• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    So I'm looking for expertise. I bought two M1 Carbines 7 or 8 years ago because my darlin' wife LOVED shooting a friend's M1 Carbine. So I guess technically they belong to her. :)

I got another one in a trade deal a couple of weeks ago.

I'd like to sit down with someone who knows these rifles in and out and can help me figure out 1) the historical "value" of each one and 2) the monetary value. I'm not planning on selling anything right now but I'd like to have a better idea of just what I have.

I'm on the eastern shore but I would be happy to drive somewhere if someone is willing to let me pick their brain a bit.

Any suggestions? Any volunteers?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That's tough. Collecting Carbines takes a really knowledgeable person. There was 10+ makers of them...many parts were used by multiple makers. Different machining operations took place at various times as manufacturing updates were authorized.

Finding someone thoroughly knowledgable might prove difficult but they are out there. Scott Duff and Bruce Canfield have each written books on the subject...maybe familiarizing yourself might be worth your time.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I've got Canfield's book on the M1 Garand as well as four of Scott Duff's books on the Garand. But I haven't looked at their work on the Carbine.

Your reasoning for suggesting that I get some additional education is right on the money and is exactly why I'm asking for help. BECAUSE there were so many manufacturers and so much mixing of parts it would take me a very long time to begin to scratch the surface of understanding of these rifles. I've shot hundreds of rounds through them but I haven't taken hundreds of hours to study them.

Thus my desire to make contact with someone who has spent those hundreds of hours already and finds it recreational to talk with others about them and to see rifles that they haven't seen before. That person would have more good info for me at a glance than I would get in the next few weeks...

That's tough. Collecting Carbines takes a really knowledgeable person. There was 10+ makers of them...many parts were used by multiple makers. Different machining operations took place at various times as manufacturing updates were authorized.

Finding someone thoroughly knowledgable might prove difficult but they are out there. Scott Duff and Bruce Canfield have each written books on the subject...maybe familiarizing yourself might be worth your time.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Thanks! The other thread was from a guy looking at Garands but hopefully the same gentleman who helped him with his Garands can be of some help to me with carbines!

Johnkn had a nice diverse collection of Carbines. Maybe if you PM him, he can point you in the right direction for further guidance.

There's a contact he recommends at the end of this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=241283

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I would contact Jim Mock over at the M1 Carbine forum. When it comes to research on M1s. He's top notch. He worked with Larry Ruth on one of his war baby books. Don't remember which one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom