Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 7th, 2019, 03:09 PM #21

Shoot them in a blowback like a Sub2k or HiPoint carbine. They'll run just fine and won't cause any issues.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2019, 03:24 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
Shoot them in a blowback like a Sub2k or HiPoint carbine. They'll run just fine and won't cause any issues.
I don't own either. Besides, i have a rule about shooting other people's reloads. If I don't know you, I don't shoot your reloads. I saw first hand what happens when someone doesn't pay attention. luckily the guy shooting only came away with a few bits of shrapnel in the heal of his hand. He bought reloads from someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Any "Buy Back fines" will be paid for in lead.....
Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 11:44 AM #23
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlasarmory View Post
Probably been discussed before but I wonder if vacuum chamber would pull a bullet. I have Vac pump and canisters I use to de-gas urethane and find myself wondering if you were able to do it fast enough using a very small canister if it would work. or if the pressure in the case would equalize too quickly given the relatively small air volume remaining in a loaded cartridge. I should probably just google it
I think the primer would back out before the bullet. The pressure inside the case pushes equally in all directions and the mass of the bullet is much greater than the mass of the primer.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 12:01 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoBill View Post

You do realize you can do the same thing with a pair of pliers...
I have a collet puller and have used pliers on the Iranian 8MM I have lots of. RCBS collet puller slips most of the time and right now takes more time than the kinetic. Pliers leaves marks. I have to beat it pretty hard with the kinetic right now and its loud as hell.

I also have some Czech training ammo I want to pull and mess around with. Its so light, kenetic does not work and the crimp is also so hard the RCBS won't hold onto it.

I dont' mind paying the $ for this.
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 01:06 PM #25

Observation #1 - Different bullets of same weight and general shape will have different nose shapes , ie some are pointier, some are more hemispherical . The important factor is how far the base protrudes into the case , the OAL is an indirect indication , unless you are using the exact same bullet .

Observation #2 - 3.8gr Universal is a Start Load ( per Hogdon ) with pressure of only 26,300 psi ( with SAAMI level of 35K ) .

OK , I get it , some people categorically will only shoot ammo they personally loaded . But since I percieve an implication that the level of confidence was sufficient to consider shooting it , I'd look at little further .

Spot check enough rounds to see if the charge is consistently 3.8gr .

Using a gun rated for at least occasional +P , I'd feel enough margin to fire a test round .

If no visable pressure signs , case head expansion in normal range , and velocity in expected ballpark , I'd probably shoot it .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 01:44 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
I think the primer would back out before the bullet. The pressure inside the case pushes equally in all directions and the mass of the bullet is much greater than the mass of the primer.
Interesting. Considerably less surface friction on the primer as well. Primers would likely pop first.
Old November 8th, 2019, 02:11 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Observation #1 - Different bullets of same weight and general shape will have different nose shapes , ie some are pointier, some are more hemispherical . The important factor is how far the base protrudes into the case , the OAL is an indirect indication , unless you are using the exact same bullet .

Observation #2 - 3.8gr Universal is a Start Load ( per Hogdon ) with pressure of only 26,300 psi ( with SAAMI level of 35K ) .

OK , I get it , some people categorically will only shoot ammo they personally loaded . But since I percieve an implication that the level of confidence was sufficient to consider shooting it , I'd look at little further .

Spot check enough rounds to see if the charge is consistently 3.8gr .

Using a gun rated for at least occasional +P , I'd feel enough margin to fire a test round .

If no visable pressure signs , case head expansion in normal range , and velocity in expected ballpark , I'd probably shoot it .
26300 when set for an overall cartridge length of 1.15 in. I did some research before I post it this thread and it looks like the pressure increases greatly with just a slight decrease in overall length. 1 reloading forum that I went to for research said that with a decrease of just one eighth of an inch the pressure goes from 27 300 to almost 63000 PSI.. that seems extreme but I'm not willing to take a chance on damaging my firearms let alone damaging my hands. I make my living with my hands. I ordered the horn day bullet puller and Colette for 9 mm. I'm going to see how it works. If I don't like the results I'll just use the kinetic puller and do a few here and there until they're all done. It's not like I'm hurting for 9 mm ammunition. I've reloaded several thousand over the last few months and still have about 10,000 cleaned cases ready to be reloaded

Any "Buy Back fines" will be paid for in lead.....
Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 02:48 PM #28

For you guys who pull military bullets, if you press the bullet into the case first, it will pull easier using a kinetic puller. The reason for this is that many military bullets have a sealant applied to the bullet. If you don't break the seal, you may break your kinetic puller before the bullet comes out.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM #29
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
I don't own either. Besides, i have a rule about shooting other people's reloads. If I don't know you, I don't shoot your reloads. I saw first hand what happens when someone doesn't pay attention. luckily the guy shooting only came away with a few bits of shrapnel in the heal of his hand. He bought reloads from someone who didn't know what they were doing.
That's a wise decision, IMO. No reason to take the chance.

You could try using pliers, first padding the jaws with thin felt or thick cloth to prevent marring the jacket. Just a thought...

Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA WWNC
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:33 PM #30

I used to shoot a lot of 303 brass in 30/40 rifles and the brass was always short. I would strip the cartridges and check chamber fit but if your not sure of the loaders competence and cant ID the powder/charge your probably better off pulling them.
If pre-op checks seemed OK and cartridge fit was ok I would probably just shoot them.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading