• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I did a lopsided trade (in my favor) for a Python a while back. Mine is a blued 8” gun. Beautiful aesthetically, and a tack driver. I would not pay full asking price for most, but I also won’t give up my Python.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    I did a lopsided trade (in my favor) for a Python a while back. Mine is a blued 8” gun. Beautiful aesthetically, and a tack driver. I would not pay full asking price for most, but I also won’t give up my Python.
    Far less eight inch Pythons in circulation than others. Pretty sure they didn't make the eight inch until 1980 and production didn't last very long. They also made the "Python Target" eight inch which was chambered for 38SP. There were 3,489 blue Python Target 38SP models manufactured, and only 251 manufactured with nickel.

Lots of different stories rolling around about the eight inch Python Target 38SP, but the fact is they were not big sellers when originally released in 1980. The most accurate account I have found is Pacific International Distributing Corporation bought the 8 inch 38SP guns (both nickel and blue), cut them down to 3 inch, converted the cylinder to 357, and called them the "California Combat" Python. This was the actual birth of the three inch Python. (The Lew Horton "Combat Python" came later in the 80's.) Not sure how many they made like this, but I have heard something like 200 blue and 50 nickel. If the numbers are accurate, then there are only 201 original eight inch nickel 38SP Target Pythons out there.

I have all three. Top to bottom on left: Python 357 Mag, Python Target 38SP - blue, Python Target 38SP - nickel. (In fact, I have two of the blue Target 38SP. One is intended to be a shooter, bought with no box or papers, but it's still like new and I have yet to fire it.)

Just an added note: There are quite a few "not original" eight inch Pythons out there. The Colt letters are worthwhile for these models.

Pythons.JPG

PythonTarget_1.jpg

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    I'm not a math whiz, but that looks to be somewhere around $20K worth of pythons! Nice collection!!!

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I paid $550 for a Python with a 6 inch ribbed barrel in .357 back in about 1986 with beautiful walnut grips, virtually brand new. Now I see them selling for $3000. I hope everything I own appreciates like that one did. I sold it for about $450 when I was hard up for money a few years later.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I paid $550 for a Python with a 6 inch ribbed barrel in .357 back in about 1986 with beautiful walnut grips, virtually brand new. Now I see them selling for $3000. I hope everything I own appreciates like that one did. I sold it for about $450 when I was hard up for money a few years later.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

I've certainly regretted a couple sales; ended up finding a replacement for one, years later. It just bugged the hell out of me that I'd been so stupid as to sell the thing, so I haunted GB until I found a reasonably-priced replacement.

And it wasn't even a Python, just a Smith M43 - .22 kit gun, alloy frame & cylinder. I still don't remember why I sold it, or traded it. But now it's replaced, I can stop thinking about it.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Far less eight inch Pythons in circulation than others. Pretty sure they didn't make the eight inch until 1980 and production didn't last very long. They also made the "Python Target" eight inch which was chambered for 38SP. There were 3,489 blue Python Target 38SP models manufactured, and only 251 manufactured with nickel.

Lots of different stories rolling around about the eight inch Python Target 38SP, but the fact is they were not big sellers when originally released in 1980. The most accurate account I have found is Pacific International Distributing Corporation bought the 8 inch 38SP guns (both nickel and blue), cut them down to 3 inch, converted the cylinder to 357, and called them the "California Combat" Python. This was the actual birth of the three inch Python. (The Lew Horton "Combat Python" came later in the 80's.) Not sure how many they made like this, but I have heard something like 200 blue and 50 nickel. If the numbers are accurate, then there are only 201 original eight inch nickel 38SP Target Pythons out there.

I have all three. Top to bottom on left: Python 357 Mag, Python Target 38SP - blue, Python Target 38SP - nickel. (In fact, I have two of the blue Target 38SP. One is intended to be a shooter, bought with no box or papers, but it's still like new and I have yet to fire it.)

Just an added note: There are quite a few "not original" eight inch Pythons out there. The Colt letters are worthwhile for these models.

Pythons.JPG

PythonTarget_1.jpg
    Beautiful !!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't you hate it when that happens?

I've certainly regretted a couple sales; ended up finding a replacement for one, years later. It just bugged the hell out of me that I'd been so stupid as to sell the thing, so I haunted GB until I found a reasonably-priced replacement.

That is why my policy is to NOT sell any firearms. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom