How oes the '2 guns at once then wait 60 days' thing work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    preface: I am not a designated collector, nor do I ever anticipate needing to be one after this one time thing

contemplating purchase of 2 handguns on consignment at the same shop. I know there is a rule that says I can do 2 then wait 60 days, but I have never taken advantage of it. Does anyone know how it works? it is as simple as filling out both sets of paperwork at the same time. or is there more to it than that?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It really is that easy. It is meant to allow you to take advantage of good deals.

Your FFL will walk you through the process

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You can do as many as you like as long as you wait 30 days in between. Your FFL can walk you through the process. The problem for most FFLS is having to keep the firearm in his/her safe for thirty days.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The FFL should be able to make it happen, but...

Designated Collector costs a stamp, envelope and notary (free at many banks), and takes a lot less than 30 days to complete...just sayin' :innocent0

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The FFL should be able to make it happen, but...

Designated Collector costs a stamp, envelope and notary (free at many banks), and takes a lot less than 30 days to complete...just sayin' :innocent0

Yep! That simple and cheap.
    You don't even have to present anything when you purchase two pistols. Just mark the Designated Collector box and the MSP check it when they do the background check.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Yep! That simple and cheap.
    You don't even have to present anything when you purchase two pistols. Just mark the Designated Collector box and the MSP check it when they do the background check.

With the new online application, you don't even have to do that. Your status is already in their system.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC is free. Why wouldn't you for the cost of a stamp and a notary (usually free at your bank.

attached

Attachments

• Collector Application Affidavit.pdf
      37.6 KB · Views: 103

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    While you wait, fill out the designated collector affidavit and never wait again.

You can buy regulated firearms by the dump truck load.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Both regulated firearms must be written up on the same paperwork (not sure but I think you can submit up to four weapons total on one form). You wait 7 days, they’re both yours. Then 30 days wait per weapon, allowed two max - so 60 days. Way quicker to get your Collectors Status, very simple to do (detrimental to your wallet though.....). Good luck.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just like above stated. You go to your LGS, buy 2 guns and you cannot buy another gun(or 2) for 60 days after. Not hard at all.

I got my DC letter but I don't have enough money to be able to buy "Multiples of guns" at one time, so it's not a waste for me, but has never been a benefit.
    Actually, it makes it worse since on the paperwork asks if you are a designated collector and the FFL likes/needs(not sure if this is MSP"law") to have a copy of it. Which this makes zero ******** sense to me if I am only purchasing 1 single pistol.

People like to get one "just because". They think it makes a nice addition to their forum signature line. So next time you buy a regulated firearm, fill the 1 page form out and the shop will send it in for you and a week later you get your letter. Then you will have it for the next time you cannot afford to buy more than 2 pistols at a time. :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The FFL is not required by law to see your DC letter. MSP checks that when your application is received.

Having said that, I have seen a post or two over the years saying the FFL wanted to see it. I never have been asked.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    thanks everyone. I ended up contacting MSP licensing div with the question, and AlBeight and Blaster are 100% correct above. Easy enuf. I am NOT going for DC... never before have even thought about more than 1 per month (typically one per YEAR or less for me), and most likely never again have any need for more than that...

Just that 2 on consignment at United right now that are both on my bucket list, so it's a one time thing. I am getting to the age where I need to stop buying and start selling, but I can't bring myself to do that just yet...lol.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    thanks everyone. I ended up contacting MSP licensing div with the question, and AlBeight and Blaster are 100% correct above. Easy enuf. I am NOT going for DC... never before have even thought about more than 1 per month (typically one per YEAR or less for me), and most likely never again have any need for more than that...

Just that 2 on consignment at United right now that are both on my bucket list, so it's a one time thing. I am getting to the age where I need to stop buying and start selling, but I can't bring myself to do that just yet...lol.

Have to buy One a month. Its the Law in Maryland. That is how the Mrs understands it.:party29:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Murphy's Law - Even if you only purchase two handguns per decade, the second one will be on bucket list , in excellent condition, and priced half of market value, three days after starting process on the first .

While Dealers do not require a copy of DC Letter , in the great backlog of 2013 , many dealers did use possession of a DCL as a data point in deciding to do an on time Release vs waiting 4 months for the eventual Not Disapproved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom