• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you have a boat, canoe or kayak, etc?

There's Rocky Gorge reservoir that has bass, stripers, and more. I've seen folk bank fishing too but being out on the water brings a lot more options into play.

On the north side of Columbia there's Centennial Lake. Plenty of bass in there as well.

Both sites have public boat launches.

As someone else pointed out,you don't need a license if you don't bring a rod, also assuming you don't "try out"your girlfriend's rod. Fishing is fishiing whether it's your rod or not.
    I do not have any boats or otherwise so would be just on the shore. I used to fish in Rocky gorge years and years ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I went striper fishing on a charter out of Calvert County on Friday. This was a professional operation with 20 lines in the water at once. We only caught one undersized fish shortly after dawn and that was it. Too bad! I don't know enough about the fish to understand why we couldn't find them. The sonar fish finder was blank almost the entire morning. Water too cold?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I went striper fishing on a charter out of Calvert County on Friday. This was a professional operation with 20 lines in the water at once. We only caught one undersized fish shortly after dawn and that was it. Too bad! I don't know enough about the fish to understand why we couldn't find them. The sonar fish finder was blank almost the entire morning. Water too cold?

We did the same yesterday afternoon. Had one bite 30mins in that spit the hook pretty quick. Few hours later I caught a 12" minnow basically. With less than an hour to go we had a big strike and I grabbed my son. He landed this sucker.

Captain warned me the day before that fishing had been hit or miss so I could always reschedule. Not an option since we were visiting from texas. We made the best out of a nice day on the water and the one fish was a bonus.

Attachments

• 20180506_174026.jpg
      20180506_174026.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 326

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

I don't think so, at least not anymore. The water temperature was about 5 degrees colder than the sweet spot of 57 to 59 about 2 weeks ago. It’s now 59 degrees, so I don’t think that it’s the temperature. I think that the striper fishery is being depleted, and that it will crash again unless there’s another moratorium.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't think so, at least not anymore. The water temperature was about 5 degrees colder than the sweet spot of 57 to 59 about 2 weeks ago. It’s now 59 degrees, so I don’t think that it’s the temperature. I think that the striper fishery is being depleted, and that it will crash again unless there’s another moratorium.

Talking to the Capt and mate of our boat, they said the same thing about the declining population over the past few years.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Talking to the Capt and mate of our boat, they said the same thing about the declining population over the past few years.

That's very troubling to hear. If that is the case, I hope they will impose a moratorium again so we can enjoy a sustainable fishery.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One so far.

Just released a short.

Day's total- Five dinks, one keeper.

Attachments

• 20180507_103007.jpg
      20180507_103007.jpg
      121.4 KB · Views: 266
    Last edited:

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Eastern Shore Pond

On Saturday starting 10ish. A few smallish bass, some on rubber worm and some on big o tiger stripe. Saw the shad running in a creek but no bites but I wasn't fishing - just looking. It was a good day - no yard work or honey do's.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    a 5.33lb and a 6.28lb Largemouth from Saturday

Attachments

• 31950250_10211851057896534_1238298775777181696_n.jpg
      31950250_10211851057896534_1238298775777181696_n.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 338

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Nice prespawn fish!!! Are they starting to get on beds yet? I haven't been able to get out yet. Hope to get out on Liberty Thursday.
    I'll take a guess of tidal water? upper bay area?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Is that new by the way? Didn't see the WSSC stamp until this year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It is not new. I got a ticket from DNR police about 25 years ago at Rocky Gorge for not having it. (I did have a fishing license but not the stamp)
    I assume they are still doing it. I think they call it a watershed permit. I believe it’s just for Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge reservoirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

That's very troubling to hear. If that is the case, I hope they will impose a moratorium again so we can enjoy a sustainable fishery.

I am not an expert, but I don't agree wit this completely. I believe there is a decline in large fish, but the number of young fish is very high. This is just from observation and what I hear from various captains that fish in the middle bay. I hope I am right. They have certainly destroyed the bluefish population.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    We did the same yesterday afternoon. Had one bite 30mins in that spit the hook pretty quick. Few hours later I caught a 12" minnow basically. With less than an hour to go we had a big strike and I grabbed my son. He landed this sucker.

Captain warned me the day before that fishing had been hit or miss so I could always reschedule. Not an option since we were visiting from texas. We made the best out of a nice day on the water and the one fish was a bonus.

Thats a great catch and memory for you and yout son! I’ve been out trolling a couple times in the last 10 days without a bite. Perhaps i need to go out on a charter and learn something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom