• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since I had some free time before I had to get home, I hit some local shops. FYI Quantico Tactical has plenty of AR and AK mags, and Glock mags. Anyway, said local shop had two Ruger Precision rifles in stock, one in .243 and the other in 6.5. After taking a look see, the guy behind the counter showed me something concerning about the rifle. The handguard isn't on very solid, you can move it with hand pressure. I don't have $1199, so it did not come home with me. Anyone else see this?

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    was it the original RP with the full length top rail or the upgraded one with the muzzle brake? I have an original RP in 6.5 and the rail is on pretty tight.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's the original RP with the full length top rail. No muzzle device. According to the guy behind the counter, the nut holding the handguard isn't really sturdy enough to hold that big of a handguard. It is a keymod rail. If I were to get this rifle, I'd swap the Troy Battle Rail handguard I have on my 3-gun rifle with the one on the Ruger. IIRC the Troy nut is significantly longer than the one on the Ruger.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have an orig 6.5 RPR. Orig sampson(?) hand guard is tight but not the stiffest thing in the world. Though its the only handguard I have that is that long so don't really have anything to directly compare it to - its really hanging out there @ 15" iirc. Doesn't matter in the real world as the only thing it touches is the bipod. I'm not going to spend money on it just to change the cosmetics. It hit steel @ 1000yds+ @ Ed's class with relative ease.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    When it comes time to put a new barrel on it (maybe sooner than later), I will change the handguard, I'm looking for something with a flat base for the times I'm not shooting off a bipod. I have the orig RPR also, my handguard seems tight but also flexes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom