Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:21 AM #11
Bikebreath's Avatar
Bikebreath Bikebreath is offline
21st Century Hoplite
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the bowels of Baltimore
Posts: 11,040
Images: 3
Bikebreath Bikebreath is offline
21st Century Hoplite
Bikebreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the bowels of Baltimore
Posts: 11,040
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambling_one View Post
I saw first hand a guy from the country of Columbia walk after being charged with two loaded handguns and drugs in his car. As he and his attorney were leaving the court room they were fist bumping each other and laughing. The system is broke!
Reminds me of a kid that made the news in the city. A 14 year old was arrested for a handgun charge, but the kicker was that it was the 2nd time in 2 weeks he was found with a gun. How is that even possible?
Bikebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:28 AM #12
Bikebreath's Avatar
Bikebreath Bikebreath is offline
21st Century Hoplite
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the bowels of Baltimore
Posts: 11,040
Images: 3
Bikebreath Bikebreath is offline
21st Century Hoplite
Bikebreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the bowels of Baltimore
Posts: 11,040
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMike View Post
Defense attorney here who practices in MD. These arguments about decisions to not prosecute gun crimes or violent crimes come from ignorance and people who have little to no understanding of what the criminal justice system looks like after an arrest.

1) Constructive possession cases are extremely difficult to prove and from a defense perspective are a great candidate to take to trial.
2) Cops also screw up a lot with illegal searches, and guess what? Baltimore cops are some of the worst when it comes to 4th amendment violations. What does this mean? A lot of searches that uncovered illegal firearms will get thrown out, leading to dismissal of those charges.
3) The criminal justice system is extremely crowded and there are a serious lack of resources (judicial, prosecutorial and public defender). This means that it simply is not feasible to take all cases to trial, and neither side wants to do that due to risk and lack of resources. Iíll ballpark the number but somewhere around 95% of criminal cases end in a guilty plea.

So no, itís not due to some conspiracy or corrupt government trying to protect racial minorities or immigrants who donít have legal status. Itís unfortunately due to a much more complicated problem that canít be solved with empty rhetoric that suggests harsher mandatory minimums and removing prosecutorial discretion.

And no, you should not carry a gun without the proper license to do so. Is MDís policy regarding concealed carry ridiculous, overly burdensome on legal gun owners and unconstitutional? Yes. Is it crazy that criminals run around with guns but law abiding citizens donít because they generally arenít special enough in the legislatureís eyes? Yep. Does it seem to be an ďelitistĒ system? Yeh, kind of does but in my opinion itís not the best way to frame it.
Do you agree with the following statement: A white senior citizen in Baltimore City gets arrested for illegally carrying for self defense will go to trail and get max or close to max sentence.
Bikebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:31 AM #13
JerseyMike JerseyMike is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Germantown
Posts: 84
JerseyMike JerseyMike is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Germantown
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebreath View Post
Do you agree with the following statement: A white senior citizen in Baltimore City gets arrested for illegally carrying for self defense will go to trail and get max or close to max sentence.
Insufficient facts to form an opinion on the case since I have no relevant details other than an individual was arrested for illegally carrying a firearm.
JerseyMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:34 AM #14
fred55's Avatar
fred55 fred55 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Spotsylvania Co. VA
Posts: 795
fred55 fred55 is online now
Member
fred55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Spotsylvania Co. VA
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebreath View Post
Reminds me of a kid that made the news in the city. A 14 year old was arrested for a handgun charge, but the kicker was that it was the 2nd time in 2 weeks he was found with a gun. How is that even possible?
The one gun a month law does not apply to 14 year olds, or he has a collectors letter. fred55
__________________
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan
fred55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:36 AM #15
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 20,963
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 20,963
Someone who claims to be from Florida with a low post count (8) says we should carry based on the internet rumor people are not prosecuted. All during the height of the legislative session.

Why feed the troll?
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:36 AM #16
Melnic's Avatar
Melnic Melnic is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: HoCo
Posts: 8,191
Melnic Melnic is online now
Senior Member
Melnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: HoCo
Posts: 8,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMike View Post
Defense attorney here who practices in MD. These arguments about decisions to not prosecute gun crimes or violent crimes come from ignorance and people who have little to no understanding of what the criminal justice system looks like after an arrest.

1) Constructive possession cases are extremely difficult to prove and from a defense perspective are a great candidate to take to trial.
2) Cops also screw up a lot with illegal searches, and guess what? Baltimore cops are some of the worst when it comes to 4th amendment violations. What does this mean? A lot of searches that uncovered illegal firearms will get thrown out, leading to dismissal of those charges.
3) The criminal justice system is extremely crowded and there are a serious lack of resources (judicial, prosecutorial and public defender). This means that it simply is not feasible to take all cases to trial, and neither side wants to do that due to risk and lack of resources. Iíll ballpark the number but somewhere around 95% of criminal cases end in a guilty plea.

So no, itís not due to some conspiracy or corrupt government trying to protect racial minorities or immigrants who donít have legal status. Itís unfortunately due to a much more complicated problem that canít be solved with empty rhetoric that suggests harsher mandatory minimums and removing prosecutorial discretion.

And no, you should not carry a gun without the proper license to do so. Is MDís policy regarding concealed carry ridiculous, overly burdensome on legal gun owners and unconstitutional? Yes. Is it crazy that criminals run around with guns but law abiding citizens donít because they generally arenít special enough in the legislatureís eyes? Yep. Does it seem to be an ďelitistĒ system? Yeh, kind of does but in my opinion itís not the best way to frame it.
do the people who get arrested for illegally carrying a firearm end up getting a guilty plea on a lesser charge? Is it often or less often a charge that turns them into a prohibited person if they were not already?
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:38 AM #17
DivingDriver's Avatar
DivingDriver DivingDriver is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nanjemoy MD
Posts: 1,324
DivingDriver DivingDriver is offline
Senior Member
DivingDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nanjemoy MD
Posts: 1,324
One of my neighbors dad who lives in the LaPlata area was arrested for having a handgun in his truck loaded with a mag in it. He's in his late seventies and has stated to me on occasions that he keeps it there for self protection. He is a former Marine and knows how to handle weapons so it's not like there is a threat to the public. The story leading up to him being charged was some youts approached him while he was in his truck in a threatening way and he put the gun on the dash, they left and he went home. Unbeknownst to him they followed him to his house and called the police on him. After the cops heard his side of the story they put the cuffs on him and off to the pokey he went. Now mind you no weapon was discharged and he feared for his personal safety in his statement to the officer. Well he's had three court appearances so far and another one scheduled. Don't know how much he's spent on lawyers but I'm sure it's a pretty penny. He lives not too far from where this happened and this is an area that is known for drug dealing and to get to his house he had to drive thru the area. So the druggies walk free, he's fighting in court to stay out of jail and I'm pretty sure he just screwed up his ability to ever own a gun. Oh I forgot, when I asked him why didn't he just lie to the police about having the gun he said he wasn't going to lie to the police because a man is only good as his word. In retrospect he should have bought a half oz of pot and the cops would have arrested him, dropped the gun charge charged him with a misdemeanor and suspended the six month incarceration. And he would be over and done with this foolishness.
DivingDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:39 AM #18
Tungsten Tungsten is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elkridge, Gerrymanderland
Posts: 3,093
Tungsten Tungsten is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elkridge, Gerrymanderland
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebreath View Post
Reminds me of a kid that made the news in the city. A 14 year old was arrested for a handgun charge, but the kicker was that it was the 2nd time in 2 weeks he was found with a gun. How is that even possible?
He probably had a designated collectors license.
__________________
18 USC 242
Tungsten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:51 AM #19
ras_oscar ras_oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,162
ras_oscar ras_oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMike View Post
Defense attorney here who practices in MD. These arguments about decisions to not prosecute gun crimes or violent crimes come from ignorance and people who have little to no understanding of what the criminal justice system looks like after an arrest.

1) Constructive possession cases are extremely difficult to prove and from a defense perspective are a great candidate to take to trial.
2) Cops also screw up a lot with illegal searches, and guess what? Baltimore cops are some of the worst when it comes to 4th amendment violations. What does this mean? A lot of searches that uncovered illegal firearms will get thrown out, leading to dismissal of those charges.
3) The criminal justice system is extremely crowded and there are a serious lack of resources (judicial, prosecutorial and public defender). This means that it simply is not feasible to take all cases to trial, and neither side wants to do that due to risk and lack of resources. Iíll ballpark the number but somewhere around 95% of criminal cases end in a guilty plea.

So no, itís not due to some conspiracy or corrupt government trying to protect racial minorities or immigrants who donít have legal status. Itís unfortunately due to a much more complicated problem that canít be solved with empty rhetoric that suggests harsher mandatory minimums and removing prosecutorial discretion.

And no, you should not carry a gun without the proper license to do so. Is MDís policy regarding concealed carry ridiculous, overly burdensome on legal gun owners and unconstitutional? Yes. Is it crazy that criminals run around with guns but law abiding citizens donít because they generally arenít special enough in the legislatureís eyes? Yep. Does it seem to be an ďelitistĒ system? Yeh, kind of does but in my opinion itís not the best way to frame it.
I'm going to accept your statement at face value because I have no facts available to support or refudiate them.

Legislature repeatedly proposes new laws which restrict 2A rights of all Maryland residents. The stated reason is to reduce the volume of violence committed with firearms. Given a portion of the violence occurs within urban areas of Maryland, and given your statement above regarding ther state of the judiciary in those areas, how can additional laws be expected to reduce the violence from occurring? Perhaps the correct response is to expand the capacity of the judiciary in overburdened areas.
__________________
I'm a democrat and I support the second amendment . Deal with it.
ras_oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2020, 09:52 AM #20
Huckleberry's Avatar
Huckleberry Huckleberry is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Severn
Posts: 15,764
Huckleberry Huckleberry is online now
Senior Member
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Severn
Posts: 15,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
break the law because of an internet rumor. good plan.
He's a Florida Man. I'm sure if he preferences with "Here, hold my Beer" then it would make perfect sense to you
__________________
ďNo friend ever served me and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in fullĒ. Lucius Cornelius Sulla

We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! We're finished! All of us! Pike Bishop

NRA Life Member and Instructor
Huckleberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service