• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since we're on the verge of another panic :rolleyes: what extra parts should someone keep on hand for the lower receiver?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Couldn't hurt to just have a spare LPK laying around. I would be more worried about spare upper parts.

Extractor with spring
    Firing pin
    Gas tube.
    Maybe a complete spare BCG.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Working 60+hrs a week, not too worried about spare parts right now. There's no real wear/tear with them in the safe.

**But I do keep extra springs/detents on hand, along with other replaceable 'wear items'.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Never hurts to have spare parts. Though the supply has grown dramatically since the last "panic" so I suspect that basic parts will still be fairly reasonable.

Top list would be LPKs, springs, a few decent triggers, buffer spring, some no-walk pins, bolt rings and rebuild kit, maybe an extra bolt or two. There really are not a huge amount of wearable parts in an AR that's part of its magic.

Wouldn't hurt to cache a few extra mags.

I did snag two Anderson barreled uppers (no BCG or charging handle), really couldn't resist because I got two nice delta ring type uppers, one in 5.56 and one in .300 for $420 total delivered. Its a long story. I know they are just Andersons but good for blasting uppers.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, everyone. I'm hoping my little M4gery will not have to be put to hard use, but my 3-gun rifle will be getting a few thousand rounds a year once I am fully mobile again.

I wanted to get a perspective from the group here on parts that need replacing after time. I picked up one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587468/dpms-ultimate-repair-kit-ar-15 from a local shop for $45 two years ago, I may go ahead and order two more. I'm also looking at picking up a couple of these http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...lost-parts-kit-sku100015383-81773-146540.aspx and I should be covered for any broken parts. Is the buffer tube something that needs replacing at some point? I have an extra buffer that's going into the SBR I'm building, I may have to pick up a few more if it's a maintenance part.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Gas keys and screws, gas rings(and all other replaceable bcg parts), bolt catches, lots of spring and pin assortments. FCG s and buffer springs to name only a few...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Gas keys and screws, gas rings(and all other replaceable bcg parts), bolt catches, lots of spring and pin assortments. FCG s and buffer springs to name only a few...

Why would I replace a gas key and the associated screws instead of replacing the BCG? I've been told by an armorer that if the gas key was loose, I had to replace the screws as they may have stretched, but no mention of the key.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Why would I replace a gas key and the associated screws instead of replacing the BCG? I've been told by an armorer that if the gas key was loose, I had to replace the screws as they may have stretched, but no mention of the key.

If the gas key is staked (like it should) then it likely cannot be restaked in a traditional fashion, it requires field staking (staked from the top, not the sides).

Gas Keys can also get damaged from a drop, be oversized in the bore, have an untrue deck (this can be fixed with stoning).

As for a list, here are my generic maintenance schedule in regards to spare parts:

Every 7,500 Rounds it gets:
    Colt Gold Extractor Spring (Other MFG's last 3-5K rounds so I dont use them)
    Cam Pin
    Gas Rings (NOT One Piece Rings)
    Firing Pin Retainer (Not a Solid Retainer)
    Action/Buffer Spring (Not needed if you use a Tubb Flat Wire Spring)

Every 15,000 Rounds it gets:
    Stripped Bolt Head (check headspace with gauges)
    3 Gas Rings (Not One Piece Rings)
    Springco Ejector Spring
    Ejector and NEW Roll Pin
    Extractor
    Colt Gold Spring
    Chrome Firing Pin (Not Titanium, Melonite, or Unplated)
    Firing Pin Retainer (Not a Solid Retainer)
    Cam Pin (With a directional arrow scribed on the top)
    Gas Tube and NEW Roll Pin
    Action/Buffer Spring (Not needed if you use a Tubb Flat Wire Spring)
    Hammer Spring (NOT Reduced Power)
    Hammer & Trigger Pin (No Anti Rotational B.S.)

Rinse and repeat...

If you have the above for each gun, you are set.

It never hurts to have a Spare Gas Key and 4 Gas Key Screws for each AR you have.

Buffer pads can wear out, Hammer/Trigger Pins can break, and if Action/Buffer Springs or any other springs in the gun corrode, they should be replaced immediately.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Gas key can snap if over torqued or screws come loose/break during firing, roaching the GK. In the case of the over torque, it can actually weaken the base of the GK. If you can afford to replace your BCG when ever you have an issue with the GK, good on ya. Keys are a lot cheaper than BCGs. BTW, staking GKs does not keep them tight, it only helps keep them in place should they break or come loose, preventing further catastrophes.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gas key can snap if over torqued or screws come loose/break during firing, roaching the GK. In the case of the over torque, it can actually weaken the base of the GK. If you can afford to replace your BCG when ever you have an issue with the GK, good on ya. Keys are a lot cheaper than BCGs. BTW, staking GKs does not keep them tight, it only helps keep them in place should they break or come loose, preventing further catastrophes.

This!

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    So Chad... Just make up spares with directions, put in little zip-lock bags, group then in bigger zip-locks, and sell 'em. One big order from your supplier... and many small orders satisfied with you profiting for our convenience.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So Chad... Just make up spares with directions, put in little zip-lock bags, group then in bigger zip-locks, and sell 'em. One big order from your supplier... and many small orders satisfied with you profiting for our convenience.

I'd go for this - right now, I can afford convenience.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Too bad Midway or Brownells don't have affiliate programs. You could provide links and get a cut of all the sales.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not trying to be a smartass, but anyone who's taken one of Chad's classes already knows what parts to stock up on and which ones you need more of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom