• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m putting the pieces together for another AR build and I have a certain look in mind. Thinking a Noveske Flaming Pig would give me the look while not risking damaging the handguard with a traditional A2 flash hider?

Attachments

• E8746104-3686-4F58-A679-30B4C8966065.jpeg
      E8746104-3686-4F58-A679-30B4C8966065.jpeg
      12 KB · Views: 575

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Yep, those like the KAK will work....I've never thought of Monstrum as being high quality.....

Too bad Magpul doesn’t make one!

Any of these decent?

Attachments

• E6858A8D-8702-47FA-B3CC-96541DC5BF58.jpg
      E6858A8D-8702-47FA-B3CC-96541DC5BF58.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 482

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    total thread derail, but does anyone else have one of those Slim handguards? I have one, and it just doesn't feel right gripping with the C clamp grip. I prefer my thicker quad rail as it makes me have a tighter grip without thinking about it. I was thinking about adding a angled fore grip to give it some beef.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    total thread derail, but does anyone else have one of those Slim handguards? I have one, and it just doesn't feel right gripping with the C clamp grip. I prefer my thicker quad rail as it makes me have a tighter grip without thinking about it. I was thinking about adding a angled fore grip to give it some beef.

Total....

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I have a flaming pig and a KAK flash can on my 300 blackout builds, both work great. The flaming pig was on a 10.5” barrel in a 12.5” handguard, it stuck out just a bit past the end but I would have no issue with it being right up to the handguard end.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a flaming pig and a KAK flash can on my 300 blackout builds, both work great. The flaming pig was on a 10.5” barrel in a 12.5” handguard, it stuck out just a bit past the end but I would have no issue with it being right up to the handguard end.

I guess I’ll wait and then buy handguard after measuring the barrel and flash can. Might need an 18” handguard

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I guess I’ll wait and then buy handguard after measuring the barrel and flash can. Might need an 18” handguard

I went and measured, on a 10.5” barrel the length from receiver to end of flaming pig is right around 13.5”. The micro flash can from KAK is much shorter and works exactly the same which might be a better option if you want a shorter OAL.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I prefer narrower. I also prefer hand stops over c-clamp. My wrist doesn't bend thataway anymore.

Jon, if you're looking for decent-cheap, I recommend the UTGs. They are great for the money.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I prefer narrower. I also prefer hand stops over c-clamp. My wrist doesn't bend thataway anymore.

Jon, if you're looking for decent-cheap, I recommend the UTGs. They are great for the money.

I've also used UTGs. They work fine. The cheap handguards that have screws that go right into the barrel nut are really solid but really difficult to time for alignment. Once you get it on though it's not going anywhere. I think I paid $45 for a cheap handguard from ebay with a steel barrel nut one time. That thing worked great and was a UTG clone.

IMO the handguard is probably the least important part on an AR. You certainly want one that has a solid attachment to the barrel nut. Sure the cheap options may be more prone to bending but that isn't going to make an AR malfunction. Worst case your front sight will be off.

In all the years that budget manufacturers have been selling complete uppers I have never seen a complaint about a handguard "failing".

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    So the KAK is 3.25, I would need to find a HBAR barrel no shorter than 12.75 to be pinned/welded to be 16” in length total and fit perfectly within a 16” handguard, correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So the KAK is 3.25, I would need to find a HBAR barrel no shorter than 12.75 to be pinned/welded to be 16” in length total and fit perfectly within a 16” handguard, correct?

Take into account thread overlap.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

KAK has an extended version that’s 5” long which would let you use a 11.5” barrel. It will be a lot easier than trying to find a 12.75” barrel. If you use a crush washer that should keep you from going below 16” with the threads overlapping. Obviously you would still need to measure to be safe.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Take into account thread overlap.

Any suggestions on barrels that meet the criteria? I’m sure there’s not many short HBAR barrels that I have millions of choices. I’ll pick the handguard based on barrel/muzzle device length.

With everyone panicking I feel under gunned. I think 1 more will do it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    KAK has an extended version that’s 5” long which would let you use a 11.5” barrel. It will be a lot easier than trying to find a 12.75” barrel. If you use a crush washer that should keep you from going below 16” with the threads overlapping. Obviously you would still need to measure to be safe.

Since this will be a rifle the 11.5” would need to be an HBAR, no?

I still need to find a pretty upper. No blems for this boy. I like my safe queens to look good ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom