• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    I have a Remington 1100 and a Molot Vepr with a an ALG AKT trigger. The Vepr by far is the most fun for me to shoot.

CAP10

Feb 21, 2016
    Near Frederick, MD
    I have had my Browning Auto 5 since my dad got it for my 16th Bday. I am headed onto 60 and it still the smoothest shotgun I have fired. It has always fit me like it was made just for me. Won a LOT of turkey shoots back in the day. I carried the Rem 870 pump and Beretta mil/police, when it became available, for 30 years. I DO like the Rem 1100

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    See, this thread is now a mess. The main purpose for OP would be wingshooting, which requires a different stock setup than home defense, turkey hunting, or deer hunting. Most of the shots for deer, turkey, and human will be shots at targets on the ground, where a stock with less or no drop at comb would be ideal to help reduce muzzle climb after firing. Meanwhile, try shooting an overhead bird that is flying directly over you with a straight stock with no drop at comb. It is tough. The drop in comb allows the stock to be in the right position when the gun is in different shooting positions.

With all that said, there are a couple of other threads on here about the best waterfowling shotgun, wing shooting shotgun, etc. for the OP to get some answers to his question.

The M4 is a nice gun, but I wouldn't take mine waterfowling, dove hunting, or clay shooting. Then again, I happen to own other shotguns that fit those niches.

Does this mean we still have to stick to the thread's Semi-Automatic requirement or can we now propose an O/U or a side by side? :lol2:

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    I own 1100,s model 11 berettas and have shot benellis my versamax is the softest and most reliable of them all. Aldo if your going to waterfowl hunt abfolutrly buy a 3-1/2 inch gun. It’s a safety thing even if you don’t shoot 3-1/2s everybody else will be. I heave seen several of these mistakenly fired in 3 inch chambers.

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    Who says evil "assault weapons" are not used for hunting?

Maine 2015:
    55 Yards- my first bird

May%202015%20Maine%20Gobbler%20and%20Benelli%20M4%20.JPG

Ohio last Spring:

Both of these were close shots, about 20 yards or so.

a field hunt bird

IMG_5376.JPG

a deep woods mountain ridge hunt bird

IMG_5384.JPG

Edit:

BTW, it does reliably cycle light skeet 1 oz. loads. Not at first it didn't but after being "broken in" with slugs and buckshot, she eats ANYTHING. Just so you know.

Nice eatin'!

CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    glad u made this post question

What's up guys' favorite make and model of this type?

In the market soon. I have plenty of pump action so I'm looking to add a new style!

I've been doing auto reviews off and on for the last 2 yrs approx. still have not decided what i will pull the trigger on once i save for the shotgun.
    perfect choice is out of range of course the BENNELLI tactical auto's from $1250 to 2k $.

Mind you i chose 2 9mm compacts for SD and RANGE duty. i haven't even fired the yet. this year should change that hopefully.

BASED on the pistols i have I HONESTLY DON'T THINK I NEED a shot gun for home defense. But penetration is a concern if i have to shoot towards a wall that would be towards my neighbors house.

the other issue is this, i will usually have a gun on each floor, keeping the cheaper more expendable one at the ready. just in case of a real use scenario where i'd have to turn it over as evidence to police for an investigation. that way the custom won't likely fall into police hands. I'm not going to buy 2 shotguns no matter what lol.

i saw one interesting video the other day on a very low cost but seemingly legit semi auto made in turkey. i have not checked into it further. ijs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxwtJWiYjhA

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    did i miss an earlier reply to the question about how u planned on using it ?
    i saw folks go off with tons of various guns that may not suit u at all without you even answering that question. ijs

I did so yeah, I guess so is the answer to your question. Lol. I don't remember the post number though.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    did i miss an earlier reply to the question about how u planned on using it ?
    i saw folks go off with tons of various guns that may not suit u at all without you even answering that question. ijs

Sorry, I guess I didn't. An effective cross between wing hunts and home defense.

I'm not up that high, I'm wanting to stay under 1,500.

Thank you for the detail - duck mainly and maybe some goose. Home defense is really an after thought because I have other firearms for that too.

Ta Da! Threadjacked fairly early on if you read through the whole thing. But OP essentially seems to want a semi-auto for ducks and geese that costs less than $1500 and, in a pinch, could be used for HD if necessary.

There have been several very good suggestions in the thread that meet that criteria and several others that are completely out of line.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    with 1500 as the price point I would have said an 1100 wing gun and a 400$ home defense gun. why compromise between two very different purposes when you can easily have both specialized.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Sootch00 did a video on some Rock Island Armory vr60 that looks like an AR, but it's wrapped in plastic Turkish semiauto with a 5 round box mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom