• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    So this fall my son starts Elementary School. We live in a district that has a school that I am not crazy about due to plummeting test scores, and opinions from other county teachers about the staff.

Within 10 miles of our house are about 6 other Elementary schools, 4 of which are apparently not full to capacity. My original plan was to use my Mom's address (who is their daycare provider) to get him in to another school. Well, I was told that that school is "closed" and not accepting out of area transfers.

I've heard people telling me to say I'm separated from my wife and living with my parents and have some bills sent there to use as an excuse...but that seems an awful lot like fraud.

My question is, besides moving, or private school, does anyone know what my options are here? Do I have options?

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    In Harford you used to be able to get an exception due to daycare. Bus would pick up and drop off kids at daycare provider. Try pushing that issue.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    In Harford you used to be able to get an exception due to daycare. Bus would pick up and drop off kids at daycare provider. Try pushing that issue.

We are going to try and use that excuse. Like I said, my mom is their daycare provider, but her school is way over capacity so they told me no new admissions. We have a friend willing to say she is the daycare provider within a district that we would like to go to and is open, but not sure if that's going to work, hope so.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Both of my children are out of area transfers in AA county. If you haven't already-talk to the principal of the school(s) you're interested in and see if they'll work with you.
    We were told by a friendly principal you are always turned down the first time-at every step of the process. This was spot on info. We had to reapply and appeal at every step along the way.

Two things to keep in mind as out of area transfers in AA county
    -Your child may NOT ride a school bus to/from the school (even from a daycare facility). They must be picked up and dropped off. They may attend before/after school care at the school if it has that option (company is Open Door).

-You will have to re-apply for the out of area transfer EACH year-for each child.

Feel free to PM with any questions and I'll be happy to relate our seven years of ongoing battles.

I will end it by saying the effort has been totally worth it.

Both of my children are out of area transfers in AA county. If you haven't already-talk to the principal of the school(s) you're interested in and see if they'll work with you.
    We were told by a friendly principal you are always turned down the first time-at every step of the process. This was spot on info. We had to reapply and appeal at every step along the way.

Two things to keep in mind as out of area transfers in AA county
    -Your child may NOT ride a school bus to/from the school (even from a daycare facility). They must be picked up and dropped off. They may attend before/after school care at the school if it has that option (company is Open Door).

-You will have to re-apply for the out of area transfer EACH year-for each child.

Feel free to PM with any questions and I'll be happy to relate our seven years of ongoing battles.

I will end it by saying the effort has been totally worth it.

We did this for about year,IIRC drop-off was 0700 and pick-up was 1800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom