• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Lol. Revolvers are obsolete, that is funny.

Tarps are only as effective as the one using abilities are.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Thanks CrazySanMan, the modified Toque you first posted is one of the neater varieties that piqued my interest when I was watching people pitch on YouTube. The one tarp I bought seems to be OK for a hammock roof at 8'x8' but not big enough for anything more complicated.

The ability to change the shelter to suit the need is also appealing, as is the lack of complete enclosure--at least when it's not cold out. Cooking "indoors" on a small stove when it's raining seems much less risky.

Doing research on adjustable ridgelines has definitely brought back some knot knowledge I'd forgotten. Even if I never become a tentless convert it sure is fun learning.

Thanks everyone for sharing some knowledge and links.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    hdr_00016_normal_zps8egqanib.jpg

But How do you like that FJ ?? I was really thinking about buying a 4 runner or Sequoia but those FJ's seem to remind me of the Old Land cruisers and we know how much $$ they are now.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    But How do you like that FJ ?? I was really thinking about buying a 4 runner or Sequoia but those FJ's seem to remind me of the Old Land cruisers and we know how much $$ they are now.

I told my wife she's going to have to find a cemetery that will bury me in my FJ. I'll never get rid of it. It's as capable as a Jeep Rubicon off-road and rides very smooth and comfortable on the road.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Anyone here - OP included - ever considered making a Tarp Tent from Tyvek? Now that my 4th grader eldest kiddo is about to age-out of Cub Scouts, we're finally looking to transition from car camping gear, to lighter weight hike-able gear. I bought an eBay footprint for a buddy of mine as a thank you for lending us his Big Agnes 4 person tent (really a 2 man with gear), and it made me want to consider making a tent from the stuff, since it seems so durable yet lightweight. I've begun researching the prospects of a hot teepee style tent, for 4 season use, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on buying some material. In my biz, real estate, I see sooo many builders just chuckin this stuff in dumpsters. They're scraps for new home builds, but surely large enough to piece together for tarp tenting at the least. I may experiment with replicating my rain fly's on some of my cheapo Coleman and Wallyworld tents, to see if I can make them into cheap 4 season tents, but OP, def check out some Tyvek scraps for your tarp tenting needs. Def cheaper than camp specific tech fabrics. --JB

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I told my wife she's going to have to find a cemetery that will bury me in my FJ. I'll never get rid of it. It's as capable as a Jeep Rubicon off-road and rides very smooth and comfortable on the road.

I really think that those FJ's will start to go up in value in the next 15 years. Glad to hear you have no plans to sell and that you love it .

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Ever considered making a Tarp Tent from Tyvek? But OP, def check out some Tyvek scraps for your tarp tenting needs. Def cheaper than camp specific tech fabrics. --JB

Already got a piece of Tyvek as a ground sheet! People have definitely made their own Tyvek tent/tarps and they seem to hold up pretty well; they can be sewn together but taping tends to work fine.

I never considered dumpster diving for scraps at a construction site, that's a great idea.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I really think that those FJ's will start to go up in value in the next 15 years. Glad to hear you have no plans to sell and that you love it .

I bought it new off the lot in 2012 for $36,000. The Kelly blue book website says that now, with 99k miles on it, it's trade in value is $30k. I get letters in the mail all the time from Toyota dealerships wanting me to go trade it in on a new Toyota. It's like my guns - "From my cold dead hands!"

There are two cons to the FJ - poor fuel economy and it has some rather large blind spots. I can't say anything else bad about it. In 99k miles I haven't had to replace anything but fluids, filters, and brakes. It shares most suspension components with the 4Runner and Tacoma so there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades available for it. The engine makes gobs of torque and it is surprisingly quick off the line. The ATRAC and rear locker allow me to get up, over, and through obstacles that I see Jeeps, trucks, and other vehicles get stuck on. In fact, I've pulled and winched my fair share of stuck Jeeps and F-150's in Colorado's back country.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I bought it new off the lot in 2012 for $36,000. The Kelly blue book website says that now, with 99k miles on it, it's trade in value is $30k. I get letters in the mail all the time from Toyota dealerships wanting me to go trade it in on a new Toyota. It's like my guns - "From my cold dead hands!"

There are two cons to the FJ - poor fuel economy and it has some rather large blind spots. I can't say anything else bad about it. In 99k miles I haven't had to replace anything but fluids, filters, and brakes. It shares most suspension components with the 4Runner and Tacoma so there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades available for it. The engine makes gobs of torque and it is surprisingly quick off the line. The ATRAC and rear locker allow me to get up, over, and through obstacles that I see Jeeps, trucks, and other vehicles get stuck on. In fact, I've pulled and winched my fair share of stuck Jeeps and F-150's in Colorado's back country.

Pretty much exactly what I've heard. I have lots of friends in the Jeep community and they respect the FJ

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Toyotas and AKs for the win! Indestructible and utterly reliable. Not the prettiest, not the ugliest, works every time. The choice of freedom fighters around the world!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I carry tarps in the car for an emergency shelter if need be but if I'm looking for lightweight I go hammock and rain fly. Slept under it in a down pour and stayed nice and dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom