• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    FYI
    Cabelas in DE will not sell any handguns that come with magazines holding more than ten rounds to Marylanders. They won't remove them and discard either.

But I can buy and walk out with all the hi caps I can carry from off the shelf.

I will use them for what I need but there is no love for Cabelas.

that makes negative 5 pounds of sense

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    just want to add... I know the OP has their heart set on new guns, but there are some great deals on gently used guns in the IP section. And, cash is king too. I have had nothing but good luck with used, some in my collection are older than me and still shoot better than me. Of course, if you are looking for the new hotness, in MD, then without a doubt are going to pay more. Supply and demand.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Not picking on the OP of this thread , rather that it would be educational for some of our members newer to the firearms world .

What is a * common firearm * ? Not in the Constitutional sense, but the ownership and commerce sense. Simplified , there are a crap load of them in ownership/ usage , usually been in popular circulation for a significant period of time , and lots of commerce in parts & accesories , be they some combination of OEM , OEM equivalents, or more unique aftermarket.

The firearms media ( paper publications , websites, etc ) focus much of their editorial content on things that are New ! or Substantially " Improved" ! Advertising payolla aside , the cummulative thinking is readers will purchase / click on the publication / site to find out about what's new and different . Usually with at least headline and cover blurbs using dramatic hyperbole .

I have no first hand experience with the APX good or bad . Anything that was a serious contender for US Mil service pistol trials is probably reasonably well made and designed , and doesn't totally suck .

But alas , it is not yet * common * May well become so in time , but for now is a new offering from major mfg , still awaiting a reaction from the marketplace .

Thanks and I believe you. I am very new to the gun hobby, and wanna start by having a pistol that's considered to be easy to use, dependable and good value. You are right that my impression of these guns being popular are largely shaped by gun website and youtube reviews, and I am not even looking at anything related to other gun types or vintage stuff, so my knowledge base is limited.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    just want to add... I know the OP has their heart set on new guns, but there are some great deals on gently used guns in the IP section. And, cash is king too. I have had nothing but good luck with used, some in my collection are older than me and still shoot better than me. Of course, if you are looking for the new hotness, in MD, then without a doubt are going to pay more. Supply and demand.

I'm not necessarily looking for new hotness, rather just new products that are good for a newbie, so if something goes wrong, there are fewer variables and I can point to what's wrong relatively easily.

This may be utter nonsense, but I imagine this is similar to to someone just getting into photography, he will likely get the advice to get a $100 vintage film SLR or an old rangefinder. They are very enjoyable to shoot, and the lack of automatic features really helps the user learn to control all aspects or an exposure, while the cost of film forces the shooter to stop before clicking and think about composition and such. Still, most new photo hobbyists choose a consumer or pro-sumer grade DSLR that's currently on the market as their first camera that cost more, and some of them will later venture onto the old cameras or medium/large format stuff, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The fact that Glocks, M&P'S, and XDm are easy to use, dependable , and good values are so well known , that it is old news , and boring .

The APX , and the P320 are the new kids on the block, and readers are still curious about them , wonder how well they will stack up to the above three once they've been in circulation a cpl years

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not necessarily looking for new hotness, rather just new products that are good for a newbie, so if something goes wrong, there are fewer variables and I can point to what's wrong relatively easily.

This may be utter nonsense, but I imagine this is similar to to someone just getting into photography, he will likely get the advice to get a $100 vintage film SLR or an old rangefinder. They are very enjoyable to shoot, and the lack of automatic features really helps the user learn to control all aspects or an exposure, while the cost of film forces the shooter to stop before clicking and think about composition and such. Still, most new photo hobbyists choose a consumer or pro-sumer grade DSLR that's currently on the market as their first camera that cost more, and some of them will later venture onto the old cameras or medium/large format stuff, etc.

Not quite...The #1 thing that impacts shooting enjoy-ability is hand-to-gun fit. The #1 thing that impacts reliability is mechanical function. Gun technology has in reality changed very little since 1911.

Many people discover that they really hate a small snappy gun. A full frame like the CZ 75 not only tames recoil and is more enjoyable, but the longer barrel makes it more accurate. Actually, my teenage daughter shoots revolvers much better than semis because you can get a better grip to tame recoil. She can shoot a 357 with no pain, whereas a 1911 causes a lot of bite. A small snappy 380 is a pain too. Newer is not better.

As for mechanical function, you want the 2.0 or 3.0 version not the 1.0 version rushed to market, not adequately tested as drop safe.

If you are not sure of the above, try before you buy. Lots of places offer nice rentals where you can experiment and see which fits you best.

The #1 variable that will go wrong is that the gun does not fit your hand, the gun has too much recoil, and/or you hate shooting it because of those things and you don't practice. Short barrels snappy guns are great for stuffing in a pocket, but you wont be doing that in MD. They are terrible for newbs.

sht4fun

Mar 19, 2017
    Not quite...The #1 thing that impacts shooting enjoy-ability is hand-to-gun fit. The #1 thing that impacts reliability is mechanical function. Gun technology has in reality changed very little since 1911.

Many people discover that they really hate a small snappy gun. A full frame like the CZ 75 not only tames recoil and is more enjoyable, but the longer barrel makes it more accurate. Actually, my teenage daughter shoots revolvers much better than semis because you can get a better grip to tame recoil. She can shoot a 357 with no pain, whereas a 1911 causes a lot of bite. A small snappy 380 is a pain too. Newer is not better.

As for mechanical function, you want the 2.0 or 3.0 version not the 1.0 version rushed to market, not adequately tested as drop safe.

If you are not sure of the above, try before you buy. Lots of places offer nice rentals where you can experiment and see which fits you best.

The #1 variable that will go wrong is that the gun does not fit your hand, the gun has too much recoil, and/or you hate shooting it because of those things and you don't practice. Short barrels snappy guns are great for stuffing in a pocket, but you wont be doing that in MD. They are terrible for newbs.

I just started getting into guns too this year. My first handgun purchase was a CZ 75SP01. I like this gun. I've bought a few other handguns and rifles this year, but I love shooting this CZ.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread in the water cooler section, but is probably one of the most truthful statements made on this entire forum.

Different guns work for different hands. A lot of "cool" guns don't work for every shooter.

Try before you buy and buyer beware.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread in the water cooler section, but is probably one of the most truthful statements made on this entire forum.

Different guns work for different hands. A lot of "cool" guns don't work for every shooter.

And also, the "purchases you have regretted" thread. :innocent0

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The op's "issue" is why I deal with local dealers rather than the online guys. Yes, I may save a few $$ with an online guy but he's likely not used to md's moronic laws and it will cost me a$$ pain in the long and and possibly even more $$.

Find a local dealer, if they don't treat you right then find another one who does and in turn you treat them right. Then, everyone will be happy and you'll still have a gun shop to visit in 10 years.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Very true. Fortunately a 1911 fits my hand like JMB came down from on high and put his gun in my hand himself and told me to rack the slide and have fun.

Well now that came out wrong. :lol2:

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    More jokes from the ill-informed. MD FFL's and MANUFACTURERS CAN ship mags out of state any time they wish; the issue would only be the Maryland buyer. The very simple solution is for the mags to be sent to another person out of state. His honor the high sheriff of nothingham, I mean the AG, has issue with MD buyers purchasing the mags, as it is his opinion that the MD buyers purchase the mags in MD.

YOUR problem remains convincing a chickenlittle FFL he is not breaking the law. Their policy can be their policy. Find an FFL who understands and is not afraid.

This came out 10/16/17 from MSP shooting down md ffls shipping to other states

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=215891&highlight=Magazine+ship

warreng

Feb 1, 2012
    AR-10

When I bought my AR-10 the mfg inserted a piece of plastic in the 20 rd mag that stopped the follower from moving down far enough to allow more than 10 rounds to be loaded. I took that piece out and it works just like a 20 rd mag now.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    When I bought my AR-10 the mfg inserted a piece of plastic in the 20 rd mag that stopped the follower from moving down far enough to allow more than 10 rounds to be loaded.

That piece should have been permanent (JB Weld) not temp.

maybe you want to delete the part where you illegally manufactured a banned magazine aided and abetted by a FFL.

Chinrednek

Jul 3, 2012
    MD law allows the FFL to receive the magazines, they just have to pin them or transfer the firearm without the violating magazine. But it's always up to the seller to do whatever they want. I brought ARs prior to the ban and sold them on consignment- I never took possession from my local FFL. The dealer eventually asked what I wanted to do with all the magazines. We ended up driving 1 mile to the PA border and he handed them to me and drove back to MD. All legal... stupid law.

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    Dumb question.. about legal mags..

So.. All this talk of how to get the gun with or without the mag, but are mags over 10 rds legal in MD as long as they're not bought in MD? How about mags I already owned before the law?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom