• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juche90

May 10, 2014
    While we are discussing 80% Frames....
    Stealth Arms sells an anodized frame. Would it be better to go with the anodized right out the gate or bead blasted and coat later? Also would the gig mark up the anodized frame? If you go with bead blasted frame would you coat before you began completing or after or at all. Been looking at the project for a while and wondering about coating the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Anodizing is a coating. So when finishing the 80% you are removing the protective coating. Depending on specific area “guide rail...etc” and amount of use to life expectancy you would probably like to protect the freshly exposed aluminum to increase longevity of the frame.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The jig will mess up the coating (if you're clumsey like I am), plus the FCG pocket will be bare metal. Probably better to anodize it later. Although it is an extra step.

For OP, the polymer80 glock 80% frames are even easier to complete than AR15 lowers. The videos show use of an endmill, but a simple hand file will give much better control when finishing. The complete upper slide and parts kits are readily available. Looks to be about $600 for complete glone 19.

No HQL, no 7 day wait (except for delivery of parts kits), no registration - that varies by state. I know Hawaii allows 80% builds, but it must be registered when complete.

I'll add in the obligatory disclaimer: you may make your own firearms only if you are not prohibited from possession. You must not make with the intent to sell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    While we are discussing 80% Frames....
    Stealth Arms sells an anodized frame. Would it be better to go with the anodized right out the gate or bead blasted and coat later? Also would the gig mark up the anodized frame? If you go with bead blasted frame would you coat before you began completing or after or at all. Been looking at the project for a while and wondering about coating the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've built a Stealth Arms 1911. I did not get the anodized frame. I do believe it is highly likely that it would get scratched while using the jig. I have not coated mine yet but that is on my to do list.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The jig will mess up the coating (if you're clumsey like I am), plus the FCG pocket will be bare metal. Probably better to anodize it later. Although it is an extra step.

For OP, the polymer80 glock 80% frames are even easier to complete than AR15 lowers. The videos show use of an endmill, but a simple hand file will give much better control when finishing. The complete upper slide and parts kits are readily available. Looks to be about $600 for complete glone 19.

No HQL, no 7 day wait (except for delivery of parts kits), no registration - that varies by state. I know Hawaii allows 80% builds, but it must be registered when complete.

I'll add in the obligatory disclaimer: you may make your own firearms only if you are not prohibited from possession. You must not make with the intent to sell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

California has joined the ranks of regulating 80%'s. I think they have to be registered and have a serial number applied out there.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Jesus. This is not secret squirrel stuff. Get a grip. New members are a good thing. Repeat after me “I’m SWO Daddy, and I’m a battered gun owner”.

Yeah, the paranoia runs deep here before the session. Same every year.

It might be my imagination, but it seems like we are gaining members faster than most years after a lull last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom