• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Last week I picked up my 1st revolver, a Ruger GP-100. Although I'm still a new shooter, I've never been satisfied with my results from shooting semiautomatics (shooting low left, which I know is a flinch reflex), but with this thing I was absolutely crushing it. Especially in double action mode. We are talking about a 1 inch hole (not a group) at ~9 yards. I'm now a huge revolver fan!

What do you all think is behind this? I think perhaps the really long heavy pull forcing you to keep your sights on target. I'm also using the cross over thumbs hold, that was recommended by Jerry Miculek...might that be a factor? I know the thumbs forward is what is recommended for semi automatics, and that is all I've ever tried, but could you used the crossed thumbs grip (being careful to cross far enough back so the slide won't bite you)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thumbs crossed for revolvers is so you don't shove your thumbs in frnt of the cylinder gap, can you use it on a semi auto? Sure but there's no real benefit.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Wow!

Sounds like you follow sound principles and found your grove.

I've known some people (my son when younger) break all rules and still shoot very well.

Congrats on the Ruger...that thing is a tank.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I think what helps is the trigger stacking. You can feel what's like a second stage and can predict the break, allowing single-action accuracy. Some people like it. Others hate it. I like it.

If your hands aren't large, consider ordering the GP100 compact grip from Ruger's website. Will make the gun feel and handle like a medium frame. Best change I made.

I changed my GP100 to Meprolight night sights. I like those a lot.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Double action revolvers like yours are the best teachers of trigger control.

Yes I got this exactly for that purpose. However I wasn't expecting to be shooting the lights out with this double action revolver. After I had run 30 rounds through the GP100, I switched to my Ruger American in 9mm. And my old problems returned by the 3rd shot...printing low left. And the Ruger American was the best for me of 4 autos I tested, so it ain't the pistol

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Ordered mine a few weeks ago and last Saturday my HQL came in the mail. Went it paid it off and picked it up yesterday. I went with the 6" blued love the feel of it and going to take it out shoot Thursday evening. My first revolver as well congratulations I hope I enjoy mine as much as you do yours.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Ordered mine a few weeks ago and last Saturday my HQL came in the mail. Went it paid it off and picked it up yesterday. I went with the 6" blued love the feel of it and going to take it out shoot Thursday evening. My first revolver as well congratulations I hope I enjoy mine as much as you do yours.

Good for you! I got the 4.2 inch stainless. I'm already thinking of getting a blued 3 incher as my next one.

Red5

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2016
    Maryland
    I just watched Hickock45's youtube review on this. Good review. It's a 6 shooter. Why are some revolvers 5 shooter.?

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo

What are people's thoughts of stainless versus blued revolvers in general? I love the look of the blued steel, but opted for the stainless only because I read some reports that the finish wears less.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I just watched Hickock45's youtube review on this. Good review. It's a 6 shooter. Why are some revolvers 5 shooter.?

The 5 shooters, in 357/38, are usually a smaller frame and the cylinder can't accommodate 6 rounds. I have a SP101 that is 5 rounds. It is a smaller, lighter version of the GP100.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    My personal thought and opnion is I like the all black look of the blues but the stainless has it perks if you like shiny objects lol But in all seriousness the stainless finish can easily be buffed and polished back up where as blue can and will be worn away if it's just a gun you throw around and don't take care of.

DoNoHarm

by action or inaction
    Oct 9, 2008
    Balto City
    Congratulations!

Welcome to the wonderful world of wheelgunning.

I shoot revolvers better than semi's too, and I don't know why either.

I think they are just awesome that way.

Enjoy!! :party29:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes I got this exactly for that purpose. However I wasn't expecting to be shooting the lights out with this double action revolver. After I had run 30 rounds through the GP100, I switched to my Ruger American in 9mm. And my old problems returned by the 3rd shot...printing low left. And the Ruger American was the best for me of 4 autos I tested, so it ain't the pistol

You need more range time. Try to find a good pistol coach to watch you and see what you are doing, you can learn a lot from an experienced set of eyes.

In the mean time try shooting a cylinder full from the GP 100 then a single load in your 9mm. Then switch back to the GP and do 6 +1 and if you are consistent in point of impact try 6+2 then 6+3 etc. When shooting the semiauto's are all the shots low left or does the first shot go where intended and the rest low left? What is your typical group size with the 9mm?

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    You need more range time. Try to find a good pistol coach to watch you and see what you are doing, you can learn a lot from an experienced set of eyes.

In the mean time try shooting a cylinder full from the GP 100 then a single load in your 9mm. Then switch back to the GP and do 6 +1 and if you are consistent in point of impact try 6+2 then 6+3 etc. When shooting the semiauto's are all the shots low left or does the first shot go where intended and the rest low left? What is your typical group size with the 9mm?

Yes, I actually took a lesson, and it confirmed that I'm flinching with the auto 9mm. And my first shots with the semi auto generally hit where I'm pointing, so the flinch develops after I start. But the more I shoot it, the worse that my flinching becomes and I start pulling low left. And I did at least part of what you suggested...after emptying two mags of 9mm, I went back to the GP100, and was shooting at point of aim right off the bat.

The guy I took the lesson from said that this should get better with more range time, which is what you said too. I'm wondering if I should try the crossover thumbs hold with the 9mm. It seems to me that it becomes even harder to flinch with that hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom