How about working to eliminate the waiting period?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    With the implementation of the HQL, would it make sense that we could potentially pick a battle to get rid of the 7 day waiting period for regulated firearms? As I originally remember it, it was initially done to allow mailing time between MSP and FFL. Then as data became computerized, it morphed into a 'cooling off' period (I could be wrong about this but that's how I remember it). I think an argument could be made that the HQL does this but then again, this IS Maryland we are talking about, so prolly not.

Better to spend the time and energy getting more 2A supporters elected to the GA so more meaningful things can be accomplished. If there were enough supporters even Mike and Mike couldn't stop us.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    From what I understand, they are now using the additional checks and waiting periods essentially as a "check-up" to ensure that the person purchasing a handgun hasn't become ineligible since the last time he/she purchased one. BS argument meant to just screw with gun owners, but an argument that will likely hold up in our wonderful courts system.

More than the waiting period, I would like to see the one hand gun per 30 days restriction removed. Now I haven't purchased or had the need to purchase multiple handguns at the same time. But if I choose to I should be able to. I know the reasoning is to limit the effect of straw purchases, but still BS in my book.

I would let them keep doing those checks. Instead of eliminating the waiting period, have it coincide with the completion of the check. Since the purpose of the 7day wait was to give them time which is not longer necessary, change it to 7 days OR when the "not disapproval" comes back.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I would let them keep doing those checks. Instead of eliminating the waiting period, have it coincide with the completion of the check. Since the purpose of the 7day wait was to give them time which is not longer necessary, change it to 7 days OR when the "not disapproval" comes back.

With the new 77e electronic form and hopeful faster processing this would make sense.

Because it makes sense it would be easier and cost less on all ends, they definitely will not do it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    When an LEO in uniform with a gun on their hip also had to wait you know things make no sense.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The HQL was put in place to make the waiting period longer...there is no way Assapolis is going to remove the waiting period...i'm surprised it's not a lot longer..

I agree. It remains a fashionable #CommonSenseBullshit bauble that Liberals and Progressives love. As long as there is mass media it will remain in effect.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The 77e should, should, also nearly instantly clear MD citizens for same day possession, esp for those already in possession of a handgun. It could be done if the object of MD law was public safety and not curtailment of liberty & rights

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    The 77e should, should, also nearly instantly clear MD citizens for same day possession, esp for those already in possession of a handgun. It could be done if the object of MD law was public safety and not curtailment of liberty & rights

:party29:

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    No disrespect to our LEOs here, but I would agree with that statement. Everyone should be equal under the law. Now that being said, nobody who is legally able to purchase a firearm should have to wait at all once their NICS clears.
    agreed and...
    agreed again. there's no "cooling down" purpose if i already own handguns.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Or if states were forced to report to NICS, and NICS was used exclusively to clear for purchase in every state. A valid CC permit should be instant approval without NICS.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Or if states were forced to report to NICS, and NICS was used exclusively to clear for purchase in every state. A valid CC permit should be instant approval without NICS.

Would work perfect if logic and law intersected in Maryland

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Would say that should go without saying... But then again, sure many have tried

The Designated Collector status seems to be granted automatically to anyone who asks for it. For a while years ago they refused some people who didn't own a single handgun, but it's pretty much as automatic thing.

Some have suggested that we will get special treatment at the Reeducation Camps. First batch rounded up gets first choice on bunks, etc.

Just get your DC. I think a very high percentage of us are DCs.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    If the wait time is really a "cool down" period as it was designed to be, I never understood the point of implementing it on a second, third, or 99th gun purchase. If the buyer already owns a legal regulated firearm, what good is a cool-down period? Silly question, I know.

Most likely to buy the perfect Wack the Beeatch type gun. But I would be hard pressed to find any person who already owns guns that goes and buys one for this "special purpose" yeah the law is lame as is most firearms laws are here in Maryland.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Designated Collector status seems to be granted automatically to anyone who asks for it. For a while years ago they refused some people who didn't own a single handgun, but it's pretty much as automatic thing.

Some have suggested that we will get special treatment at the Reeducation Camps. First batch rounded up gets first choice on bunks, etc.

Just get your DC. I think a very high percentage of us are DCs.

Last I heard is, they will not approve unless you have at least one handgun. But will hold the application until you do this, and you can call and they will approve.

I have not heard on anyone who was able to purchase a handgun, not getting their DC.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I sent in my designated collector paperwork and it took about a month to get back. It's great to be able to buy however many guns you want, but still stupid to have a waiting period. Even on police there is a waiting period. Tell me the logic there. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom