manufacturer put the serial # on there.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    And here you have it:

A PERSON MAY NOT:
    (1) MANUFACTURE, CAUSE TO BE MANUFACTURED, ASSEMBLE, OR CONSTRUCT A FIREARM THAT IS NOT IMPRINTED WITH A SERIAL NUMBER ISSUED BY A FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS MANUFACTURER OR FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTER IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS REGULATING THE MANUFACTURE AND IMPORT OF FIREARMS; OR

(2) POSSESS, SELL, OFFER TO SELL,TRANSFER,PURCHASE, OR RECEIVE:
    (I) A FIREARM THAT IS NOT IMPRINTED WITH A SERIAL NUMBER ISSUED BY A FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS MANUFACTURER OR FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTER IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS REGULATING THE MANUFACTURE AND IMPORT OF FIREARMS; OR
    (II) AN OBJECT MARKETED OR ADVERTISED TO BE,OR THAT A REASONABLE PERSON WOULD UNDERSTAND TO BE,DESIGNED FOR THE PURPOSE OF BEING MANUFACTURED, ASSEMBLED, OR CONSTRUCTED INTO THE FRAME OR RECEIVER OF A FIREARM THAT IS NOT IMPRINTED WITH A SERIAL NUMBER ISSUED BY A FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS MANUFACTURER OR FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTER IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS REGULATING THE MANUFACTURE AND IMPORT OF FIREARMS.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I don’t recall which manufacturer put the serial # on there.

It would be the FFL who engraved his name and location, along with the model # IAW ATF regs. The required markings for commercial guns are more than just a serial.

Obviously in order to check if the markings were legit, LE would need to contact the manufacturer whose name is on the gun, to verify the info. And that's only likely to happen if the gun has been taken into evidence, or otherwise confiscated. By which time you're likely already scr@wed for other reasons, so this becomes an add-on charge for plea bargaining.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It would be the FFL who engraved his name and location, along with the model # IAW ATF regs. The required markings for commercial guns are more than just a serial.

Obviously in order to check if the markings were legit, LE would need to contact the manufacturer whose name is on the gun, to verify the info.

I’m not planning on complying so much.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No body is going to want to put serial numbers on home built guns and the whole reason people build them in the first place is to avoid such unnecessary infringements.

I put serial numbers on, in case they are stolen. A serial number the government doesn’t have is hardly an infringement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom