• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    As most of you know I sell sheet lead and pure lead ingots on here and a few other forums/ places as well. I deal with this lead, as I have a constant supply, and the lead is consistently the same. It makes it nice, as repeating customers know exactly what they are getting.
    With that said, I’ve found a large supply of Linotype lead, that I may purchase. This would be a one time supply. I have purchased some of this lead in the past, and it’s very nice stuff. I’m only going to get this Linotype lead, if I get enough people interested in purchasing what I don’t keep for myself. I would have several hundred or maybe even a thousand pounds of this stuff for sale, if I close the deal.
    So if I pick up this lead, would anyone here be interested in purchasing some from me? This lead is not cheap, or easy to find anymore. If I had to guess, and this is only a guess at this time, I’d sell it for $1.75 a pound. Most places I’ve looked are wanting over $2.00 a pound for Linotype.
    If anyone is interested post up here or send me a PM. Thanks

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Wow I’ve gotten a lot of responses on here, and in Pm’s. Hopefully I’ll be picking this lead up in the near future. I will keep you all posted. I do want to make it clear, I don’t ship lead. It would be available for pick up only, in Frederick. Hopefully that doesn’t scare to many of you guys away. Thanks

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Linotype is used mostly to alloy soft lead to make it harder for shooting at higher velocities like in rifles and magnum handguns. I certainly would be interested in some depending on the final price.

For those wanting to learn more about lead, Tin, Linotype, (the ubiquitous) Antimony, and other alloying subjects:
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

Here is a thread for Lead Alloy Calculators:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators

Blacksmith101, thanks for the links. That’s valuable information, especially to those new to casting. I don’t cast a lot of alloys, other than straight wheel weights, anymore. I mostly cast for blackpowder cartridges and muzzleloaders, which is pure lead, or sheet lead. When I used to cast for a lot of modern bullets, I used a mixture of pure lead and Linotype. I can’t remember my mixture off the top of my head, I’d have to look through my records. I never pushed my cast bullets to fast, but I remember my alloy being a little harder than straight wheel weights.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would be interested in some.

I used to buy linotype from scrap dealers. I cast pure linotype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom