• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MdShooter1

Oct 7, 2020
    I need to put an Optic on my Henry 44mag rifle. I want to go with a modern optic system, as opposed to a traditional style scope, because I see myself using this as a 100 yard or less hunting rifle, or a much shorter range personal defense gun. I have older eyes with a slight astigmatism. The prism style sights seems to be recommended for the astigmatism, but I’ve read some reviews that say a red dot with a MOA of 3 or less can still be effective with a slight astigmatism. If anyone has any suggestions and can take the time to respond it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    If you are only shooting 100 yards or so, you don’t need magnification. It is nice for people with older eyes. I highly recommend vortex. They have a lifetime warranty. Figure out if you want magnification then see how much. Many prisms are 3x or 5x. I haven’t seen many 2x. Check out some local shops and see what you like and will work best.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The bigger problem is going to be managing the mount (for reflex and prism sights) and maybe eye relief. Lever guns are not like ARs where you have a lot of easy positioning flexibility.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I have a bunch of dot sights and a bad astigmatism. You will be fine with a 2 moa dot. I would suggest a Holosun if you are on a budget, a very rugged red dot and full featured. If you are not on a budget then an aim point Acro or trijicon rmr. I would stay away from the off brand stuff.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would still consider a 1-4x.

And 1x, similar to a red dot. But some magnification if you need it

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Burris FastFire3. Planning to do this with my 1894 next season. Just the sight though, not the XS rail. If not that then some sort of peep sight would be second choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom