• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm going to get back into the 300BLK game and wanted to do a pistol. If you were starting from scratch, what parts would you go with? Will be used for home defense and indoor range. May suppress later.

Barrel length
    Handguard length
    Stock
    Muzzle device
    Sights/Optic

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm going to get back into the 300BLK game and wanted to do a pistol. If you were starting from scratch, what parts would you go with? Will be used for home defense and indoor range. May suppress later.

Barrel length- 10.5"
    Handguard length- 9" unless ALWAYS will be suppressed
    Stock - SBA 3 or 4
    Muzzle device - Whatever fits suppressor...if not suppressed, linear comp
    Sights/Optic- personal choice, red dot or 1-4, 1-8 etc

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    about an 8" barrel is the way to go, with pistol gas they function well, and blast is nothing like a 5.56, still get decent velocity, but it's tiny.

Handguards about 1" shorter than the muzzle, or a bit less than the rearmost port on a mild brake/FH. It gives you the most realestate, and the best position for a "C" grip. Where 5.56 can heat up a handguard within 2" of the barrel length, 300 is more forgiving, my 9" 300BO has a 9" handguard and a mild brake/adapter(Griffin hammer comp) with ports around 1/2" in front of the handguard/muzzle. You don't get blast on your hand with supers provided it's not hanging over the front edge of the handguard, and tucks about 1" of suppressor inside the guard, less powder residue on this guard than 15" guards on 16" 5.56 rifles.

SBA3/4 are awesome and use standard carbine buffer tubes, I have a SB-PDW on my latest 300 pistol build, same adjustment range, little wider/smaller footprint, more money, but looks awesome.

less pressure/blast than 308 means comps in 5/8" are less effective, and can be overly large, so a minimalist in whatever brand can you might go with is the best, linear comps/blast shields can allow shorter barrels for a given handguard, otherwise it's budget/prefference.

The caliber can reach out far enough to use 1-X scopes, and that is usually my first choice, but for HD, I like Aimpoint PRO. Just leave it on, no need to turn knobs or switches if you need it in a hurry, replace the battery every few years, proven reliable, fast, large viewable area, distortion free / minimal tinting, and reach out to 200yds without a problem at the range.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Barrel length- 10.5"
    Handguard length- 9" unless ALWAYS will be suppressed
    Stock - SBA 3 or 4
    Muzzle device - Whatever fits suppressor...if not suppressed, linear comp
    Sights/Optic- personal choice, red dot or 1-4, 1-8 etc

Agree

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    300 Blk likes/has best performance with 9 inch barrel right? the 10.5 inch suggestion comes from 5.56 ballistic tests i believe. Ballistic advantage has 1 moa guarantee and the barrels are affordable. https://ballisticadvantage.com/ar15-barrels/300-blackout . I have one (8 inch because they were out of 9 inch for awhile) but seems to be doing the job. KAK flash can on front and KAK shockwave on back. Dolos removable barrel / handguard. Still using red dot but want 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 for optic. Has performed flawlessly for last two years. The experts on here can correct me if i am wrong. Have fun!!!!!!

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    I just built one similar to what you describe. Put this together in SOTAR build class.
    JL Billet ambi 80% lower (fully machined by me prior to class)
    Aero Precision M4E1 upper
    Ballistic advantage 9" 300 BO modern series
    SLR titanium blast forward comp
    JP adjustable gas block (I would use SLR sentry 7 next time)
    Daniel defense MFR 10" rail
    Wilson Combat/BCM Starburst Gunfighter Grip
    Maxim Defense Brace with JP silent capture heavy buffer
    Geissele SSAE trigger
    Bad ambi selector
    Sharps XPB BCG (I may be the odd one out, but I'm a huge fan of DLC coating)
    BCM gunfighter charging handle
    Troy 45 degree folding HK style offset sights
    Vortex spark red dot

Total length with stock collapsed is 24"

This has run flawless from the first shot. Recoil is very mild much less then expected. I wasn't expecting much for accuracy and was pleasantly surprised. all 5 shot groups sighting in at 50 yards were overlapping holes. With the red dot sighted in I was hitting the 16" steel gong at 200 every shot. The 45 degree offset sites were very easy to transition to as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5008.jpg
      IMG_5008.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 313

MrRescuePack

Jul 7, 2019
    Maryland
    I just finished mine.

I went with the AERO precision AR15 M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver on my build. Although I made the process of building easy it limited my choice on handguards to only AERO precision enhanced hand guards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom