• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Remember what happened in 2002 when the Washington Beltway sniper was still active? MSP troopers knocked on the door of everyone registered as a buyer of an AR-type rifle in their data base, & requested that the person show them the rifle. Of course they had no right to demand that the person show their rifle, since, obviously, that would have been illegal.

It was ironic that they revealed their "secret" data base by doing that, especially since the murder weapon had been stolen from a gun shop on the West Coast.

They didn't knock on my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Feds have the list of everything purchased *since 1968* .

No they probably don't, as a coherent, inclusive list.

All those 4473 forms we fill out are required to stay with the dealer until he retires his license. At that point, he sends boxes and boxes of old paperwork to the ATF.

The ATF has been entering as many 4473s as they can in a database, yes. They send agents to dealer's shops to copy and photograph entire boxes of 4473s, presumably for that database. They are TRYING to amass that " ... list of everything purchased..." that you mention.

But they don't have it yet, and they never will have an accurate list the way they're going. All they can ever hope for, using the methods I described, is an incomplete list riddled with errors and duplicates.

That's why the enemy wants a true, all-inclusive national registration system, and that's why we must continue to fight them. If we say, "Oh they already have complete lists anyway," then we just give up like a bunch of Maginot Line Surrender Monkeys.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Remember what happened in 2002 when the Washington Beltway sniper was still active? MSP troopers knocked on the door of everyone registered as a buyer of an AR-type rifle in their data base, & requested that the person show them the rifle. Of course they had no right to demand that the person show their rifle, since, obviously, that would have been illegal.

It was ironic that they revealed their "secret" data base by doing that, especially since the murder weapon had been stolen from a gun shop on the West Coast.
    Not just MSP knocking on doors. And they took some of those weapons and fired them to check ballistics. Even brand new old Colts.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There is no national database of guns. We have no centralized record of who owns all the firearms...

Yup.

But to be fair to the paranoid tin-foilers, the ATF has been trying to computerize as many 4473s as they can in a central database. We don't know how successful they have been. As a result, it seems possible that they have at least some of my 4473s in their database somewhere.

But even if they did have every single 4473 in existence in the very best searchable database imaginable, it would still be full of errors, duplicates, and omissions.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    There is no national database of guns. We have no centralized record of who owns all the firearms we so vigorously debate, no hard data regarding how many people own them, how many of them are bought or sold, or how many even exist.

I have a hard time believing that. I got rear end in VA. I did volunteer I was transporting firearms.

The officer took my saiga12 ran the number gave it back.... It was FFL transferred. There is a database somewhere. Though them checking it was because I volunteered i had it. Thought I had on obligation to let the officer know I had guns in the trunk. I had nothing to hide. I fear the next, maybe someday I will.

~G

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a hard time believing that. I got rear end in VA. I did volunteer I was transporting firearms.

The officer took my saiga12 ran the number gave it back.... It was FFL transferred. There is a database somewhere. ...

~G

He might have checked a database of stolen firearms. That does exist. It didn't come up "hot", so he gave it back. Do you have any reason to think he got a result saying "Glaron from Maryland bought this gun"?

Besides, tracing a specific gun isn't the same as generating a list of every gun you own, especially an accurate list. Maryland can generate a list of handguns and some rifles I own, but if I owned a Ruger M77 , a Glenfield 60, or a Mossberg 500, or a Mosin, they wouldn't have them in their database. And they wouldn't know about the Luger that great grampaw captured from the Kaiser hisself. (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3544401#post3544401)

And suppose I bought a Mossberg shotgun from a store that later went out of business. The ATF should have that 4473 somewhere, perhaps on microfilm, perhaps in a cardboard box in a shipping container out in the parking lot. But what if I swapped that shotgun years ago for a rifle that somebody else bought used, from who knows where?

They can't generate a list of my guns from the data they have, particularly an accurate list.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    He might have checked a database of stolen firearms. That does exist. It didn't come up "hot", so he gave it back. Do you have any reason to think he got a result saying "Glaron from Maryland bought this gun"?...

To be clear, in the call I heard on the scanner, the cop asked dispatch to do a firearms search by the guy's name.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    MSP runs the Maryland Gun Center. Supposedly to assist LEO with recovered firearms ID but I suspect something else more nefarious is probably going on.

The only thing nefarious about the MD Gun Center is its shameful waste of resources. Its supposed to be modeled after the NJ Gun Center, which was studied at significant cost. It was supposed to connect crime guns with their sources, in an attepmt to reduce crime. However, the last i heard, participation in reporting seizures was voluntary, and the two largest districts (not baltimore city) were not participating. For the gun center to actually do "its job" they requested 70+ additional staff members. That was a number reached by added the numbers of gun task force officers in each county, in order to create a number so high and costly, that the legislature would never approve such and undertaking.

Currently, the data they do collect is only analyzed by a part time analyst on loan from Goucher, iirc.

Mostly the gun center just spends their time answering their hotline, and explaining MD's vast, confusing, contradictoryn and arbitrary gun laws to other law enforcement agencies.

For the record:

For decades there has been a database in CJIS in MD on the state side called "MGUN."

Any officer with CJIS access and a login can search it. It contains a list of every regulated gun registered in MD. They can search by you name and get all REGULATED firearms registered to you in MD as well as a list of your gun permits, guard licenses and other permits issued by the Licensing Division.

This is the law enforcement "dash board", MGUN is one of the resources they can access. The actual registry is called MAIFFS and it maintained by the DPSCS. The same DPSCS that was infiltrated by the BGF gang. MAIFFS is the record of every sale or transfer of a regulated firearm in MD, since regulated firearms were first defined.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You think the back entered all the typewritten 77s (pre 77r)?

Just wondering, I have no idea.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    To be clear, in the call I heard on the scanner, the cop asked dispatch to do a firearms search by the guy's name.

I was talking about a Virginia LEO checking on the other poster's Saiga shotgun.

There is no mystery about the incident you mention. It has been discussed in other threads, and clarified by LEOs on this forum.

Maryland has a database of all the 77rs, records of transfers and voluntary registrations of regulated firearms. That database is searchable by name, and the cop who pulls you over can ask for the information under your name if he wants to.

What will come up is a list of any firearms you transferred on a 77r or voluntarily registered (which is not a transfer). That would be handguns and pre-2013 Scary Looking Long Guns.

The list will NOT include any handguns or Scary Rifles you bought when you lived in Iowa and brought with you when you moved here. It will not include all those handguns you bought face-to-face before 1996. It won't include family heirlooms, such as that Luger you grampaw captured from Rommel hisself. It won't include handguns you imported with your Federal Firearms License.

On the other hand, it will include that Lorcin you sold to Clandestine last year, the same one he later sold to Alphabrew, who in turn sold it to Fabsroman, who sold it to Mopar, who sold it to Protege. As far as the MSP, that single pistol belongs to every one of you. Little do they know, Protege moved to Texas and swapped it for a $100 Piggly Wiggly gift card.

But anyway, Maryland's searchable, flawed, inaccurate, incomplete database is no mystery.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I was talking about a Virginia LEO checking on the other poster's Saiga shotgun.

There is no mystery about the incident you mention. It has been discussed in other threads, and clarified by LEOs on this forum.

Maryland has a database of all the 77rs, records of transfers and voluntary registrations of regulated firearms. That database is searchable by name, and the cop who pulls you over can ask for the information under your name if he wants to.

What will come up is a list of any firearms you transferred on a 77r or voluntarily registered (which is not a transfer). That would be handguns and pre-2013 Scary Looking Long Guns.

The list will NOT include any handguns or Scary Rifles you bought when you lived in Iowa and brought with you when you moved here. It will not include all those handguns you bought face-to-face before 1996. It won't include family heirlooms, such as that Luger you grampaw captured from Rommel hisself. It won't include handguns you imported with your Federal Firearms License.

On the other hand, it will include that Lorcin you sold to Clandestine last year, the same one he later sold to Alphabrew, who in turn sold it to Fabsroman, who sold it to Mopar, who sold it to Protege. As far as the MSP, that single pistol belongs to every one of you. Little do they know, Protege moved to Texas and swapped it for a $100 Piggly Wiggly gift card.

But anyway, Maryland's searchable, flawed, inaccurate, incomplete database is no mystery.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member