• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    As a business owner I know its ok for me to carry at my retail store..........

What about my son or daughter that works with me, are they allowed to carry for protection also (with my permission) while in my store?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'll give the same advice I give to all my handgun students, consult with an attorney for your particular situation. There are liability and insurance implications that are unique to each business.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I would have assumed anyone who is an invited guest of a business or private property would be good to go. I have no problem with someone carrying at my home or business.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'll give the same advice I give to all my handgun students, consult with an attorney for your particular situation. There are liability and insurance implications that are unique to each business.

YES, good idea. Never a good idea to assume anything about gun laws ESPECIALLY in Maryland

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would have assumed anyone who is an invited guest of a business or private property would be good to go. I have no problem with someone carrying at my home or business.

Absurdly not. Maryland law allows no such thing for a handgun.

On YOUR property owned or leased. Between your property owned or leased. Hunting. Dog training. Range/target shooting. Gunsmith. Purchase or sale. As mentioned above if you are a supervisory employee for a business with owner permission and only inside effectively (consult deeper for exact guidelines for carrying at a business you do not own).

That is basically it.

I CANNOT give permission to my neighbor to carry on my property unless it fits in one of the above categories.

Long guns are under none of those restrictions.

Some people occasionally say it is okay to carry on someone else’s private property with their permission. The law specifically lays out carrying of a handgun is illegal in Maryland and then lays out the exceptions (W&C permit, law enforcement, military while official duties or the following exceptions, your own property, blah, blah, blah).

Someone else’s private property with the owner’s permission is NOT mentioned as an exception to “no handguns” in COMAR.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Oddly, ALL of those categories are taking place at any given time at my shop, target shooting outback, maybe someone working on a gun, etc.

I know this is MD but for fuxs sake, if I say someone can carry and shoot on my property....they can. Unless I'm confused about who pays the taxes on it..

GLR En

Aug 26, 2017
    I see where it says a supervisory employee with permission of owner may carry within the confines of the business. I didn't see where it said they had to be a paid employee, unless I overlooked it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oddly, ALL of those categories are taking place at any given time at my shop, target shooting outback, maybe someone working on a gun, etc.

I know this is MD but for fuxs sake, if I say someone can carry and shoot on my property....they can. Unless I'm confused about who pays the taxes on it..

Does that allow you to dispose of toxic waste on your property or murder someone on your property?

I hear you and I agree with the sentiment, but the law very much disagrees and being aware that it does is a good idea.

Depending on where you live a number of those activities couldn’t fly. In a county that doesn’t allow target shooting on your property? Not hunting season or not a safe zone possible on the property?

Also it says “gunsmith”. I doubt “your friend” is going to qualify for that under Maryland law unless they are certified.

Some of it comes down to what you do and the law doesn’t know or care about you are fine. But you should be aware that the activity does break the law. Lots of people text and drive knowing it breaks the law also.

If your buddy is there to actually shoot on your property then zero issues. If your buddy is there for a BBQ and he wants to show you his new 1911, the law very much is not okay with the fact that he brought the handgun there.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Not sure how dumping of toxic waste and committing murder are relevant as they both effect other/unrelated parties to my business and property.

"Target" shooting is 100% legal and fully permissible in my County, I'd actually bet it's done on private property literally 365 days a year actually. I know of two people with old gravel pits (private property of their own) who shoot something at least EVERY weekend, ...every week.

Guess some people like to be consumed with BS and constsntly worrying about a million statues and laws. A vast majority of the people I know live by a moral code where they don't infringe on others rights, liberty, ability to earn and safely raise a family.

Basically....ef the law when it includes trampling on private property rights. So long as I'm not causing problems for others,.... this is America.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Also humorous that a buddy can't transport a handgun to a house or business JUST to show it to someone. Have others here not also bought and sold dozens of guns where someone had to LOOK at them prior to doing an FFL/MSP transfer?

What world do some of you live in? Are you all constantly fearing government surveillance or something? Maybe I've been on the razors edge of the ATF crashing through my front window for decades now and I never even knew it??

Doubt that.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Basically....ef the law when it includes trampling on private property rights. So long as I'm not causing problems for others,.... this is America.

while i agree with your sentiment, you (we) should at least know the actual laws, and what happens if and when when you (we) get busted for breaking them or lightly skirting them.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Agreed. And, didn't want to sound combative about it.

It's just to the point in Maryland I think most people just simply say, "Oh,... is that what the law on that is",.... then calmly go about their lives/business giving zero fuchs. When the law is equally applied to dope fiends, pedophiles, thieves and politicians, then I'll start showing concern for them having the time and resources to bother messing with a regular Joe.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed. And, didn't want to sound combative about it.

It's just to the point in Maryland I think most people just simply say, "Oh,... is that what the law on that is",.... then calmly go about their lives/business giving zero fuchs. When the law is equally applied to dope fiends, pedophiles, thieves and politicians, then I'll start showing concern for them having the time and resources to bother messing with a regular Joe.

Sure and I agree with your feelings. But knowing what the actual law is, is also a darned good idea. If you get pulled over and are found to have a handgun on you saying you were target shooting at a buddies, that probably better be the truth or the officer might just investigate more and if the stories don’t match or there is no evidence (talks to a Neighbor who was home all day and didn’t hear shooting).

Yeah, you are probably pretty safe, but cops DO sometimes spend the time and resources going after your average above the board not doing anything to anyone guys.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Agreed on all points.

I'm one of the anointed ones, I can (could) carry freely in all situations we've discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom