• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Be honest and courteous. The investigator isn't the one who made the law. Being antagonistic during the interview is not going to help your case. I am not saying you would be, just the frame of mind one should have going into it. My questions were basic. The very first was why do you want a permit. The others were work related, daily deposits, cash amounts, type of weapon, alcohol/drug use, any prescriptions and physical altercations. The violence question seemed important to my investigator as it was asked of me twice, and all of my references, especially my wife.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    For those that are beyond 90 days from application date you have a statutory right to proceed with an appeal to the HPRB. You do not have to keep waiting.

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    For those that are beyond 90 days from application date you have a statutory right to proceed with an appeal to the HPRB. You do not have to keep waiting.

Would you mind explaining briefly how this works? Do you contact the HPRB directly once you are past 90 days and they schedule a review within a certain amount of time, without ever hearing back from the LD?

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    have answers to all these questions...I've been there done that, the rest of you take notes

what is your present position and job title
    what are your business hours
    are thee off street parking facilities
    what are the lighting conditions
    type of surroundings at buisness
    what police districts are nearby
    do you respond to alarm calls
    percentage of buisness dealing with cash
    how often and what time of day do you make depositits
    method used to make deposits
    what transportation do you use
    what bank
    travel distance
    solo deposits?
    are you a guard
    type of work you perform
    have you been robbed? please document
    where will you secure the firearm whem not in use
    what caliber firearm
    do you drink
    do you take scrip meds

some but not all the questions I semi recall. good luck, plead your case it may help.
    I don't recall being asked any of these questions in my interview. Maybe "do you drink"?? FYI, there are many of us here that have been there done that also.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I'm applying, got a call to set up an interview. Any advice? My main argument is:
    a. DOD employee
    b. High security clearance
    c. OPM data breach
    d. Work at Pax River (location targeted by ISIS)
    e. Involved in testing of unmanned aircraft
    f. Publicly associated with unmanned aviation (professional papers going as far back as the late 1990s)

My circumstances are the same as your sans e and f. I did not get asked the litany of questions presented by brownspotz, but his situation is obviously as a business owner.
    After my 90 days (post interview) had passed, I called MSP to check on my status and was very specifically told that my clearance, OPM hack and ISIS threats would carry no weight in the consideration.
    YMMV

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    I just received my permit for G&S,, The interview was very professional. The main questions i remember were;

What is your position in the company
    What percent of deposits and purchases are cash
    How much do you drink
    When was the last time you were in a fight
    What type of gun do you plan on carrying
    Source of training, we talked about my prior military service

There were a few more i forget, but it was not like the other posters list.

Also they asked about criminal/violation record, even though they have already done a NICS check, or you would not be there. I answered i had a violation with the DNR,, we talked about that and then I stated to the best of my knowledge that is all i recollect, which i assume was correct since he did not bring anything else up.

He seemed to have a sheet with questions, and was writing notes after the question-- so it appeared to me contrary to other poster they do not ask "what ever they feel like"

Whole thing took 15min. After that we talked about the ridiculously lax judicial system in Maryland, the increase in crime ect.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I just received my permit for G&S,, The interview was very professional. The main questions i remember were;

How much do you drink

Also they asked about criminal/violation record, even though they have already done a NICS check, or you would not be there. I answered i had a violation with the DNR,, we talked about that and then I stated to the best of my knowledge that is all i recollect, which i assume was correct since he did not bring anything else up.

He seemed to have a sheet with questions, and was writing notes after the question-- so it appeared to me contrary to other poster they do not ask "what ever they feel like"

Whole thing took 15min. After that we talked about the ridiculously lax judicial system in Maryland, the increase in crime ect.
    With 68 posts since joining in 2010 to your credit, I can't understand how you missed the thread in 2013 on interviews. I take that you were not around in 2013 during the rush to apply and the push by MSP to get 365 interviews completed. During that time, there was a running thread dedicated to discussing the handling of the interviews. It was clear that the interviewer was given the file of the applicant and he/she would verify the information in the application and it was also abundantly clear that they went off the reservation, asking any sort of question their little brain could come up with. So, contrary to what you think, "this other poster" and those of us who went through the process know what happens all across the state in these interviews, they DO ask whatever they want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    I was unawares they were issuing permits now to "operators"

My applications was based on being a business owner,

When I applied, I was exempted from the 16hr training requirement because of military service. He asked what brach of the Army I served in, so I told him the Infantry. Don't be a dick, I was just putting it out there since it was a question he asked, and someone may be in the same position to claim the exemption. I was just publishing the questions that were asked of me during my interview.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

When I applied, I was exempted from the 16hr training requirement because of military service. He asked what brach of the Army I served in, so I told him the Infantry. Don't be a dick, I was just putting it out there since it was a question he asked, and someone may be in the same position to claim the exemption. I was just publishing the questions that were asked of me during my interview.

I take that the "don't be a Dick" comment was aimed directly at me, so I will reply.

It was you that stated "it appeared to me contrary to other poster they do not ask "what ever they feel like", in reference to my post. In doing so, you made a case that you know what these interviewers ask everyone, based on one interview, YOURS. In doing so, you inferred that "the other poster", ME, doesn't know WTF I'm talking about. Try researching previous threads on the subject and you'll find that there is no real consistency in the conduct of these interviews and the intrusiveness of the questioning depends solely on the luck of the draw for the trooper who is assigned to do the investigation and his/her attitude. If for some reason you are denied and appeal to the HPRB the questions will go up a notch on the ridiculousness scale.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I take that the "don't be a Dick" comment was aimed directly at me, so I will reply.

It was you that stated "it appeared to me contrary to other poster they do not ask "what ever they feel like", in reference to my post. In doing so, you made a case that you know what these interviewers ask everyone, based on one interview, YOURS. In doing so, you inferred that "the other poster", ME, doesn't know WTF I'm talking about. Try researching previous threads on the subject and you'll find that there is no real consistency in the conduct of these interviews and the intrusiveness of the questioning depends solely on the luck of the draw for the trooper who is assigned to do the investigation and his/her attitude. If for some reason you are denied and appeal to the HPRB the questions will go up a notch on the ridiculousness scale.

Why would you think his Dick comment was aimed at you when he quoted someone else?

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    @StraightShooter , if you read my "dick" quote it was referring to the other poster that referenced "operator" right after I stated a question that was asked about my exemption from training by being ex-military...

As far as the questions I was stating what occurred during my recent (2 months ago). Also myself and several others i know that have W&C permits were asked much same similar questions, I never suggested all interviews go like mine or others, but contrary to the OP there were very few questions, and they did not appear to be un-scripted. So I guess its a coin toss if you get an interview like mine or one from the KGB.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back during the 365 days, had 4 of the questions. The Trooper also commented to the effect of " all these other questions don't apply".

My take is they do have a list of sugguested standard questions, but the interviewers have a degree of discrrssion to either skip irrelevant ones, or veer off to follow up on anything that catches his attention.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The person that interviewed me and my wife at the Licensing Division in Pikesville, said the only reason she asked us to come in for a face to face interview was so she "could look at us to see if we looked crazy". I took this as introductory banter. Then during her interview, she stated that "you do know that guns make good people do bad things?". The interviewer didn't agree with my reply, which I kept civil, but it didn't have any effect on the outcome, unless of course it was to see if I had a short fuse, which I showed by my reply that I didn't.

I'm pretty certain that none of that was on a checklist.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

How much do you drink

How long from when they received your application until you received your permit?

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Mine was right around 90 days, I had my interview with Sgt. Martin on Feb 24th. He gave me a form that said they were closing the investigation 4/21. He then said if it you don't have it by May 1st, call this number. It arrived the 3rd week of
    April,

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Regarding the interview, it really is just a formality. There isn't anything out of the ordinary that occurs. There is supposed to be a standard list of questions to be asked based upon your g&s. I do believe that there is some variance in the overall questions. Mine were mainly verifying my information from my application, asking about drinking, drugs, violent tendancies etc. They also asked for my wife's information in addition to my references to verify that I'm not an abuser and they asked her a few questions about my habits.

I think many people look too far into this portion of the application process. This portion is just collecting basic information which is then forwarded to the licensing division to be reviewed by them.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Check the OP, I was not responding to you, nor did I quote you. Queue in Carly Simon..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What MXRider said. Unless you spontaneously go bat s@!$ crazy during the interview, usually just repeating the same answers from the application, plus asking if you have stopped beating your wife yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom