• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well
    The big 14lb bar was easy in the Lee Big Dipper. Filled it up twice. It came out to be very pure soft lead.

Still muddling over the suggestions on melting the big one. Not looking to buy stuff yet unless I will have some alternate use for it. A stronger propane burner for the frying pan I already have may be the most practical one though as that can have other practical uses in the future.

The question on a propane burner (hooking up to a BBQ propane tank), will I need to look for some sort of BTU spec that I need a minimum?
    I was looking at this one on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-B-5300-High-Pressure-Outdoor-Propane/dp/B06XWJPSDJ

cec81412918b8f9f10553361f0b2d4ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Melnic;5459391 The question on a propane burner (hooking up to a BBQ propane tank) said:
    https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-B-5300-High-Pressure-Outdoor-Propane/dp/B06XWJPSDJ[/url]
    k

Melnic, yes the propane burner in your link will work perfect. I’m sure I smelt more lead than most, and this type of burner is all I use. An old cast iron pan, would work great on top, for the small amount you are going to melt.

I don’t smelt any lead into ingots until I have at least 700 or more pounds to do. I use 2 of these types of burners, going at the same time. My brother and I do this together, and have been doing it for years, and have it down to a Science. Instead of cast iron pots, we use old empty propane tanks, that we have cut about 3/4 tall. Each pot can easily hold over 200 pounds. We also have enough ingot molds to do over 125 pounds, at a time. The last time we put up ingots was around the last of November. We did 900 pounds of ingots, in about 6 hours. This includes set up, clean up and putting the ingots in 100 pound lots.
    When we started, we were way slower, but he and I each know the job we are each so posed to do, and it moves along quickly now.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ordered the propane burner as I have other uses for that.

Took 10 mins to get the first chunk off but with my tendinitis on my arms I’m not gonna take it any further and wait for the burner.

No log splitter

I put the wedge into the Lee hardness tester and it’s pretty pure at 5BNH

That disk is 30lbs

I have lots of plans for shooting lead this spring and summer so I’ll still be buying and collecting lead.

Struck out at 5 tire places so far

64ec3bd39fac8938dd5677a6868be1ca.jpg

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Brickman sells soft lead.

Thanks for mentioning me! Yes I do, even though it’s not posted in the classifieds, I always have sheet lead and 99.99 percent pure lead ingots for sale. If interested send me a PM. I sell Mostly to people making muzzleloader bullets, and fishing sinkers. Also, people buy my ingots because the know the composition, and they can consistently make their own alloys.
    I’ll post it here in another thread, but I’m trying to obtain a large amount of Linotype, if I can get enough people interested in purchasing it from me.
    Linotype is a very hard alloy, and works great for modern bullets, when mixed with pure lead. Linotype is getting very very hard to find.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes
    Brickman has me on his list. If anyone plans to travel his way I can chip in some gas $ to share the expense to pick me up some of his lead

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yes
    Brickman has me on his list. If anyone plans to travel his way I can chip in some gas $ to share the expense to pick me up some of his lead

Yep, your definitely on my list, I don’t get down your way often, but if I do, hopefully we can work something out. Thanks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yep, your definitely on my list, I don’t get down your way often, but if I do, hopefully we can work something out. Thanks

I’m headed to Deep Creek end of feb so may be able to meet up on the way back. In that case I can pick up for other people in my area (Arundel Mills or Clarksville)

I can be the Lead Mule
    1d0593c34eb8f3e84e60191b77fb570a.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hmm, now I'm thinking I could have rigged something up with the large chisel I used shown in post #28 plus a bottle jack from my car.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I don’t smelt any lead into ingots until I have at least 700 or more pounds to do. I use 2 of these types of burners, going at the same time. My brother and I do this together, and have been doing it for years, and have it down to a Science. Instead of cast iron pots, we use old empty propane tanks, that we have cut about 3/4 tall. Each pot can easily hold over 200 pounds. We also have enough ingot molds to do over 125 pounds, at a time. The last time we put up ingots was around the last of November. We did 900 pounds of ingots, in about 6 hours. This includes set up, clean up and putting the ingots in 100 pound lots.
    When we started, we were way slower, but he and I each know the job we are each so posed to do, and it moves along quickly now.

Wow!!!!!

I couldn't imagine doing that much!!! The last little batch of reclaimed range lead had me walking like a question mark for days!!!

What do you use for ingot molds?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Wow!!!!!

I couldn't imagine doing that much!!! The last little batch of reclaimed range lead had me walking like a question mark for days!!!

What do you use for ingot molds?

I use old cast iron corn bread pans. My ingots look like ears of corn. We keep the turkey fryers elevated, as well as the table, that the ingot molds are placed on, to try and minimize how much we have to bend over. The worst part is that my forearms hurt for a day or so, from using the lead ladle to pore the lead in the ingot molds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom