• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I understand where Machodoc is coming from but I disagree. jpk1md and Silverlode are (IMO) correct. You don't negotiate away inalienable rights.

I'm of the opinion that Liberals don't understand the meaning of the word negotiate. They seem to think it means they give nothing and wait for the other side to see things their way...or just give in and give them what they want.

I can't (truthfully nobody can) negotiate my inalienable rights.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I understand where Machodoc is coming from but I disagree. jpk1md and Silverlode are (IMO) correct. You don't negotiate away inalienable rights.

I'm of the opinion that Liberals don't understand the meaning of the word negotiate. They seem to think it means they give nothing and wait for the other side to see things their way...or just give in and give them what they want.

Absolutely right. Compromise to a Liberal means "you're wrong and I'm right."

If there is a high number of people asking "Why do you need an assault weapon/high cap mag?" then the discussion that needs to happen is not immediately letting them have our high (standard) capacity mags, which says nothing to a liberal but "see, I was right and you were wrong." The discussion needs to be about educating these people about these things and showing them they aren't the evil boogymen they all think they are.

Machodoc's formula is a losing one, plain and simple. He keeps saying we're ignoring him when in reality he's the one ignoring us (he didn't even address me. :( lol)

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    What we ALL need to do is to better understand the liberal bastardization and coopting of language

"Compromise" to a Demwit Liberal means "Capitulate to me"

"Common Sense" = "The facts don't support my position but I want it anyway"

MS2k

Nov 5, 2012
    Silver Spring
    What we ALL need to do is to better understand the liberal bastardization and coopting of language

"Compromise" to a Demwit Liberal means "Capitulate to me"

"Common Sense" = "The facts don't support my position but I want it anyway"

I don't like the name calling here. Liberal/conservative labels don't need to come into play. Democrats tend to be more anti-2A than Republicans, but there are those on both sides of the aisle who will break from party lines. And like the discussion here, there are those on both sides who are "all or nothing" types and those who are willing to concede certain points and/or compromise (not that that's a good or bad thing).

Like it or not, the National Discussion now is about gun control. Public perception, thanks to political rhetoric and mass media, is that something must be done. And with emotions running as high as they are, it's hard to convince anyone otherwise. The anti-2A crowd wants tighter gun control and the AWB; that's something. We can use facts and reason to argue that they're the wrong thing, but until emotion subsides or we have something substantive to offer we're crying on deaf ears.

Back on topic, I like that Wayne proposed something specific. Put "qualified, armed security" in every school, and let the NRA fund their training. I think this will have a strong deterrent effect on reducing violence in schools, but no effect on violence on the street or in other gun-free zones. It's a small step though on the way to universal concealed carry and protecting our gun rights. It'll be a tough fight for a while yet, and we may have to make a few small concessions in the short-term to win the battle in the end.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Well if this is about making compromise, I say we introduce a counter bill removing NFA making full-auto's cash & carry, and national constitutional carry anywhere and everywhere, and start compromising from there.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Democrats tend to be more anti-2A than Republicans, but there are those on both sides of the aisle who will break from party lines.

Individuals may break with party line but the simple fact remains

Democrats are overwhelmingly ANTI 2a...AND they elect Reps/Sens that are overwhelmingly Anti 2A

Democrat politicians that buck party line are generally speaking rare as hens teeth,

Take Reid and Manchin's recent ANTI comments as examples of this and look at Republicans that have a long history of supporting 2A and what THEIR response has been.....they've largely remained silent waiting for the emotional over-reaction of Demwits to subside.

Dems that call for knee jerk reactions/legislation based upon an purely emotional reaction deserve the moniker of "Demwit"

And like the discussion here, there are those on both sides who are "all or nothing" types and those who are willing to concede certain points and/or compromise (not that that's a good or bad thing).

Again....since when are natural/god given rights up for discussion let alone "Compromise" which is "Dem Speak" for "Capitulation"

Like it or not, the National Discussion now is about gun control. Public perception, thanks to political rhetoric and mass media, is that something must be done. And with emotions running as high as they are, it's hard to convince anyone otherwise. The anti-2A crowd wants tighter gun control and the AWB; that's something. We can use facts and reason to argue that they're the wrong thing, but until emotion subsides or we have something substantive to offer we're crying on deaf ears.

Actually you're wrong again and making statements based purely upon emotional REACTION instead of rational fact based evidence.

Back on topic, I like that Wayne proposed something specific. Put "qualified, armed security" in every school, and let the NRA fund their training. I think this will have a strong deterrent effect on reducing violence in schools, but no effect on violence on the street or in other gun-free zones. It's a small step though on the way to universal concealed carry and protecting our gun rights. It'll be a tough fight for a while yet, and we may have to make a few small concessions in the short-term to win the battle in the end.

Depends.....how many armed guards do you have to put into a school in order to be able to respond to a threat.

But again you missed the point right?

Who's going to pay for millions of armed guards at a starting salary of ~50k plus benefits?

We're already borrowing almost HALF of every dollar that the fed gov spends....where's the money going to come from?

Hate to break it to you but the BIG discussion is the fiscal cliff......gun control is on the back burner of a stove that has the pilot light off......polls taken 5 days after the Ct shooting bear this fact out and in a couple weeks new polls will almost certainly demonstrate this to be correct as the emotional response subsides and rational/upper brain function resumes control.

A look around the world will demonstrate that putting guards in schools is neither effective nor is it cost effective. Allowing law abiding citizens to CCW in schools same as they do everywhere else IS.....and it doesn't cost a penny.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    When it comes to 2A

Attachments

• thumb_300x300_HK416Decal_1_2_3_4_5.jpg
      thumb_300x300_HK416Decal_1_2_3_4_5.jpg
      16.6 KB · Views: 159

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    The answer IMO is access control. Come on, you mean to tell me access to schools cannot be controlled? And, by the way, that is a key aspect of the NRA's suggestion. Armed guards are only a minor aspect, and not required. And I just contributed more to the NRA because of their constructive suggestions.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The answer IMO is access control. Come on, you mean to tell me access to schools cannot be controlled? And, by the way, that is a key aspect of the NRA's suggestion. Armed guards are only a minor aspect, and not required. And I just contributed more to the NRA because of their constructive suggestions.

The NRA proposed a huge package of security updates, not just armed guards.

The media ignores what it wants to ignore.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    The school will no longer be a guaranteed "Free Fire Zone " for the shooter! :thumbsup:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It'll be a tough fight for a while yet, and we may have to make a few small concessions in the short-term to win the battle in the end.

NO WE DON'T. Left wing politicians always work this way. They take away your rights and freedoms one small step at a time and then you wake up one day and wonder what happened.
    There are people saying they would agree to a magazine limit (10 ends). What then? Liberals will just move on to the next concession and won't stop.
    NO CONCESSIONS.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    NO WE DON'T. Left wing politicians always work this way. They take away your rights and freedoms one small step at a time and then you wake up one day and wonder what happened.
    There are people saying they would agree to a magazine limit (10 ends). What then? Liberals will just move on to the next concession and won't stop.
    NO CONCESSIONS.

A lot of people just can't seem to fathom this. I'm glad to see a number of new folks on these boards recently that do.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I don't understand how giving concessions to liberals on an emotional rampage will help anything at all. So we give up all but our 10rd mags to make ourselves "look" good and "look" like we're trying to help. So what? Do you think it will really end there? No, because something as stupid as that won't do a thing to solve the real problem. Then a few months later when the next mass shooting happens, the rabid gun banners will be on their emotional rampage yet again, and the cycle continues, over and over until all of our rights are gone.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    You don't negotiate away inalienable rights...

I don't understand how giving concessions to liberals on an emotional rampage will help anything at all. So we give up all but our 10rd mags to make ourselves "look" good and "look" like we're trying to help. So what? Do you think it will really end there? No, because something as stupid as that won't do a thing to solve the real problem. Then a few months later when the next mass shooting happens, the rabid gun banners will be on their emotional rampage yet again, and the cycle continues, over and over until all of our rights are gone.

It really is just this simple.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton

Yep.

They always talk compromise, but we're the ones that do all of the compromising. If they say that magazines holding more than 10 rounds is the problem, than it must not have been the full auto that they effectively made illegal in 1985. If they want a compromise they should be saying we'll open up the NFA, but we'll also go after the magazines. That's a compromise!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom