• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I had my doubts when this mini-course offered by JHU's Odyssey program popped up on my radar this morning but I may just try to squeeze it into an already too full schedule.

https://aapnoncredit.jhu.edu/CourseStatus.awp?&course=17F91076601

In 2008, the legal landscape was drastically reshaped by the United States Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia v. Heller. Yet scholars, gun opponents, and gun proponents argue over gun rights and gun restrictions. Legislatures in Maryland, New York, and Connecticut passed laws that opponents now challenge on constitutional grounds. Federal circuit courts have reached different legal conclusions in their efforts to examine these laws. How did America reach this point, and where did gun rights and gun restrictions begin? What role did racism play in gun control? What regulations may be constitutionally permissible? This four-session course will examine these issues and more.

I had initial doubts this would be a regurgitation of Danny Webster's talking points but the instructor seems to be on the level with working for 2A rights, including work with the Pink Pistols in filing amici curiae in the Kolbe v. Hogan suit. I figure having at least one JHU firearms owner there would be a good thing. At best, I can learn something, and at worst I can make some heads explode.

Anyone want to join the fun? They may not let us sit at the "cool kids" table but we can still sit in the back and make pew-pew noises.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    It is being held on the Homewood campus in Baltimore. It is offered by the Advanced Academic Programs division which has some DC offices. I thought it was kind of strange myself but it looks like the instructor may actually be presenting an accurate legal history investigation into the Second Amendment. With Mikey B. kicking in another 300 megabucks to the JHSPH today, attending this course seems like a fine way to spit in his eye.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Thank you sir, for being the mole at that venerable "research" institution.

While I do have to bite my tongue at times, there are some fun moments. It brings a smile to my face to use the JHU access to journal databases to research my written testimony for Senate and House hearings and then print the multitude of copies needed on paper paid for by Mike Bloomberg. As an added bit of fun, there is the occasional chance to make a head or two explode.

I think the greatest overall good is done by openly being a gun owner and treating my coworkers with courtesy and respect, thus hopefully dispelling the myth of firearms owners being a bunch of uncultured rednecks... not that there's anything wrong with that.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom