does anyone else prefer a fixed front sight over folding?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I learned on a M4gery with a fixed A2 sight and a red dot with absolute cowitness. I never felt like the front sight was in the way or obscured my vision. I always folded the rear sight down though.

Ever since I switched to all folding sights on my newest AR, I feel like I'm a bit slower shooting with the red dot on speed drills.

I feel like the fixed front sight aided me in finding the red dot quickly, and up close shooting it almost acted as an aid for point shooting. The front post seemed to give me the same effect as the circle ring on an Eotech Sight, letting me know I was "close enough" to hit vitals. Yet with the red dot I find myself trying to be too precise at times because I no longer have the front sight helping me "eyeball it."

Anyone else feel like that? I might switch back to a fixed sight.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What you should be doing it looking at the target and mounting the gun. You shouldn't be hunting for the dot. Maybe change the way you mount the gun? Because hunting for the dot or what you did with the fixed front sight is obviously slowing you down.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    What you should be doing it looking at the target and mounting the gun. You shouldn't be hunting for the dot. Maybe change the way you mount the gun? Because hunting for the dot or what you did with the fixed front sight is obviously slowing you down.

The fixed front sight seemed to provide a larger aiming device for up close in combination with the red dot. I feel like helped me similar to how the 65MOA EoTech ring helps. Up close, just throw the tip of the front post at the torso and let loose. The 2 MOA dot by itself...just seems to make me want to be more precise than necessary for torso hits. The dot just feels very naked and alone out there without the front sight. :lol2:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a fixed front sight and an ACOG on my go-to rifle. It works just fine.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a fixed front sight and an ACOG on my go-to rifle. It works just fine.

It definitely works. I've done it before. What I'm finding now is that I think I shoot quicker with a fixed sight compared to not having a sight in the way.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It definitely works. I've done it before. What I'm finding now is that I think I shoot quicker with a fixed sight compared to not having a sight in the way.

Gotcha. I shoot faster with a red dot. Both eyes open. Don’t need to acquire a post through a ring.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Gotcha. I shoot faster with a red dot. Both eyes open. Don’t need to acquire a post through a ring.

I am talking about using the red dot here, not iron sights. What I mean is, the presence of a fixed front sight post, compared to my new setup with a folded down BUIS, seems to result in quicker shots on target. I don't mean anything about using the iron sights to aim together, just that the presence of the fixed front sight in my view seems to help me get quicker shots with the red dot compared to just the red dot with no front sight in the view. Rear sight is down during all of this.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am talking about using the red dot here, not iron sights. What I mean is, the presence of a fixed front sight post, compared to my new setup with a folded down BUIS, seems to result in quicker shots on target. I don't mean anything about using the iron sights to aim together, just that the presence of the fixed front sight in my view seems to help me get quicker shots with the red dot compared to just the red dot with no front sight in the view. Rear sight is down during all of this.

Ok. Then I see no difference because using a red dot the iron sight doesn’t even register in my brain. You are using it wrong. The red dot is called a reflex sight for a reason. You are supposed to get it in your field of vision and put it on your target...boom.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Ok. Then I see no difference because using a red dot the iron sight doesn’t even register in my brain. You are using it wrong. The red dot is called a reflex sight for a reason. You are supposed to get it in your field of vision and put it on your target...boom.

I'm still not sure I'm getting my point across of what I'm trying to say.

The front sight seems to help me use my red dot quicker at closer ranges, almost like a crude aiming device. I'm not actually aiming with it. I'm aiming with the red dot. But with the front sight visible I focus less on perfect red dot placement, and focus more on "good enough" before quickly pulling the trigger on the torso. With the front sight down, my brain seems to want me to spend more time than normal getting the 2MOA dot where I want it.

It's hard to explain. All I know is I shot better when the front sight was in the view. Maybe I'm just used to it.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

The front sight seems to help me use my red dot quicker at closer ranges, almost like a crude aiming device. I'm not actually aiming with it. I'm aiming with the red dot. But with the front sight visible I focus less on perfect red dot placement, and focus more on "good enough" before quickly pulling the trigger on the torso. With the front sight down, my brain seems to want me to spend more time than normal getting the 2MOA dot where I want it.

It's hard to explain. All I know is I shot better when the front sight was in the view. Maybe I'm just used to it.

The bolded may very well be your answer.

I try to stay out of these threads (and for the most part every thread recently) because I've simply reached that point in life where I'm over the unnecessary BS of internet existence and I have no desire to chime in and stir some virtual chest thumping match.

With that being said we do a lot of this (and I mean a lot of it) because of who we work for. And no we're not doing it in preparation to come and take your guns.

I think Doc hit the nail on the head multiple times and I would suggest that you shoot more and think less. Not trying to be smart here. If your sh!t is dialed in, both eyes open always, acquire the target, and fire. Repeat, repeat, repeat.............

We see your condition frequently when training new people and with those who for whatever reason seem to be fighting or struggling with sights and speed during the CQB stuff, a couple of hours worth of amped up pace stress fire usually makes it go away. No time to think, just shoot and they adapt. (And are usually shocked at how magically they've gotten so much better)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The bolded may very well be your answer.

I try to stay out of these threads (and for the most part every thread recently) because I've simply reached that point in life where I'm over the unnecessary BS of internet existence and I have no desire to chime in and stir some virtual chest thumping match.

With that being said we do a lot of this (and I mean a lot of it) because of who we work for. And no we're not doing it in preparation to come and take your guns.

I think Doc hit the nail on the head multiple times and I would suggest that you shoot more and think less. Not trying to be smart here. If your sh!t is dialed in, both eyes open always, acquire the target, and fire. Repeat, repeat, repeat.............

We see your condition frequently when training new people and with those who for whatever reason seem to be fighting or struggling with sights and speed during the CQB stuff, a couple of hours worth of amped up pace stress fire usually makes it go away. No time to think, just shoot and they adapt. (And are usually shocked at how magically they've gotten so much better)

I'm still shooting well either way. I've just noticed that my times under the shot timer drills, were better with a fixed front sight. Not worried or anything, I'm either going to get used to this or go back the the fixed front sight. I was mostly just curious if anyone else here PREFERS the front fight being there. I was a bit surprised to find that it feels weird without it being there.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    So just using the red dot as a rear sight? Gotcha.

In CQB you use it as your only sight. Obviously you have to understand how your initial BZO with irons will affect close range shots and adjust your point of aim with the dot. (I/E if I want to hit you between the eyes at 7 meters in a close engagement I'm going to have to hold that dot higher depending on how I did the BZO)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm still shooting well either way. I've just noticed that my times under the shot timer drills, were better with a fixed front sight. Not worried or anything, I'm either going to get used to this or go back the the fixed front sight. I was mostly just curious if anyone else here PREFERS the front fight being there. I was a bit surprised to find that it feels weird without it being there.

It certainly won't hurt anything if you go back to fixed. If that's what works for you, roll with it.

I prefer folding. I agree front sight post helps with target acquisition at close range. I flip it down when shooting at distance.

Some people will say your not using the red dot correctly or dont practice enough but I think its just more of a preference. Do whatever works best for you. I know several special ops guys that shoot and train all the time and still like to run fixed a2 front sights with red dots. It makes a good reference point if you have to aim quickly when every millisecond counts or have to shoot from a awkward position.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I prefer folding. I agree front sight post helps with target acquisition at close range. I flip it down when shooting at distance.

Some people will say your not using the red dot correctly or dont practice enough but I think its just more of a preference. Do whatever works best for you. I know several special ops guys that shoot and train all the time and still like to run fixed a2 front sights with red dots. It makes a good reference point if you have to aim quickly when every millisecond counts or have to shoot from a awkward position.

I'll have to pull a couple of guns out later. I don't think a front sight even registers in my brain when the bright red dot is on. I guess I'll have to pay attention.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Just keep the front sight flipped up then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

That’s a good way to describe how I feel about it. A reference point when aiming quickly. Keep in mind I’m still shooting good either way. I just noticed a little difference.

I'll have to pull a couple of guns out later. I don't think a front sight even registers in my brain when the bright red dot is on. I guess I'll have to pay attention.

That’s the thing, it doesn’t really consciously register in my brain either. You know how the EoTech 65MOA ring is? That’s kind of how I feel with the front sight up. Like it’s there to aid in quick cqb shooting where I don’t need to focus the smaller 2moa dot on target. My brain quickly decides “good enough” and pulls the trigger based on the sight picture of the front sight and red dot combined.

I never really noticed this before until I switched really. I also had trouble adjusting once when I switched away from the EoTech Reticle. That was another hard one to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom