Can you Shoot an AR Pistol in the Rifle Portion of a 3 Gun Completion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was wondering, can you shoot an AR pistol in the rifle portion of a 3 or 2 Gun completion?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There was a recent thread on this and the obvious answer was no. It is still illegal to shoulder a pistol brace. Theoretically, you could(without shouldering), but why would you? Still, I think you are not allowed.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I just read 3 gun nation rules. No mention of needing a stock. But they explicitly say pistols must be hostered and safe as the ready condition. Do you have an AR-15 holster?

Braces are forbidden in uspsa and idpa.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    There was a recent thread on this and the obvious answer was no. It is still illegal to shoulder a pistol brace. Theoretically, you could(without shouldering), but why would you? Still, I think you are not allowed.
    Illegal to shoulder a brace? Did ATF reverse themselves AGAIN?

Sent using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Illegal to shoulder a brace? Did ATF reverse themselves AGAIN?

Sent using Tapatalk
    To my understanding, and I'm not saying this is the law, their last opinion was something to the effect that 'it is not illegal for a pistol brace to inadvertently touch the shoulder in the process of firing'. I do not believe they came out and said it is okay to shoulder a brace as if it were a stock. There is a difference between the two.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    To my understanding, and I'm not saying this is the law, their last opinion was something to the effect that 'it is not illegal for a pistol brace to inadvertently touch the shoulder in the process of firing'. I do not believe they came out and said it is okay to shoulder a brace as if it were a stock. There is a difference between the two.
    I just looked up the language again. It's open to interpretation so I'll just let it ride there.

Sent using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just looked up the language again. It's open to interpretation so I'll just let it ride there.

Sent using Tapatalk

There should be a sticky on latest BATF opinions. It would make things easier for everyone.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Who could keep up as often as they change their mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a good point. Even if it were 100% OK to shoulder a pistol brace 100% of the time today, that could change next week.

On a related topic, I would like to see an all AR platform 3 gun. Regular rifle, buffer tube pistol with 8" barrel in a holster, and an AR shot gun. That would be fun :D

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My understanding is that they are going to allow hip holsters at the AGC action shooting, so ...

Attachments

• b02f026378436dc17ee17e32bf6fca74.jpg
      b02f026378436dc17ee17e32bf6fca74.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 211

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I was wondering, can you shoot an AR pistol in the rifle portion of a 3 or 2 Gun completion?
    I’ve done outlaw 2 gun matches where it was legal. I don’t think Thurmont cares, for instance. No idea on 3 gun. Guessing probably not if going with a bigger match.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I don’t think ANY competition will allow the use of an AR pistol for the pistol portion of the competition. You have to be able to safely draw from a holster which will never be the case with an AR pistol. Additionally, shooting pistol targets with a rifle caliber at short range is a huge no no. A pistol caliber at could solve the last issue.

There are probably competitions around that allow a braced AR pistol with a brace for PCC competitions. There may also be places around that don’t care if you use a braced AR pistol for the rifle stages. Not sure why you would want to though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom