B5 SOPMOD, LMT SOPMOD, Gen 1? Gen 2? Bravo? Contract Versions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Wanted to grab a SOPMOD stock as a part of a semi M4A1 build i’ve got going on. I see a lot of variations and hopefully someone can clarify.

From what I understand LMT and B5 were both contracted by the us gov to produce these SOPMOD stocks for mil. LMT’s is more expensive while B5 is cheaper, but still the essentially the same. I see these (Gen 1?) B5 stocks in blue contract bags being sold for $40-60 and hear these are decent but have fitment issues (being very tight on some buffers) and I guess were old surplus/early versions. I see that you can buy newer B5’s without contractor bag for $70-90. I guess these are considered to be the Gen 2 with the fitment issues worked out?

I also see B5 produces a “Bravo SOPMOD” without the battery holder tubes on the sides?

Of course LMT sells the similar stock for nearly $200.

So what i’m getting at here is which one I should go with. I really can’t see myself spending $200 on a buttstock, so that kinda rules out LMT. I am however caught between grabbing a cheaper contract version B5 or a newer B5. Does anyone know if there are really any differences between the two? Thanks all!

Rifle in question that the stock will go on is my Colt LE6920HBPW with the mil spec 4(?) position buffer.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have the gen 2 B5 on my Colt. The fit is nice and snug and it does not wiggle around. It still slides but not easily which is ok with me. It is by far the most comfortable cheek weld I have had in a stock so far and I have tried a lot of them. I love that stock. My advice is try one out. I had a gen 1 for a while and sold it off because of the lack of the QD mounting. Not that I use it but wanted the newer mounting anyway.

I also had the enhanced or SOPMOD stock without the battery tubes. I didn’t care for that one much. Be careful on eBay, some of the ones on there are airsoft or something and not made by B5 or LMT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom