• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I may or may not have a line on a custom, long-slide 10mm 1911 maker. As shooting with my bifocals is making shooting accurately harder than necessary, I'm looking for a slide mounted optic that can take the punishment of full power 10mm loads. I've seen some folks here have purchased Glock 40s, what sight are you using and is it holding up?

GregSB

Feb 20, 2013
    I have a Burris Fastfire III mounted on a glock 40 MOS and it is holding up fine to a variety of ammo including full power Underwood.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Best is likely the Trijicon RMR but that is at the top of the price scale. Glocks have a lot of meat in the slide so a red dot melted (machined) into the slide works well. I don't know if the 1911 slide has enough meat on top for that you may have to check. I think on a 1911 you have to use a red dot mount that goes into the rear sight dovetail. I know back in around 2009 I used a slide ride $300 red dot on a Sig P229 Sport in 357Sig. Had to send it back to the factory to get it fixed once per year but they did it for free. Anything over about 1300 FPS is going to punish a slide ride optic and that is the main reason most open race guns use frame mounted optics. I had the glass window on a Trijicon RMR I bought used pop out during a match when shooting 160+PF 9mm in my G34. Main reason might have been that I was using a stock 17# recoil spring in it but since then I have switched to 145 PF ammo in a new RMR I bought and that works fine. I also switched to a dual illuminated RMR which does not have a battery powered optic. The battery system and the associated switches are usually the first things that fail in any red dot used in competitive action shooting (if something does go wrong) so that is the main reason I went with the model I have. I have used a Burris FF3 on my 3-gun shotgun with no issues and right now it is on my S&W 986 revolver.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ain't no way I'm running and gunning with a 10mm, I'd lose way too much brass that way! This is going to be a hunting pistol, so the sight is not going to get as beat up as a it would on a competition gun, but I don't want one that will break while I'm mowing down feral pigs in Texas :D

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Bestest is Trijicon RMR but its a skosh wider than the slide so it will overhang a bit. If I remember correctly a Luepold Deltapoint will be roughly equal in width to a standard 1911 slide.

This all presumes milling it into the slide so you can cowitness with irons of course.

You could always go with a Surefire MR07 and a bridge mount.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Bestest is Trijicon RMR but its a skosh wider than the slide so it will overhang a bit. If I remember correctly a Luepold Deltapoint will be roughly equal in width to a standard 1911 slide.

This all presumes milling it into the slide so you can cowitness with irons of course.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Since this is going to be made to my specs, I would prefer this set up for easy holster finding and less stuff to get plants hung up on.

You could always go with a Surefire MR07 and a bridge mount.

I had a bridge mount on a pistol before, it was not optimal for getting the gun up and on target. At least for me. This wouldn't be a question here if I were going to go that route.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The trijicon rmr is the only red dot that I would trust that is slide mounted and can handle the 10mm recoil.

However , the rmr is a bit wider than most 1911 slides. An adapter must be fabricated to fill the gap. OR.........

Use the trijicon 1911 rmr mount with built in tritium sights that co-witness with the optic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 100

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The trijicon rmr is the only red dot that I would trust that is slide mounted and can handle the 10mm recoil.

However , the rmr is a bit wider than most 1911 slides. An adapter must be fabricated to fill the gap. OR.........

Use the trijicon 1911 rmr mount with built in tritium sights that co-witness with the optic.

This is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    This is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I'm working on a similar project. My eyes are also getting older. I use an rmr on a glock 19 and 32 for my Ccw gun. A fast fire 3 on a g34. I like the concept.

I'm working on a 1911 long slide in 10mm with an RMR right now. It's going to be an all purpose gun. From target shooting , hunting to HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom