• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Do any IP's here deal with anyone that can re-nickel and old Thames pistol? I know the plating job will cost more than the gun is worth. It's family heirloom that was given to my Dad and then to me. Or can get me an estimate. I'm not worried about the gun losing value. It will be for display only. I would just like it to look nice. For mpdc4511, I believe it is .32.

Attachments

• Thames Pistol 004.JPG
      Thames Pistol 004.JPG
      32.1 KB · Views: 184
    • Thames Pistol 005.JPG
      Thames Pistol 005.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 182
    • Thames Pistol 006.JPG
      Thames Pistol 006.JPG
      42.4 KB · Views: 186
    • Thames Pistol 003.JPG
      Thames Pistol 003.JPG
      35.6 KB · Views: 177
    Last edited:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How bad is the nickel now? I collect all kinds of antique revolvers from Norwich. Can probably offer some advice.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If the action is good, as a family keepsake, go for it then. Ask questions about the refinishing process in regards to metal edges. I've seen a lot of low-rent re-nickel jobs where edges were sanded so heavily they looked bullnose. If that much sanding has to happen, I'd probably leave it as is and put the money into a nice presentation case.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Almost totally gone. It was a game wardens service revolver waaaaay back on the 50's in Montgomery County. It's mostly just worn off from the looks of it to me.

Out of curosity would you be willing to post a pic of it. I love revolvers and old LEO pistols and I would love to see it regardless of condition! If not I understand people don't like posting pics of there gun I just love that kind of stuff.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Be careful what you use to clean it. Anything that removes copper can attack the copper plate underneath the nickel plate and cause the remaining nickel to flake off. Personally, I use Kroil on old nickel guns, even though it reeks to high heaven.

Just noticed your photos. I would not re-plate it. It's nicer than most of its remaining kin, especially if the action works. Thames Arms revolvers like yours are relatively rare (but not worth much). In my opinion, if you have it re-plated, its value afterwards will be the same or less than now, assuming it can be put back together in working order. Notice the pins. Hardly any screws. Typically not easy to reassemble. If anything breaks during assembly/reassembly, such as an old spring, you'll have to have a new one custom made. It probably has one or more flat springs (bent sheet metal), which are very delicate by now.

Last edited:

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Your right Boom Boom. It doesn't work as it should, but that doesn't bother me. Like I said, it's going to sit in a cabinet to look at. I think I'm going to take your advice and just try and clean it up a little. What do think about using Flitz on it? I have had good luck cleaning other things with it.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I use Flitz liquid, mostly on stainless. It can damage nickel if you're not gentle. With nickel that old in that condition, I'd think about it a long time before I tried it if it was my gun.

I think you're better off trying Kroil to start with. Wipe it on/off in an inconspicuous spot first. If no problem, then let it sit on an inconspicuous corroded spot for maybe 30 minutes or an hour (or overnight) to see if it helps. Scrubbing afterwards with Q-tips (wet with Kroil) sometimes works well. If not, try standard writing paper next (folded several times into ~2" square). Other options from least to most aggressive: nylon cleaning brush (toothbrush-style), soaked brass/bronze wool (very carefully), soaked 0000 steel wool (very carefully). Wear rubber gloves. Be sure to remove the grips first. Do not get Kroil on the grips. Use something like Ballistol or Rem Oil to condition the grips.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Just my opinion, but if all of the wear marks were put there by your game warden ancestor, those marks tell the story of his service, and I think add to, rather than detract from, this revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom