• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Thanks to everyone for making my first Steel Challenge a success! From the event organizers, to the squad RSO's and shooters, all of them welcoming, patient, and instructive. I really only had three requirements of myself, those being to shoot safely, have fun, and not come in last...all three were satisfied! But ugh, did I really need to start this experience with the Double Helix on my first stage. ;) I saw that in my sleep all night :lol2:

Felt like I had something like a working strategy this time for the other moving targets but I really can’t figure out an approach for the helix, yesterday I timed out with two plates left. Seems like one approach is to get a few shots off real fast before it gets momentum, but inevitably you end up with something like a tough split in bowling except the pins are flying around in an unpredictable pattern.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    Felt like I had something like a working strategy this time for the other moving targets but I really can’t figure out an approach for the helix, yesterday I timed out with two plates left. Seems like one approach is to get a few shots off real fast before it gets momentum, but inevitably you end up with something like a tough split in bowling except the pins are flying around in an unpredictable pattern.

So when I finished the stage (and got them all), after a lot of time and a lot of ammo, I turn around to hear the RSO's say to each other..."is there a max time on this stage?" :lol2: Since it was my first time shooting a spinning target of any kind, I'm kind of glad they let me go until I got them all, despite the ammo dump, as it gave me some confidence going forward.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I enjoyed the new-style "big stages." They were very well thought out for ease of scoring by making the shooter engage groups of targets in order. (I still don't understand why the heck that white one fell down when I was aiming for the black one behind it :o). Putting the "gatekeepers" (TX star, PP rack, and helix) at the end was nice so that the less advanced shooters could have some fun engaging stationary targets first, and not burn the clock (and ammo) on the movers at the very beginning. Combined with the tractor mods, they seemed to clean up very quickly too!

As a competitor, I like to run around a little bit between shooting boxes. As an RO, I hate having to run between shooting boxes 10+ times per stage :rolleyes:. Maybe just one big stage with some movement?:innocent0

I also still like keeping a couple of the simple steel challenge type stages. I really think there is some training value in being able to shoot the exact same stage a couple of times.

As always, good fun with good folks :party29:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The one critique I have of the big style stages we had at this match was that they eliminated a lot of the stage planning aspect, which is a real skill that I like to practice. I suspect this was to make it doable for people running 22s, but the truth is that figuring out if someone had hit all the double helix or even PPR plates with a 22 was still challenging. Otherwise, yes, they were good tests of skill.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed the "not running" aspect of them. Steel Challenge is very much about stand-and-deliver, and I don't mind that being the theme overall.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Looks like perfect weather tomorrow. Why am I only digging out gear and ammo at 10:00 the night before? It’s a mystery. See y’all at the Humility Olympics! I have this feeling the Double Helix will be out stalking me.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Looks like perfect weather tomorrow. Why am I only digging out gear and ammo at 10:00 the night before? It’s a mystery. See y’all at the Humility Olympics! I have this feeling the Double Helix will be out stalking me.

Getting an early start, eh?

Good luck tomorrow! :gun3:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Thanks to the action shooting team for putting on a fun 3 gun, and arranging for perfect weather. Still only the second time for me, and learned some on-the-fly stuff that should have been long in my noob past., but that’s the whole point: fun, learn, blast, home, nap, review video, roll eyes, start looking at the calendar for next time. The Missus came along to find out what it was all about, and she’s getting the itch. She enjoyed talking to the the lady in our squad (a doctor, and no spring chicken, who did a great job!). Appreciate all the work that goes into making these happen, and for the record, I thought the round count and stage composition was pretty much the sweet spot.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks to the action shooting team for putting on a fun 3 gun, and arranging for perfect weather. Still only the second time for me, and learned some on-the-fly stuff that should have been long in my noob past., but that’s the whole point: fun, learn, blast, home, nap, review video, roll eyes, start looking at the calendar for next time. The Missus came along to find out what it was all about, and she’s getting the itch. She enjoyed talking to the the lady in our squad (a doctor, and no spring chicken, who did a great job!). Appreciate all the work that goes into making these happen, and for the record, I thought the round count and stage composition was pretty much the sweet spot.

Glad that you enjoyed yourself. Dr. Laura is a very classy lady who comes from WV to shoot with us. Not your stereotypical 3 Gun competitor for sure. Hopefully she was able to get Mrs. Occam to seriously consider shooting with us next time. We don't have enough women participating and it would be great to dig into that untapped market.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I watched her stitch up a fellow squaddie last time after he got a nice cut from some bullet spalling. Amazing bandaging job! She's legit!

100% agree more women would make this a better sport. Changes the vibe on the squad for the better. :)

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Glad that you enjoyed yourself. Dr. Laura is a very classy lady who comes from WV to shoot with us. Not your stereotypical 3 Gun competitor for sure. Hopefully she was able to get Mrs. Occam to seriously consider shooting with us next time. We don't have enough women participating and it would be great to dig into that untapped market.

Mrs Occam and the good Doctor have already swapped emails. Agreed she’s a unique and day-brightening character for sure. Mrs Occam needs some low pressure, off the clock 3-Gun simulation time so she can get the AR and shotgun logistics closer to muscle memory territory, and we’ll have her participating, I’m sure. She liked what she saw, especially the stroll-and-shoot stuff on stage one. A big part of the appeal is how friendly everyone is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom