• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    .I would be ok with a DA/SA like the 229,220, 226, RAMI in IWB. They are just large.

A RAMI isn't 'large'... and isn't really in the same category as the other three you mentioned. A P229 is nearly identical in size to a CZ PCR or P01. A CZ 2075 RAMI is significantly smaller, and closer in size to your G43. Heavier though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Don't think this is really a hi-jack but another aspect of owning a leather holster--if wrong I apologize. I just received an Aker leather holster this week for my 1911. I was really surprised by the stiffness-- seems thin and stiff like Kydex. Don't recall my Galco SH being like this at all. Anyway-- any old pro/experienced tips, tricks for breaking in the leather? Viewed a couple of you-tube vids and some recommend wrapping firearm in wax paper and letting it sit for a few days. Any drawbacks to this-- 1911 is parkerized.

I used a couple of layers of Saran Wrap, since it's waterproof, on my Safariland leather holster/Ruger Blackhawk combo. Wax paper may leave some residue on you 1911.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I use neets foot oil to soften leather. May take a couple of applications but will make leather soft and pliable so it forms to your body.

For iwb I carry cross breed super tuck for my g 26. It allows you to adjust cant and height. Although I have never had too you can use heat gun to adjust kydex portion of holster to adjust retention.

Aside from that lc9 or LCR in pocket holster.

Only time I open carry is on property in W V and that’s a 1911 in black hawk retention holster or Ruger 44 mag in leather holster with retention strap.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you in a hurry to break in your leather ?

The accelerated method involves saran wrap and moisture .

If you can spare the gun and holster for a week or two , just put the bareback gun into dry holster ( with any straps or devices engaged ) , and stick in a drawer . Check in a week , if still tight , put back in drawer for another week .

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I took my leather pancake, soaked it, oiled pistol very well, put pistol in very thing plastic pag, put everything in my food saver bag, with dissicant, pulled vacuum, left overnight. Cut open FS bag removed, oiled pistol, I now have a formed fitted holster.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Gents- Of the various methods suggested I decided to go with Blaster229's method first. Happy to report that it worked like a charm-- perfect fit at this point. Once again--thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpg
      IMG_0267.jpg
      92.5 KB · Views: 140

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Gents- Of the various methods suggested I decided to go with Blaster229's method first. Happy to report that it worked like a charm-- perfect fit at this point. Once again--thank you all
    Glad it worked! Beautiful set up there.
    Do not use any leather liquid anything on holster leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom