• ...and so much more!
  • rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    -----Original Message-----
    From: "William J Rasinski -State Police-" <william.rasinski@maryland.gov>
    Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:26pm

Please view the attached document reference changes made by the Motor Vehicle Administration.

As many of you may be aware Maryland Driver's Licenses contain restrictions. The MVA has three restrictions that directly deal with residency. These restrictions are "T", "U" and "A".
    The restrictions "T" and "U" have been in use since June 1, 2009.
    The "T" restriction on the License denotes that the License is only valid for a limited term. This length of time is based on the License holder's lawful status.
    example: seasonal employees.
    The "U" restriction on the License denotes that the License is "Not Acceptable For Federal Purposes".
    example: When the federal government requests a form of identification this license will not meet those requirements.

New Restriction!!!!

The "A" restriction is new, and is used to denote that this license may not be used as a form of identification for the purchase of a firearm. Please be aware that this restriction will begin to appear on or after January 1, 2014. Licenses with this restriction can not be used for any reason, when purchasing a firearm.

If you have any questions reference these restriction please feel free to contact us at msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov or 410-653-4621

Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division Services
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208
    Office - 410-653-4621

Attachments

• MSP.Licensing MVA Drivers License.pdf
      115.3 KB · Views: 356

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    So what the hell does that mean? I can't use my DL to make a cash and carry long gun purchase? Seems to be, but can't be. Must be intended as means to identify convicted felons, domestic violence violators and the like that have forfeited their rights to any firearm. Or those working here under temporary visas? If it said not to purchase a "handgun" that might be more understandable, because you now need an HQL, and even for out of state handgun purchases you need to run them through an in state FFL, where you would produce your HQL. Of course I am not a C&R guy, but this could have implications for them? This has gotten totally out of control and is only getting worse.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Maybe this is for the illegal alien drivers licenses.

(Oops, I meant to say "New Americans"!)

Yep, likely this since the article about immigrants and DL's was in the Sun this am. I wouldn't get my panties in a was quite yet.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Seems to me it's (ostensibly) intended to flag prohibited persons.

But, it raises a couple questions for me...

How is MVA getting this information?
    How is this information being vetted?
    What recourse will there be for individuals who get this restriction in error?
    Will this be announced to the public as something to be looking for?
    What standards will be applied to this restriction, and for what conditions?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

see the flip side..

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Why does MVA NEED this information and why does it have to be noted on a drivers license (that you have to show for all kinds of things, well, except for voting, of course). Talk about a violation of privacy. Heck why don't they just make them wear an "A" around town?

Won't a NICS check (that is done for every purchase) reveal this fact?

They wanna give illegals drivers licenses and use a notation, for heavens sakes, make the restriction indicate that fact. Oh, that's right...

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Like a person selling guns out of the trunk of their car is going to ask for ID anyway.

I wonder how having this would apply to purchasing firearms out of state?

Dec 6, 2011
    This is designed for illegals that present foreign documents. The reason for the restrictions is so MVA can continue it's liberal paper mill and yet not risk making ALL Maryland IDs invalid for federal purposes....and under the old system, that was a possibility.

The second significant change is that holders of U licenses will not receive their license at the MVA. Instead, it will be mailed so that the address given will have to match a physical delivery address.

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    Like a person selling guns out of the trunk of their car is going to ask for ID anyway.

I wonder how having this would apply to purchasing firearms out of state?

. . . another reason for dealers - individuals to not sell to anyone from Maryland

:mad54:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, if someone has an "A" restriction but possess a HQL....
    Are the qualifiers for an "A" restriction the same as the disqualifiers for an HQL?
    :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom