• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Still no word. Was on hold for 25 minutes today before I had to give up for today.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    THIS IS MY FIRST POST

First, let me say thanks to all posters on this thread. This is the most informative and mature discussion on this subject, on the web. I moved to the District more than 25 years ago, baught my home good job, semi- retired. I like my neighborhood (20019), its gentrifying and changing. I don't vote because I don't trust politician. I go to jury duty (DC and Fed and Grand Jury) every two years, but I dont trust the judicial system to be just. I have some liberal views, but am mostly conservative, when it comes to personal rights and responsibilities. If you see me one the street, my image could look like some of the targets for sale at the gun range, thats why i wont shoot at pictures. Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself.

This week I passed 90 days. I went downtown to check.. not yet ready, could be a couple weeks. I grumbled and complained. An officer pulled me outside where we could talk. She explained, that they are still working on October apps. Because some previous apps already cleared NICS they dont show up in the FBI numbers. there are processing about 1000 packages. She is on loan from anotheroffice to help with the workload. She found my packed, I was able to speak with the Leutenant. They needed one item of information from me. I was able to give them my training certificates. I expect they'll mail my certificate in a few weeks. I already knew, but better realized that this is a political imposition on the Mayor, Council and Chief. The bureaucrats did not adequately staff for the demand, and the few who do the actual work are overwhealmed and doing the best they can.

To those who did, thanks for winning the fight to this point. Maryland is next.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD is not next. MD won the fight at the 4CA. We have no recourse but to wait on a circuit split from other districts to get to SCOTUS.

Then we might have a slim chance.

Thems the facts.

And welcome. Go introduce yourself over in the Introductios forum.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    HUNDREDS APPLY

Grace was told that the new review process still would take about 90 days to determine whether his permit will be approved.
    He — and Wrenn — are still waiting.
    :sad20:

Last edited:

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Grace was told that the new review process still would take about 90 days to determine whether his permit will be approved.
    He — and Wrenn — are still waiting.
    :sad20:

Well that answers my question. At least that means SAF is monitoring the District's shenanigans.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Their continuing argument that more concealed carry leads to more crime involving guns has no basis. Concealed carry has had massive expansion in the last 25 years in the US, and there has not been an increase in crimes involving guns.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm not going to register to read the Washington Compost. maybe someone can summarize.

I put the Post in my cat's litter box. He refused to use it.

Asked him why.

He said "It would be redundant."

Smart cat.

Wrenn and Grace are still waiting. Makes anyone here noting the wait less remarkable.

> someone beat me to that, but I can't delete..

Well that answers my question. At least that means SAF is monitoring the District's shenanigans.

Not sure how that means SAF is monitoring.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Their continuing argument that more concealed carry leads to more crime involving guns has no basis. Concealed carry has had massive expansion in the last 25 years in the US, and there has not been an increase in crimes involving guns.
    DC used that argument in court and LOST

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Wrenn is Gura’s client. I would hope my legal council would be monitoring what I sued and eventually one a lawsuit for (the permit).

Gura may be, but you first cited SAF. If Gura is, doesn't appear the wait is remarkable yet.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    This posted on Facebook by George Lyon....

"Time line for DC to act on applications.

Some of you have advised that DC is telling applicants that it is a minimum of 90 days to process Concealed Pistol License Applications. That is not what the regulation says. The regulations actually say:

2339.1 The Chief shall issue a preliminary approval to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the application within a reasonable time after receiving an application containing all required supporting documents, with the exception of proof of completion of the firearms training requirements. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing.

2340.1 The Chief shall issue a license to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the application within a reasonable time after receiving a completed application. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing.

2340.2 A completed application shall satisfy all the requirements prescribed by the Chief including evidence that applicant has satisfied the firearms training requirements in § 2336.

So if you have gone more than 90 days and have not received in writing a notification of good cause for an extension, you ought to be complaining to the gun control section, and/or higher ups that MPD is not following it own regulation."

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This posted on Facebook by George Lyon....

"Time line for DC to act on applications.

Some of you have advised that DC is telling applicants that it is a minimum of 90 days to process Concealed Pistol License Applications. That is not what the regulation says. The regulations actually say:

2339.1 The Chief shall issue a preliminary approval to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the application within a reasonable time after receiving an application containing all required supporting documents, with the exception of proof of completion of the firearms training requirements. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing.

2340.1 The Chief shall issue a license to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the application within a reasonable time after receiving a completed application. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing.

2340.2 A completed application shall satisfy all the requirements prescribed by the Chief including evidence that applicant has satisfied the firearms training requirements in § 2336.

So if you have gone more than 90 days and have not received in writing a notification of good cause for an extension, you ought to be complaining to the gun control section, and/or higher ups that MPD is not following it own regulation."

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Problem is, there is a word between "shall" and "be" in that 90 day declaration; normally
    Reading too that some are getting that the 90 days is now being spun as "working days"

Now if every congressman and senator had applied, which is a bit over 600 people, why do I believe all their permits would have been out in weeks, if not days.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I submitted my application within the last few days. I was impressed at just how smooth the process was. MSP LD should take a lesson or two from DCMP. That said, I was advised first hand that “it’s taking the full 90 days, maybe a little more,” to get the applications processed and permits issued. Didn’t sound like the delay was excessive, but rather a warning not to expect a permit early. Not disputing the regulation, just reporting facts.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Even if that argument is true -- and it is not-- that is an argument that is rationing of rights. one could say prove Miranda, strict search warrant requirements, and evidentiary exclusions, and forbidding double jeopardy leads to more crime and then as a result say only a certain number of people should be allowed to exercise those rights, since their excersie increases crime.

It is precisely DC making that argument in earlier cases that made their case the one may issue case the gun control advocates realized would be the harder to defend.

On the issue of 90 days being asserted to some as possibly meaning 90 business days, there is PLENTY of case law making it clear that if you don't explicitly write "business days" in regulations or contracts, "90 days" is just that, 90 total days, and is NOT business days.

The delays are clearly artificial and effectively a waiting period, not a verification period. The main bulk of time and personnel on "investigation" would be verification of good cause. That is gone. There is nothing remaining that would take more than a couple of days. The entire process can't legitimately be asserted to take more than 30 days.

That said, as far as the police officers and personnel at the firearms office, I don't blame them for the delays. they have always been professional, polite and courteous with me. I think what we are seeing is clearly a defacto artificial 90 day waiting period -- but imposed from above.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP took the liberty of giving themselves 90 business days to process apps when the statute clearly says 90 days. The bureaucratic game playing by these agencies just shows their contempt for laws they don’t agree with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom