• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    After 45 years of shooting right-handed rifles as a lefty, I'm finally getting a left-handed, bolt-action rifle, a Savage Axis in .223 Remington from my friends at Tyler Firearms. I've already ordered a trigger kit to lighten the pull a bit. I'm putting a Blackhawk bipod on it, and obviously a Picatinny rail with scope. The one thing I'm debating is bedding the stock. My Remington 597 in an Archangel AA597 stock has a free floating barrel and it is a total tack driver. Most of my shooting is going to be between 25 and 200 yards. I have a few questions for the community:
    1) For recreational shooting, is the time and effort of bedding a stock worthwhile?
    2) What is the best technique for bedding a synthetic stock? (Pointing me at a YouTube video that you've used would be helpful)
    3) Any other suggestions for that particular platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    From another lefty, welcome to the "correct" side.;)
    Before you go all crazy on it shoot it some, you'll be suprised how accurate it is right from the box.

Axis 243
    Axis 308
    Model 11 22-250
    Model 111 300 Win Mag

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Whether or not bedding is worthwhile, depends on how badly the out of the box bedding sucks or doesn't dosen't suck. Try it as is and see, if it meets your needs/ expectations, great. If not start diagnosing.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Given all of the reviews I've read, I'm expecting it to perform well out of the box. The majority of the tweaking I've seen involves lightening the trigger.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    DON'T make the same mistake I did, and do ANYTHING with a left handed AR. There is NO NEED.

Do I like that I don't get brass anywhere near my face? Yes. Does the standard AR with the deflector put brass near my face? Maybe once every 300 rounds one comes close. But not close enough to feel the heat or even wince.

As far as bolts go, I would want a left handed bolt rifle.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    DON'T make the same mistake I did, and do ANYTHING with a left handed AR. There is NO NEED.

Do I like that I don't get brass anywhere near my face? Yes. Does the standard AR with the deflector put brass near my face? Maybe once every 300 rounds one comes close. But not close enough to feel the heat or even wince.

Trust me, I would never buy a left handed AR. First of all, I learned how to shoot mid-caliber rifles with a right handed M-16. I'd have to unlearn what I know. Second, one of the beauties of the AR platform is its interchangeability. A left-handed upper would require a left-handed BCG, and if I wanted to put a left-handed BCG into a new upper, it would have to be left-handed too. There is little value to be gained from a left-handed AR.

Conversely, a left-handed bolt action rifle adds a lot of value because it lets me keep the rifle in the ready position instead of having to take my right hand off of the fore stock to rack the next round.

It's going to be weird at first. All of my bolt action shooting in the last few years has been with my right handed Mosin-Nagant 91/30. I suspect it will feel more natural after a few boxes of ammo.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Ever shot a right handed AR with a suppressor left handed?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Why do you need to use your right hand. Just use your left hand

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DyZztvmoyl4

That's a neat technique, but with a scope that provides 3.5" of eye relief, I'd have to break my cheek weld in order rack the bolt. Maintaining a cheek weld is critical to precision riflery. It would also interfere with my vision. It's a moot point because Savage seems to be doing a great job of realising that 10% of the population is left handed and that there are many right handed people that are left eyed.

Last edited:

3 Gun Gal

Aug 2, 2016
    Carroll Co.
    Congratulations. I'm glad you are getting a lefty bolt rifle. I'll be getting a lefty AR with a side charge this year. I have a friend with this set up and I fell in love with it. I've always been fine with a standard AR and have even thought it was a little easier for a lefty since we can lock the bolt to the rear without moving both hands. Problem is I get pelted with brass on my forearm when I try to extend my right arm out toward the front end of the handguard and. This is a common support hand grip used in 3 gun and it would be nice to not get little burns in the summer or have to sweat through an arm sleeve. Also, bad levers are completely worthless for lefties.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Congratulations. I'm glad you are getting a lefty bolt rifle. I'll be getting a lefty AR with a side charge this year. I have a friend with this set up and I fell in love with it. I've always been fine with a standard AR and have even thought it was a little easier for a lefty since we can lock the bolt to the rear without moving both hands. Problem is I get pelted with brass on my forearm when I try to extend my right arm out toward the front end of the handguard and. This is a common support hand grip used in 3 gun and it would be nice to not get little burns in the summer or have to sweat through an arm sleeve. Also, bad levers are completely worthless for lefties.

From the perspective of a three gun shooter, I can understand why you would be interested in getting a lefty AR. I've never done three gun. It looks very interesting. Can you do it using a pistol caliber carbine? My only AR configuration is in .22 LR.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Why do you need to use your right hand. Just use your left hand....

Used to be I could. Even the Garand, using my fingers instead of my thumb to push the clip in. (If you think M1 thumb hurts...). Then I got old, and my rifles grew scopes. Now, not so much.

I'm a big fan of Savage. Good gun for a good price, and they don't charge us left-eye dominant folks any extra. I don't know much about the Axis, but I'd suggest shooting the snot out of it first, before making any upgrades, bedding, trigger, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Used to be I could. Even the Garand, using my fingers instead of my thumb to push the clip in. (If you think M1 thumb hurts...). Then I got old, and my rifles grew scopes. Now, not so much.

I'm a big fan of Savage. Good gun for a good price, and they don't charge us left-eye dominant folks any extra. I don't know much about the Axis, but I'd suggest shooting the snot out of it first, before making any upgrades, bedding, trigger, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised.

That seems to be the consensus. I am going to swap the trigger spring and drop about three pounds of pull, but other than that, I'll wait and see if I need to do anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom