• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I don't think the 50 was the problem, I think the problem was taking a shot that he was not sure of. He could have hit the deer in the mouth and had it suffer greatly. If the shot was too far to hit the head, he should have waited for a better shot.

I'm not the best hunter in the world, or the best shot, but there is no reason for a hunter to be missing deer unless he is taking shots that he is not sure of. Every year I hear the same story, missed another one, wounded one and couldn't find it. Pass up a few shots and just take the best ones and the deer gets a more humane death, and you get the meat.

Maybe this is not for everyone but its the way I was taught and it has worked out good for me over the years.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't think the 50 was the problem, I think the problem was taking a shot that he was not sure of. He could have hit the deer in the mouth and had it suffer greatly. If the shot was too far to hit the head, he should have waited for a better shot.

I'm not the best hunter in the world, or the best shot, but there is no reason for a hunter to be missing deer unless he is taking shots that he is not sure of. Every year I hear the same story, missed another one, wounded one and couldn't find it. Pass up a few shots and just take the best ones and the deer gets a more humane death, and you get the meat.

Maybe this is not for everyone but its the way I was taught and it has worked out good for me over the years.

Your kidding right? Every hunter does not hit their target. Far from it. I guess you've never been bow hunting. Care to guess how many deer are never recovered? Be it bad shots or some super deer who will run 1/2 mile into the swamp. People do not always recover their deer.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I hear stories of hunters not checking their rifles at the beginning of the season after saying they missed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Life is full of uncertainty. If you run your life on sure bets alone, you aren't learning a thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Your kidding right? Every hunter does not hit their target. Far from it. I guess you've never been bow hunting. Care to guess how many deer are never recovered? Be it bad shots or some super deer who will run 1/2 mile into the swamp. People do not always recover their deer.
    Wurd up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Well said. Sometimes even a seemingly perfect shot ends up in no blood or hair, no blood trail to follow, and a lost deer. Deer are an amazingly resilient critter. You may have killed them but often times they have just enough adrenaline and lung capacity left over to get them just outta Dodge far enough where you can’t find them. Frustrating as hell, but it happens.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia

With all due respect Sir, every hunter SHOULD hit their target, or do every thing in their power to do so. Meaning don't take shots you are not sure of. I'm not saying one will not get away, but by only taking careful shots, you lesson the chance of a wounded deer.

No I have never been bow hunting, and never will. The reason is all the stories of wounded deer. After two or three hit and not found, one would think the hunter would use a little stronger weapon, like a gun. You can kill a deer with a 22, but try it enough times and you WILL lose deer.

I lost a deer once. It bothered me a lot. Since then I do everything I can to not let that happen again. I'm not down on hunters, just ones that do stupid things in the woods. I heard of a guy that borrowed a gun one time to deer hunt and never even shot the gun before. No common sense. All I'm saying is a humane shot is better than a freezer full of meat.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With all due respect Sir, every hunter SHOULD hit their target, or do every thing in their power to do so. Meaning don't take shots you are not sure of. I'm not saying one will not get away, but by only taking careful shots, you lesson the chance of a wounded deer.

No I have never been bow hunting, and never will. The reason is all the stories of wounded deer. After two or three hit and not found, one would think the hunter would use a little stronger weapon, like a gun. You can kill a deer with a 22, but try it enough times and you WILL lose deer.

I lost a deer once. It bothered me a lot. Since then I do everything I can to not let that happen again. I'm not down on hunters, just ones that do stupid things in the woods. I heard of a guy that borrowed a gun one time to deer hunt and never even shot the gun before. No common sense. All I'm saying is a humane shot is better than a freezer full of meat.

Its your story and I'm just a character.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, I guess we can now say you can use 50bmg to hunt deer. From the video it does seem like he hit something, maybe the mouth. I am skeptical it was just the pressure wave.

I have a pretty good idea what would have happened had he really hit the head. The head would be vaporized down to about the neck. There are some videos around if you really want to see graphic game management.

Don't try this on bucks.

I am going to say that it was not the shockwave. Looks to me that he hit something, just not the brain.

Agreed. If the pressure wave from it was that strong, the bullet would stop and fall to the ground after a few feet due to the drag forces on the bullet. He hit something on that deer no matter what he claims.

Built2Grind

Dec 9, 2017
    Eastern Shore
    I’ve shot deers legs off the first shot just to get one in em and then I follow it up by pumping their guts FULL OF LEAD! You don’t always get presented perfect broadside shots when hunting the east coast thickets

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Some of us Hunt with what we are allowed to hunt with when we are allowed to hunt with it. I’ve had one shot on deer with a crossbow. It died quickly. I suspect the day will come where I lose one. Seems like everyone who has been hunting for a few decades has at least one of those stories.

If we only took shots we were sure of we’d only hunt at 10 paces with a shotgun loaded with 000 buckshot.

I only take shots I am confident in. I’ve still missed clean or slightly missed my point of aim. Fortunately near as I can tell every deer I’ve hit also died quickly, even if the POI was a couple of inches off from where I thought it was going.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You talking to me about Tiny peckers but look who’s username starts with “5.56” you know what they say ... little gun little pecker

He's talking about the OP having a little dick.

He wasn't quoting you. You would have known if he was quoting you.

PS: Does damn 13ers apply to 17ers too?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You talking to me about Tiny peckers but look who’s username starts with “5.56” you know what they say ... little gun little pecker

What iH8DemLibs said. But also, I think you have that backwards. Otherwise it wouldn’t be called compensating.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I only shoot 10 pt bucks or bigger. I never lost a deer. I never missed. Hunters never lie either.

The biggest projectile I've ever killed a deer with was a 52.5 million grain hunk of alloy going about 20 fps. Deer kept going, the projectile not so much.

In MD I say put em all down by any means necessary. Well, not all but a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom