• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    catch a fawn about to be weened, train it like a dog and when it goes into cycle tie her to a try close to your stand?

not politically correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Stay away from big burly mature looking decoys. They can scare some deer. Especially if your deer tend to be on the scrawnier side. If you're looking for the biggest buck in the forest, then maybe go for big decoys. It's like the rule on rattling.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get a bedded doe. Use it during the rut. Half size flat black or dark gray silhouettes will work near a field edge, heads down like they're feeding. Set them up so they cast a shadow opposite the way you expect a deer to come from. You be on the other side sun to your back with rifle or bow. This is where you have to watch your scent, and know your digs. Aim them away from same way the prevailing wind is coming from. Good deer in open habitat feed with the wind approaching from the rear most of the time. Surrounding pressure will dictate how much and what time. Hard cold wind in their face will make them head the other way unless it gets well past dark time.
    If your in the woods and its thick, just put a small piece of white tissue paper in between some thick, ass high bushes. Just so it flits around a little bit. Rattle some horns and watch a transition area where some deer duck in and out through a little hole and be in position to shoot it. Like where a cut over meets a timber line. Not a beat up doe trail but near one so you can shoot both the hole and the trail at the same time.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    This one works well...

0333304b-afc7-4faa-bad9-416c5a5db2e6_1.5311721f0fc03df96c08557529df5ed4.jpeg

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am not a hunter , but I think the kiddie petting zoo's have what the Dr. ordered .

In all seriousness I would not want to bait if I was a hunter , I would want to track and rub my hands in the scat so I could tell when the deer passed thru and what is was eating . But I am old school

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Get a bedded doe. Use it during the rut. Half size flat black or dark gray silhouettes will work near a field edge, heads down like they're feeding. Set them up so they cast a shadow opposite the way you expect a deer to come from. You be on the other side sun to your back with rifle or bow. This is where you have to watch your scent, and know your digs. Aim them away from same way the prevailing wind is coming from. Good deer in open habitat feed with the wind approaching from the rear most of the time. Surrounding pressure will dictate how much and what time. Hard cold wind in their face will make them head the other way unless it gets well past dark time.
    If your in the woods and its thick, just put a small piece of white tissue paper in between some thick, ass high bushes. Just so it flits around a little bit. Rattle some horns and watch a transition area where some deer duck in and out through a little hole and be in position to shoot it. Like where a cut over meets a timber line. Not a beat up doe trail but near one so you can shoot both the hole and the trail at the same time.

A lot of folks don't realize this or the fact that most un-pressured deer walk with the wind, using their eyes to look for danger in front and smell danger from behind. Same with bedding. The rump usually points into the wind and face looks down wind.

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    The best decoy is a dark blue Chevy truck after you made the last payment and dropped the full coverage insurance.

Or so I've heard.

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    You say she's gotta "RACK", Meister Outrider?

You find her in a heavy petting zoo didja' Dr. M?

Spit on my screen after readin' that Meister' H.

The best decoy is a dark blue Chevy truck after you made the last payment and dropped the full coverage insurance.

Spit on my screen again after readin' that BeanCounter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom