• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    For those that CCW and need to lock your weapon up for whatever reason what would you recommend for a passenger car, I am looking for something that will fit an M&P9 with 20 round mags and the vehicles it would be in is either a compact car with a good bit of under seat space or a modern dodge charger.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    My gun lock box will not hold gun & holster at same time , that is one feature I do not like . I will use it until something better comes up .

I have to look for a deeper cabinet unit .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I bought a couple of bargain safes for $20$ per at a gun store. Heavy with a steel cable. This weekend, i found half a key in my wifes SUV and the other half was snapped off in the lock. The key had been kept in the lock until needed and then put in the pocket. I realized trying to get the half out i could turn the lock mechanisim with tweezers and unlatch it as the inside merely was a shelf with a bar that turned via the lock. I think the result is the same without the key but i would test whatever unit you plan to buy. Not so good.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Ft. Know Pistol Box is the one to get but it's big and pricey.

I bought the Gun Vault MV 500 because it doubles as my gun case while on travel. It has a security cable to lock it both in my car and in my suitcase. It is low in height and will slide under some seats.

Full disclosure-I had one key pad fail after 2 years but I still use it as it in my car as it can be opened with the key provided.

I bought another one for bedside use because the keypad provides quick access. no problems with that one

All sold on Amazon. I use Amazon Smile to support the 2A Foundation.

This place sells cheaper models.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/car-lockers/

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I use a console vault in my F-150, works great and unless you know the truck most will not know the placement (lower console). I think that if you hunt around on the net you will find a console vault custom made for your ride. They are much better then the lock boxes with a cable. Vaults are harder to get into where the cable boxes are cut and run but better then nothing. Years a go I had a vault in the trunk of a car, super secure but not easy to get to. IMHO Chris

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/...MI_ffRoYyF2wIVw1YNCh3rCw8oEAQYAiABEgJTPfD_BwE

I use this thing in my truck but I also have a super secret factory hidden compartment. The safe is not the best and can easily be broken into but I bought a few when they were on one of those deal websites for $10 bucks. This safe, coupled with my compartment, gives me enough security but that may not work for your needs. Comes with a cable lock but admittedly if yanked hard enough it would probably rip from the safe. I also don't have the key feature, mine is combo.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    On another forum, I saw this installed in a Toyota Tacoma extended cab; bolted down in front of and between the two rear jump seats. It's something that I'm going to do eventually.

I do have one of these already for my home, will purchase another from Costco:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you have a soft top Jeep or similar, obviously you need serious security storage .

For a "normal" vehicle somthing to keep the honest people honest is a good thing . But the reality check for our area is that we have disproportionate percentage of thefts of complete vehicles vs thefts From vehicles .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The safe must be easily accessible, and completely concealed. I like the Tuffy console safes, have had one in the past, but planning, being discreet, and concealment are sufficient for most places where Carry is not allowed for one reason or another

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I have a little case from Bulldog that I modded with a Medeco high security lock. It fits my M&P Shield w/o holster and hides fairly nicely under the seat, but it's not that quick to get to. I obviously haven't tried to pry it open, but the bracket seems like it would do a good job of slowing someone down since there would be little to no leverage. The box comes with a cable lock, but the box is fairly easily pried open with just the case and cable lock. The cable lock needs to be back near the hinge, not near the front, at the front allows you to pry and pull the cable out of the box and walk off. In a pinch it's better than nothing I guess.

Mark

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    See that is my issue. I looking for something that is secure but also easily accessed but not in the open. In my charger the center console is pretty big but not as big as those on trucks it has the width but is maybe8-10 inches deep actually less since it has a tray that folds down. Since I stay in VA Monday through Friday I would like to carry but also be courteous to those do not like it or allow it like govt buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom