Police stop and you are legally transporting a non-serial number firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Lying is illegal. You lie, then expect a slew of charges coming your way.

"However," you are not required to answer their question directly either.

When you say that "you have nothing illegal in the vehicle." That shuts down probable cause for a search, because you are not doing anything wrong.

If there is some type of over-riding factor, like large amounts of blood over the car seats, hand grenades in the passenger seat, the smell of marijuana/alcohol emanating from your vehicle, then you are under the magnifying glass, so mind your P's and Q's.
    THIS. ^^^^

I have nothing illegal in my vehicle.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Many years ago I was moving about 20 long guns from one place to another when I was involved in a traffic accident. BCoPD showed up to handle the reports for the four of us. I told the LEO that I was transporting a number of rifles and ammo. He looked at me said OK and continued the reports. I'm regularly armed (carry permit) and transport firearms for range use, of the few traffic stops the LEO never went any further then a OK then wrote the ticket. But then I don't look like a bad guy crack head either. Chris

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Saying I have nothing illegal in the vehicle when asked if have weapons wouldn't be lying.
    Don't consent to a search. Never volunteer information. Know your rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Sound very excited, tell them yes and tell them all about the build. There are 2 types of police. Those like me who are genuinely interested, and those that are so sick of hearing those like me talk about the latest purchase, build, modification, or competition their eyes will glaze over and they will walk away, possibly forgetting to write you a ticket.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I was stopped on 95S, after Maryland lied about seat belts being a secondary offense, and was asked by a state trooper if I had guns in my vehicle.

I said yes. And that was the end of it. Did I have to answer? I don't know.

What I do know is The U.S. Constitution means jack crap when pulled over. The police hold all the cards. So it's yes, sir and no, sir and being on my merry way.

I do not disagree.. now for some :popcorn:

Sound very excited, tell them yes and tell them all about the build. There are 2 types of police. Those like me who are genuinely interested, and those that are so sick of hearing those like me talk about the latest purchase, build, modification, or competition their eyes will glaze over and they will walk away, possibly forgetting to write you a ticket.

Schipperke and 1time, your replies are "not disapproved" :D

J1911

Aug 27, 2014
    SoMD
    , the smell of marijuana/alcohol

I’ve known a few folks that do not, in two cases never in their life did, smoke weed and still got the ******** “I smell marijuana” line.

Of course nothing was found but it doesn’t stop the slimy fishing expedition.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    IANAL but I do believe that Maryland is a Upon Request state which means that if stopped you do not have to announce you have a fire arm but if asked You are supposed to tell them. Don't now what the consequences are if you lie.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You can answer I have nothing illegal in my car. If asked if they can conduct a search, politely decline. It’s your 4A right. If they feel they have PC, let them go get a search warrant.

You have no illegal firearms in your vehicle and are not engaged in an illegal activity minus whatever reason the LEO stopped you for.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You can answer I have nothing illegal in my car. If asked if they can conduct a search, politely decline. It’s your 4A right. If they feel they have PC, let them go get a search warrant.

You have no illegal firearms in your vehicle and are not engaged in an illegal activity minus whatever reason the LEO stopped you for.

Do they need a search warrant when they have PC?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are more elements to the Obstructing statute beyond simply lying . BUT you can betcha being cought fibbing with be a factor in the totality of the field investigations.

But 4th Amendment activism is a whole field in itself . Harking back to my frequent invocations of * The Five Different Conversations about Firearms Transport * , " wise & prudent " is a not a fixed thing .

Added - S/N were not required on rifles and shotguns until 1968 . Many inexpensive to field grade firearms did not have one . They are recorded on 4473 and other documents as " NSN " .

That said , while not required , few downsides to engraving your own random number upon your self built firearm . ( I didn't say the rest of the info required by NFA, etc , just a number .) It's not linked to any registration or database , and sometimes its helpful for you to be able to objectively refer to your creation . ie forgotten at AGC firing line , stolen and recovered , left for gunsmithing or refinishing , insurance claim after fire or disasters.

It easier to refer to s/n BF44-001 than to " that black gun with the thing that goes up , not that one , the other one over there .

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Do they need a search warrant when they have PC?

No, you do not have to consent to a search request from the officer. But, if the officer has what he or she considers to be probable cause, they will search, no warrant required. Then it will be battled in court.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And I would guess even if something was found but the court rules no PC, then the result of that search is in admissible.

Fruit of the poisonous tree and all that

Name Taken cirted a court case that allows police searches of vehicles looking for contraband. But a stop without PC of contraband being suspected would not be PC for a search for some other reason IMO.

But IANAL

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Lying is also known as a false statement.

Title 9 - Crimes Against Public Administration
    Subtitle 5 - False Statements
    § 9-501. False statement -- To law enforcement officer

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2016/criminal-law/title-9/subtitle-5/section-9-501/

This is NOT legal advice: These are principles that I, personally, adhere to. YMMV:

First, making a false statement to a FEDERAL LEO (etc) can be a felony in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1001. That covers "whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully (1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact; (2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or (3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry; shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. Ask Martha Stewart about Section 1001.

MD State law is different.
    Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 9-501 (recodifying former Art. 27, § 150), provides that “(a) A person may not make, or cause to be made, a statement, report, or complaint that the person knows to be false as a whole or in material part, to a law enforcement officer of the State, of a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of the State, or of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Police with intent to deceive and to cause an investigation or other action to be taken as a result of the statement, report, or complaint. That's a misdemeanor that makes the person "subject to imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding $500 or both."

In Johnson v. Maryland, 75 Md.App. 621 (Ct. of Sp. Appeals 1988), cert denied 316 Md. 675 (1989), the intermediate court of appeals of Maryland applied Maryland precedent and held that "we do not believe the giving of false information in response to routine questioning by the police, even though it is likely to hinder or delay an investigation already underway, is the type of false statement, report or complaint that comes within the “false alarm” public mischief the General Assembly intended to criminalize when it enacted § 150" Rather, the statute covers "the making of false reports to the police which cause the police to conduct investigations that divert them from their proper duties of preventing crime and investigating actual incidents of crime." That's much more narrow than Section 1001. This holding in Johnson was confirmed by the MD Court of Appeals in Jones v. State, 362 Md. 331, 765 A.2d 127 (2001), which reaffirmed its post-Johnson prior opinion in Choi v. State, 316 Md. 529, 560 A.2d 1108 (1989). The Court stated in Jones that "under Choi, the offense of making a false statement to a police officer is not committed by one who, during an ongoing investigation, answers an investigating police officer's inquiries untruthfully. The offense is only committed by one whose false statement causes the police initially to undertake an investigation or other action" (765 A.2d at 130). See also In re Heather B. 369 Md. 257, 799 A.2d 397 (2002).

This is not to say that lying to a state LEO is ok. Quite to the contrary, generally, intentionally lying to police officers is a bad idea. It just may not be criminal, in and of itself, in very specific circumstances. This can get complicated very quickly. I would consult a lawyer.

This is NOT legal advice

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Speaking for myself, I am actually not required to actually answer any questions. I have to produce my license, registration and proof of insurance, if driving. To all other questions, I can simply say: Officer, no disrespect, but I would like to be on my way. Am I free to go or am I being detained? Repeat. And, if necessary, repeat again. The more conversation I engage in the more likely I will say something that could trigger further questions and down the rabbit hole I go. The right not to answer is there to protect the innocent. See Grunewald v. United States, 353 U.S. 391 (1957) ("'one of the basic functions of the privilege’ is ‘to protect ‘the innocent who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances'"). If I am being detained, then if want to assert my right to silence, I would be required (under Salinas v. Texas,133 S.Ct. 2174 (2013)) to assert my 5th Amendment right to silence expressly and expressly decline to answer further questions without the assistance of legal counsel. The invocation of my Sixth Amendment right to legal counsel is particularly appropriate. This is not legal advice.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    This is NOT legal advice: These are principles that I, personally, adhere to. YMMV:

First, making a false statement to a FEDERAL LEO (etc) can be a felony in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1001. That covers "whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully (1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact; (2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or (3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry; shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. Ask Martha Stewart about Section 1001.

MD State law is different.
    Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 9-501 (recodifying former Art. 27, § 150), provides that “(a) A person may not make, or cause to be made, a statement, report, or complaint that the person knows to be false as a whole or in material part, to a law enforcement officer of the State, of a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of the State, or of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Police with intent to deceive and to cause an investigation or other action to be taken as a result of the statement, report, or complaint. That's a misdemeanor that makes the person "subject to imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding $500 or both."

In Johnson v. Maryland, 75 Md.App. 621 (Ct. of Sp. Appeals 1988), cert denied 316 Md. 675 (1989), the intermediate court of appeals of Maryland applied Maryland precedent and held that "we do not believe the giving of false information in response to routine questioning by the police, even though it is likely to hinder or delay an investigation already underway, is the type of false statement, report or complaint that comes within the “false alarm” public mischief the General Assembly intended to criminalize when it enacted § 150" Rather, the statute covers "the making of false reports to the police which cause the police to conduct investigations that divert them from their proper duties of preventing crime and investigating actual incidents of crime." That's much more narrow than Section 1001. This holding in Johnson was confirmed by the MD Court of Appeals in Jones v. State, 362 Md. 331, 765 A.2d 127 (2001), which reaffirmed its post-Johnson prior opinion in Choi v. State, 316 Md. 529, 560 A.2d 1108 (1989). The Court stated in Jones that "under Choi, the offense of making a false statement to a police officer is not committed by one who, during an ongoing investigation, answers an investigating police officer's inquiries untruthfully. The offense is only committed by one whose false statement causes the police initially to undertake an investigation or other action" (765 A.2d at 130). See also In re Heather B. 369 Md. 257, 799 A.2d 397 (2002).

This is not to say that lying to a state LEO is ok. Quite to the contrary, generally, intentionally lying to police officers is a bad idea. It just may not be criminal, in and of itself, in very specific circumstances. This can get complicated very quickly. I would consult a lawyer.

This is NOT legal advice
    so if its against the law to not tell the truth to all above mentioned paragraph 2 code ann how is it not against law in to do the same hb1302

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    so if its against the law to not tell the truth to all above mentioned paragraph 2 code ann how is it not against law in to do the same hb1302

The petitioner under HB1302 is expressly granted complete immunity from criminal and civil liability for filing a petition if the petitioner does so in "good faith." So, yes, HB 1302 immunity would arguably be from charges that could have otherwise been brought under Section 9-501

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom