• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    (I'm sure this was covered somewhere. I searched and found zilch)

I'm preparing for a trip to Chantilly in a couple weeks. Every time I'm there I check out the P-Mags GEN2 and compare them to the GEN3. I bought one GEN3 with the little window and have regretted it ever since. I never look at the little window and have had no issues with the GEN2 ones I have. Of course, the mags I have are less than a year old. Is there a case for more durability with the GEN3?

There are subtle differences but it doesn't seem worth while to spend 3 times the price for a mag with some extra bumps on the outside. Also, I have about 15 mags of which I have only used 5 of them in rotation. I don't do 3 gun so I'm not sure I need anymore.

Do most of you have the GEN3 and how many do you have? Do they last longer than its predecessor with repeated use?

Last edited:
    I have around 60 pmags a mix of 2 and 3 and have had no issues with either... I do think the 2s without the window probably are a bit more durable because I think the window is probably brittle plastic and more vulnerable to cracking however even if it did I think the mag would still function.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks. I think I'm just planning on buying them out of pure assumptive fear of what is coming next in this stupid state.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    From what I understand, the 3's are also supposed to more compatible with non-AR STANAG rifles. For example, some people discovered the 5.56 SCAR's and the 2's were not playing well (damaging the bolt.)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I feel the same way. Get the cheaper Pmags.

Check out those completely clear Lancer mags too

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have not had any issue with Gen2s or 3s in any of my 5 ARs.

With that said, don't spend more for Gen 3s, and if you never look at the window, don't get a window.

I found that I never look at the windows, just remove the mag and look. It's so easy on an AR it isn't even worth thinking twice about it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gen 3s can have problems in some AR lowers. The over insertion tab is the cause. They are one of the best PMags though. If you ever get your hands on M855A1 they will feed it like the enhanced USGI blue follower magazines do.

I have seen the Gen 3s hiccup in Noveske, KAC, and BCM Lowers. These subject lowers also failed my Magazine Well Gauge too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gen 3s can have problems in some AR lowers. The over insertion tab is the cause. They are one of the best PMags though. If you ever get your hands on M855A1 they will feed it like the enhanced USGI blue follower magazines do.

I have seen the Gen 3s hiccup in Noveske, KAC, and BCM Lowers. These subject lowers also failed my Magazine Well Gauge too.

I wish someone would drop m855a1/xm855a1 on the market.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    (I'm sure this was covered somewhere. I searched and found zilch)

I'm preparing for a trip to Chantilly in a couple weeks. Every time I'm there I check out the P-Mags V2 and compare them to the V3. I bought one V3 with the little window and have regretted it ever since. I never look at the little window and have had no issues with the V2 ones I have. Of course, the mags I have are less than a year old. Is there a case for more durability with the V3?

There are subtle differences but it doesn't seem worth while to spend 3 times the price for a mag with some extra bumps on the outside. Also, I have about 15 mags of which I have only used 5 of them in rotation. I don't do 3 gun so I'm not sure I need anymore.

Do most of you have the V3 and how many do you have? Do they last longer than its predecessor with repeated use?

Every time I go to the Chantilly show I buy at least 10 P-mags with or without window, which ever is being sold for $10 each. I think I have 50 30-round P-mags.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that is an overrun of M855, not M855A1. Going rate for M855A1 seems to be $3 a round on GunBroker.

Yeah, just XM855. Not that I wouldn’t mind some more M/XM855, but I’ve got 600, 700 rounds of it. I’d love a few hundred of the much newer M855a1. Also some M80a1.

Federal xm855 also doesn’t seem to shoot all that well out of my 16” and 20” ARs. About 3 MOA. IMI M855 is a little under 1 MOA out of my 20”, so that is mostly what I’ve been accumulating.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, for mags. I’ve got some ASC aluminum in 6.5 grendel and 5.56. A bunched or lancer warmags, 10, 20 and 30 round (3 of each I think?). And a ton of PMAGs. Maybe 3x10rnd, I think 4x20rnd and around 10 or 11x30rnd. The 10 and 20 round are gen3 and the 30s are all gen 2. Everything works great except the ASC 6.5 grenedel (a pair of 10 round and a 25 round). Those scratch my brass a lot. I need to take a stone to them to smooth the backside of the lips a little.

Otherwise nothing has caused issues, though NONE of the lancers can be inserted loaded to max capacity on a closed bolt. Everything else can be.

I’ve been feeling like I have plenty of mags, but I’ll probably pick up a few more /0 round PMAGs and a dozen or so 30 round and maybe call it quits then. I prefer the 20 round for bench shooting.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    This is from a email I got back in December from Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore that proclaims this “Magpul PMAG AR/M4 GEN M3 5.56mm 30-Round Sand Magazine
    Magpul PMAG GEN M3
    30-Round AR-15 Magazine
    Only $6.99
    Believe it or not, the Sand material in Magpul's GEN M3 AR/M4 PMAG is actually stronger than their black magazines.

In addition to its resilient physical properties, the color of the Sand material was chosen for another reason. It serves as a perfect foundation for water-based dye processes to change the color of the material or add camouflage patterns without adding surface thickness or scratching off with use.

This is by far the lowest price and best value we've ever offered in a Magpul GEN M3 AR-15 Magazine.”

Here’s a link to the sight
    http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...0817-1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=120817-1
    I know your trying to compare gen2 to gen3 but you could also compare the colors.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Every time I go to the Chantilly show I buy at least 10 P-mags with or without window, which ever is being sold for $10 each. I think I have 50 30-round P-mags.
    That's funny as I do the same thing. There is one table there who sells the GEN2 5 for just under $10 each. I bought one GEN3 in a not wanted color for cheap. Just to see the difference in performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom