• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I want to get into reloading (specifically.223/556, 6.5x52 carcano, 7.5x55 Swiss, and .303 Brit). Is there a specific brand of primer that I should be looking out for or should I just try different ones and see what works best? Are they’re any noticeable differences between brands? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    heck, beggars can't be choosers.
    Any Primers if you have not noticed is like unobtanium right now. So are 6.5 Carcano dies

I wish someone would make a priority list but I can say from my experience, bullet quality, matched to the rifle, powder consistency and tuning your load to the rifle makes more of a difference than brand of primer.

I usually use OCW for my best most reliable loads
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    heck, beggars can't be choosers.
    Any Primers if you have not noticed is like unobtanium right now. So are 6.5 Carcano dies

I wish someone would make a priority list but I can say from my experience, bullet quality, matched to the rifle, powder consistency and tuning your load to the rifle makes more of a difference than brand of primer.

I usually use OCW for my best most reliable loads
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Ya I noticed primers are hard to come by that’s one of the big reasons I asked if there was something specific I should try, and how hard are the 7.5 and .303 dies to find? I’ve never seen them advertised on midway or brownells like 9mm and 223 dies are.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    Hello - I have done a fair amount of testing over a chronograph with match loads and I have ended up with CCI benchrest primers in large rifle, CCI 450 small rifle magnum in small rifle primers. They seem to give the best accuracy and most consistent velocities. I have tested all of the major primer brands. Federal Match comes in 2nd, although Federal and CCI are now owned by the same company, so I am not sure if there is a difference in their primers.

Hope this helps

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Hello - I have done a fair amount of testing over a chronograph with match loads and I have ended up with CCI benchrest primers in large rifle, CCI 450 small rifle magnum in small rifle primers. They seem to give the best accuracy and most consistent velocities. I have tested all of the major primer brands. Federal Match comes in 2nd, although Federal and CCI are now owned by the same company, so I am not sure if there is a difference in their primers.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As of right now, Melnic has it right .

You * might * find a choice in 209 primers . Anything else , you high five yourself to find One .
    And when you do , buy it .

$300- ish / k IS Redicous . As far as primers physically in front of you , I haven't seen massive price hikes . The New Normal covid pricing is up to $50- ish . If there are any .

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    As of right now, Melnic has it right .

You * might * find a choice in 209 primers . Anything else , you high five yourself to find One .
    And when you do , buy it .

$300- ish / k IS Redicous . As far as primers physically in front of you , I haven't seen massive price hikes . The New Normal covid pricing is up to $50- ish . If there are any .

50$ a 1,000?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Where did you get them from? Are there better places than others? (IE midway brownells bass pro)

Rsp gunshop in falling waters wv...I've never purchased hazmat online. Hafers in Hagerstown had small and large rifle primers last week but limited to 200 each. My best advice if your hard up fill up your gas tank and start hitting every shop you can find. Rsp is pretty well stocked with powder as well. Not sure where your located but I could give you a list of places I have had luck with lately around Washington county md, berkeley county wv, and Morgan county Wv.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Rsp gunshop in falling waters wv...I've never purchased hazmat online. Hafers in Hagerstown had small and large rifle primers last week but limited to 200 each. My best advice if your hard up fill up your gas tank and start hitting every shop you can find. Rsp is pretty well stocked with powder as well. Not sure where your located but I could give you a list of places I have had luck with lately around Washington county md, berkeley county wv, and Morgan county Wv.

I appreciate it, but those are all a couple hours away from me, I’m closer to Annapolis and DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom